DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 Battery Charging Times

The first battery was charged in the hub by itself for the first time. It fully charged after 6 hours. Battery #2 was charged in the drone for the first time and reached 100% charge in just under 2 hours. Flew both batteries down to 35%.
I then reversed the batteries charging method. battery#1 in the drone and then battery#2 in the hub. I got the same results as the first time. Battery#2 took almost 5 hours. A little better time, however no where satisfactory.
The first battery charged in the drone and completed 100% charge in under 2 hours.
Also to note that the indicator lights on the battery where moving faster while in the drone charging, rather than in the hub.
Thanks for clarifying your methodology. So it does not appear that batteries initially charged out of hibernation on the hub are damaged, as they will still charge properly inside the drone. That is good.

On the charger itself, separate from the hub, there are two USB C outputs, only one of which is orange inside the end, which is the end designed to be used for inserting into the drone, according to the owner's manual photographs. I assume that orange USB C output is the one that must also be used to connect the hub.

Is it possible to incorrectly plug the other non-orange USB C output, designed for the RC, into the hub by mistake? I have never tried the reverse, connecting the non-orange USB C to the drone. Is it possible people are connecting the wrong USB C output into the hub? I suspect the outputs are different power, as otherwise, why is one orange inside to distinguish them?

They will charge in about the same time as the M2 batteries looking at the charging wattage and battery capacity.

Those 4+hr times are probably when you have 3-4 batteries on the multi-charger, because they charge sequentially and not simultaneously.

I'll be holding out for a third party charger this time around. I want something with a discharge function and a balanced storage charge function.

It shouldn't take too long for 3rd party manufactors (e.g., Hanatora) to release a cheaper AND more versatile charger, for Mavic 3. I am looking for a charger which charges all three batteries at the same time, not one by one.

I am having an issue with excessively long charge times for the batteries for my Mavic 3— I have the fly more pack. The batteries (just one in charging brick, not all 3) is taking around 5 hours for a charge…I emailed DJI and they said I could either return the entire kit for a replacement or I could return the batteries and the charger. I don’t want to do either…I believe the charging brick is the problem. Is anyone else having similar issues? Any advice as to what I should do?
Yes. I spent an hour on the phone with a no-nothing rep. He wanted me to send in the entire Fly More Combo. I said, not an acceptable option. He said he escalated the matter. I am waiting, still, for the escalated call. Apparently the problem is widespread ad known and being ignored by DJI. Not sure its the batteries, the charging hub OR the wall a outlet charger. Never had any problems with the Mavic 2 Pro Batteries and Hub.

Make sure you are using at least a 65w brick. If you are using the brick that came with the kit, make sure you are using the cable that is attached to the brick to charge the batteries.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Make sure you are using at least a 65w brick. If you are using the brick that came with the kit, make sure you are using the cable that is attached to the brick to charge the batteries.
I am using DJI OEM equipment. The cable is an integral part of the charger and has a USBc male end to plug into the hub. Can't be done incorrectly. Obviously something is wrong and DJI Customer Support is of NO help. Flew again today. When the battery reaches 35%, Ill try again to recharge. It won't be an in hibernation battery, so we'll see. If frustratingly long, I try charging it in the drone. If it works well that way, I'll know its the hub or charger.

I am using DJI OEM equipment. The cable is an integral part of the charger and has a USBc male end to plug into the hub. Can't be done incorrectly. Obviously something is wrong and DJI Customer Support is of NO help. Flew again today. When the battery reaches 35%, Ill try again to recharge. It won't be an in hibernation battery, so we'll see. If frustratingly long, I try charging it in the drone. If it works well that way, I'll know its the hub or charger.
It can be done incorrectly because many early Mavic 3 owners did so. The second USB-C cable included for simultaneously charging the RC from the 65W brick, if used, instead, for the drone battery will take forever to charge.

For everyone else (you appear to be doing it correctly), make sure the thinner USB C cable permanently attached to the 65W brick charger, with the orange color inside the tip, is the one being used to plug into the drone with the battery inside, or into the 3 battery hub.

Update. Did what I described above: put a battery at 35% in one station of the charging hub, Result: a little over an hour to successfully charge to 100%. Have yet to put 3 batteries in the hub to determine if the sequential charging of the three is successful. Stay tuned. Am encouraged with the latest results. Also, no call from DJI as promised.

It can be done incorrectly because many early Mavic 3 owners did so. The second USB-C cable included for simultaneously charging the RC from the 65W brick, if used, instead, for the drone battery will take forever to charge.

For everyone else (you appear to be doing it correctly), make sure the thinner USB C cable permanently attached to the 65W brick charger, with the orange color inside the tip, is the one being used to plug into the drone with the battery inside, or into the 3 battery hub.
You're correct - because a USB to USBc cable is suppled, this cable could be use to connect the charging hub. I use this cable to charge the RC. I've not experienced any issues with charging the RC (the RC, not the RC pro or the RC-N1). Frankly, I don't think it would make any difference which cables are used for hub. Once I get this charging time issue resolved, I'll report back.

There is a difference between which cables you use for the hub when using the charging block supplied with the M3. The charging block has a USB-C cable hardwired to it and there is also a USB outlet on the side. The thinner cable that is hardwired can be identified by the orange colored ring around the end of the plug. This cable has a 65w output is is used for the charging hub. The other USB outlet has a 35w output and is for the DJI RC controller.

I made the mistake of putting three batteries in the hub, connecting the thicker, provided USB cable to the hub and using the thinner hardwired cable to charge the RC controller. The result was the controller charged in 1 hour and the 3 batteries took 16 hours to charge.

Bottom line is the hardwired USB-C plug is for the batteries and the extra USB outlet is for the controller. If you plug the 65w cable into the hub fully depleted batteries will take between 1.5 and 2 hours to fully charge In sequence. Meaning it could take 4.5 to 6 hours to charge all three batteries. The batteries with the ”least” charge will charge fully first and then the next lowest will charge. I know this is true because I put 3 batteries in the hub with the battery in the #1 position with 30% charge, battery in the #2 position with 15% charge and a battery with 50% charge in the #3 position. The batteries fully charged in the order of #2, #1, & #3.

There is a difference between which cables you use for the hub when using the charging block supplied with the M3. The charging block has a USB-C cable hardwired to it and there is also a USB outlet on the side. The thinner cable that is hardwired can be identified by the orange colored ring around the end of the plug. This cable has a 65w output is is used for the charging hub. The other USB outlet has a 35w output and is for the DJI RC controller.

I made the mistake of putting three batteries in the hub, connecting the thicker, provided USB cable to the hub and using the thinner hardwired cable to charge the RC controller. The result was the controller charged in 1 hour and the 3 batteries took 16 hours to charge.

Bottom line is the hardwired USB-C plug is for the batteries and the extra USB outlet is for the controller. If you plug the 65w cable into the hub fully depleted batteries will take between 1.5 and 2 hours to fully charge In sequence. Meaning it could take 4.5 to 6 hours to charge all three batteries. The batteries with the ”least” charge will charge fully first and then the next lowest will charge. I know this is true because I put 3 batteries in the hub with the battery in the #1 position with 30% charge, battery in the #2 position with 15% charge and a battery with 50% charge in the #3 position. The batteries fully charged in the order of #2, #1, & #3.
Exactly! Well said!

You're correct - because a USB to USBc cable is suppled, this cable could be use to connect the charging hub. I use this cable to charge the RC. I've not experienced any issues with charging the RC (the RC, not the RC pro or the RC-N1). Frankly, I don't think it would make any difference which cables are used for hub. Once I get this charging time issue resolved, I'll report back.
You must use the thinner, hardwired, orange tipped USB-C cable for the hub for a happy, sequential battery charging experience (charging the most charged battery first, to get you in the air ASAP). The other fatter, removable USB-C is for the RC only, no matter which RC.

You must use the thinner, hardwired, orange tipped USB-C cable for the hub for a happy, sequential battery charging experience (charging the most charged battery first, to get you in the air ASAP). The other fatter, removable USB-C is for the RC only, no matter which RC.
Just by intuitive selection, that's what I am using. the hardwired cable from the charger to the hub. I use the USB to USBc for the RC. I have not flown the M3 classic enough to have depleted all 3 batteries to see if the hub does what its supposed to do. My M3 issue, originally, was recharging one battery that, the first recharge took 5+ hours. Subsequently, I did recharge one battery from 35% to full in 1+ hour. Never had charging time problems with the M2 Pro batteries and hub. To prevent confusion, I have numbered my batteries for both the M2 and M3 - 1, 2, 3.

Just by intuitive selection, that's what I am using. the hardwired cable from the charger to the hub. I use the USB to USBc for the RC. I have not flown the M3 classic enough to have depleted all 3 batteries to see if the hub does what its supposed to do. My M3 issue, originally, was recharging one battery that, the first recharge took 5+ hours. Subsequently, I did recharge one battery from 35% to full in 1+ hour. Never had charging time problems with the M2 Pro batteries and hub. To prevent confusion, I have numbered my batteries for both the M2 and M3 - 1, 2, 3.
Is it possible that you used the wrong USB-C cable the very first time, when it took 5+ hours, from what should have only been 30% charge from a state of hibernation? That is the same time reported by others who did so initially, by mistake.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme