DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2Z OccuSync Glitch = Lost Drone

Future Farmers of America regulations?
Seriously, you deserve credit for accepting the fact that your flying potentially harms the rest of us who never EVER break the rules (fingers crossed behind my back.)
I hope you find it and withdraw my previous snarky comment.

Last edited:
I hope you find your Mavic as well. A Personal Articles Policy that insure the Mavic would have gone a long way to ease the financial burden of replacement.

Dont develop anxiety over the incident. Like me telling you not to will help :) LOL. Seriously you learned something valuable and are now will be more prudent in your flight paths and actions.
Heck , become an evangelist and educate others on the risks associated with reckless flying.

I am new to this website and a recent owner of a Mavic Pro. I am surprised that there is not a more direct response to your lack of understanding of UAV laws that govern your actions and obvious poor decisions during UAV operation. I’m also surprised you would post visual proof of your FAA violations for all to see. Please familiarize yourself with section 349 of 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act and it’s associated restrictions. As a 25 year plus military pilot (worldwide), commercial pilot and plane owner I expect everyone operating in NAS to understand and obey the rules for everyone’s safety. You have proven the need for these additional restructions. Especially the new written exam. My two cents.

Reactions: ssvdh66
Without pointing out the obvious pilot errors here I want to say Im so sorry. That just SUX! I know the feeling of panic from when my MPO got caught in a high wind gust and got carried away. Thankfully I was able to retrieve it in time to get it back home safely. Again so sorry this happened

Looking at all the posts and the flight log it doesnt seem like the MP2 crashed. More like battery drain caused it to simply land. Please keep us posted if you find it. Put ads out on social media like fb has a lost drone page. You never know. This story isn't over until parts or bird are found.

• Haha
Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
I am new to this website and a recent owner of a Mavic Pro. I am surprised that there is not a more direct response to your lack of understanding of UAV laws that govern your actions and obvious poor decisions during UAV operation. I’m also surprised you would post visual proof of your FAA violations for all to see. Please familiarize yourself with section 349 of 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act and it’s associated restrictions. As a 25 year plus military pilot (worldwide), commercial pilot and plane owner I expect everyone operating in NAS to understand and obey the rules for everyone’s safety. You have proven the need for these additional restructions. Especially the new written exam. My two cents.

When reviewing past incidents that involve flying in a non conformist and reckless manner the FAA has indicated that they prefer to educate rather than penalize in the majority of cases thus far. This is not to say the FAA has not taken a strong approach to those that are regular offenders or the incident grossly endangers others safety.

If by direct response you mean 2 guys in black suits from the FAA showing up at your front door with a summons to appear after investigating your flight that is just a real rarity presently.

In any case that does not absolve all of us from flying safely and within the current rules and regulations that govern our use of the Airspace.

There is a saying that is often used in the drone community and it is "Dont be that guy".
Meaning dont be the person that flys with reckless abandon and jeopardizes others safety as that will potentially harm others and create more restrictive rules for those that fly within the rules.

The Original Poster now understands this concept.

Looking at all the posts and the flight log it doesnt seem like the MP2 crashed. More like battery drain caused it to simply land. Please keep us posted if you find it. Put ads out on social media like fb has a lost drone page. You never know. This story isn't over until parts or bird are found.

How on earth did you conclude that it landed? It almost certainly crashed.

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
Oh - sorry. I doubt he fell for it though.
Just hopefully it didnt fall onto anyone or thing. I cant imagine the amount of damage that bird would do from that altitude nor do I want to. I didnt search for news stories near his area but since he hasn't said, or I missed it in the posts, it looks like it didnt slam into anyone or thing. I guess theres a slim chance its retrievable to at least send it to DJI..... Maybe.

Just hopefully it didnt fall onto anyone or thing. I cant imagine the amount of damage that bird would do from that altitude nor do I want to. I didnt search for news stories near his area but since he hasn't said, or I missed it in the posts, it looks like it didnt slam into anyone or thing. I guess theres a slim chance its retrievable to at least send it to DJI..... Maybe.

Retrieving it would enable DJI refresh to be used to get a replacement. I'm moderately confident on where it ended up, but finding it likely depends on cooperative residents.

No reason for signal loss that close. I always tape batteries in place when I fly, never rely on those plastic latches. If you lost connection the AC will flip back to P mode and initiate your lost signal action. Same thing happens when you exceed the 17.9km occusync distance limit no matter what mode you're flying in.

On the M2 it's a good idea to manually band and channel select as the software doesn't always do a great job. This pic is FCC, 5.8 with a single right side reflector. I watch the data rate for true a true indicator of signal quality and have seen 10mbps+ at 10km out before.

Last edited:
Forum won't let me add a pic to my post.
Flight test over deserted areas.

Screenshot_20190329-224206.jpeg

Retrieving it would enable DJI refresh to be used to get a replacement. I'm moderately confident on where it ended up, but finding it likely depends on cooperative residents.
You really think it could have ended up near there? Thats honestly pretty scary considering if it had fallen from the sky it likely could have done some damage.

It's tough to say where it would land. If the battery popped out the AC could drift a lot farther in the wind. Also depends which orientation it goes down, and whether a front arm folds in.
You really think it could have ended up near there? Thats honestly pretty scary considering if it had fallen from the sky it likely could have done some damage.

Im not familiar with the MP2's system differences from the MP. I'll admit once in a while ill sneak up to close to 1000 feet to snap a pic or shoot a video, tho I only have done that from directly above where I take off from bc I don't trust What do you think happened here from the point off disconnect?
It's tough to say where it would land. If the battery popped out the AC could drift a lot farther in the wind. Also depends which orientation it goes down, and whether a front arm folds in.
Has the MP2 had any reporting of the battery popping out after that long of being in the air? It was up there long enough to do whatever it was he was trying

Im not familiar with the MP2's system differences from the MP. I'll admit once in a while ill sneak up to close to 1000 feet to snap a pic or shoot a video, tho I only have done that from directly above where I take off from bc I don't want to take too much time up there. What do you think happened here from the point off disconnect?

Orientation doesn't matter much, because it is tumbling and spinning, which averages out the drag. Losing the battery (300 g) would make it go a bit further (red trace):

Reactions: Pietros
W
When reviewing past incidents that involve flying in a non conformist and reckless manner the FAA has indicated that they prefer to educate rather than penalize in the majority of cases thus far. This is not to say the FAA has not taken a strong approach to those that are regular offenders or the incident grossly endangers others safety.

If by direct response you mean 2 guys in black suits from the FAA showing up at your front door with a summons to appear after investigating your flight that is just a real rarity presently.

In any case that does not absolve all of us from flying safely and within the current rules and regulations that govern our use of the Airspace.

There is a saying that is often used in the drone community and it is "Dont be that guy".
Meaning dont be the person that flys with reckless abandon and jeopardizes others safety as that will potentially harm others and create more restrictive rules for those that fly within the rules.

ha

Nope, I didn’t mean someone coming to a persons house for enforcement. What I expected was an overwhelming disapproval from those responding to original post. What I see is additional posts from others that violate the rules as well. “Sneak up to 1000 ft” etc. Drone pilots need to clean up their own backyard when it comes to flight rules and aviation safety. Remember, we are all operating in airspace with restrictions. Just like roadways on the ground. My safety depends on others competence as well as my own. Looks like others on this website should try “not being that guy” as well.

Unfortunately we see flight behavior like this a bit too often in the threads and have now become a bit used to it (jaded) as we accept that some novice and not so novice uneducated drone flyers have not striven to understand the laws and regulations of the airspace. Usually young and entitled types that just think the Mavic is a toy and want to fly into low earth orbit.

Lots of members dont condone this flight behavior and would chastise , but refrain from posting what some would construe as negative sentiments.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb