DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 drops from sky

Nah ... not necessary, it obvious what stopped the motors, it was the CSC command. That could have been ok depending on if the setting was on "Always" but if the OP never changed it (not certain if he was able to power on everything to check what the setting was ... or if he just goes with that he never was in that menu). Or was it at "Always" by default ... or did anything else allowed it to be considered as an "Emergency". Thank's anyway ... but it's all up to DJI now.

Unfortunately it powers on, lights up, flashes yellow and gives the beep but no connection is made to controller or app, tried to rebind too but it wouldn't make connection, even tried with the A2s remote. Id imagine something inside was damaged from that 200ft fall into the sand or getting wet with salt water.

I am confident in my memory though of not even opening the advanced safety menu, but that means I cant be sure what it was set on either without the bird connecting to check. Only setting I changed was for camera itself and the altitude restriction, didn't even change any expos or gimbal settings yet, just hadn't really dove that deep into it at that point.

Reactions: slup
I would be surprised if DJI intentionally shipped a drone with the response to the CSC position set to "Anytime". With such a short delay it is all too easy to trigger and I am fairly certain there would have been warnings about it posted on youtube by now or on here or other forums.
I suppose you could have got one that slipped through the net somehow but we may never know.
Realistically all we can do is wait and see what DJI say.

I think screen recorders are wonderful things for checking how settings were set and for missed warnings.

Reactions: RC_Powerz
Guess a call to DJI is in order - whether it turns out to be pilot error or not. Then they can / will make the determination.

With the M3 being so new - only a handful of people probably have many flight hours with it.

Hopefully not another - fingers doing something the brain is not actually telling them to do. Guess the real question would be - what were you doing that may even put the sticks into a CSC position in the first place? Those 2 spots are pretty out of the ordinary for flying purposes (maybe why DJI put it like that in first place).

Sadly, even the best and more advanced pilots have a SNAFU on occasion. Saw (not actual crash in progress) a few crashes by USAF pilots with thousands of hours of flight time in my 20 years of meching on fighter jets.

Guess a call to DJI is in order - whether it turns out to be pilot error or not. Then they can / will make the determination.

With the M3 being so new - only a handful of people probably have many flight hours with it.

Hopefully not another - fingers doing something the brain is not actually telling them to do. Guess the real question would be - what were you doing that may even put the sticks into a CSC position in the first place? Those 2 spots are pretty out of the ordinary for flying purposes (maybe why DJI put it like that in first place).

Sadly, even the best and more advanced pilots have a SNAFU on occasion. Saw (not actual crash in progress) a few crashes by USAF pilots with thousands of hours of flight time in my 20 years of meching on fighter jets.

So I was kinda performing a reversing shot with a arching descending pirouette turn at end to start heading to home point, but a shot I've done many times before on the Air2s and my Autels, perhaps just not used to resolution rate of this bird yet and went to far with the sticks, more than happy to admit my mistakes if it was a numkskull move, because if it was the bird itself and not me I'm going to be a little gun shy on pushing any creativity limits until that January update comes.

A true runaway and heading straight for a group of people would be about the only time I would use it. Yikes! o_O
My exact thought.
QUESTION FOR FOR DJI :
If you took off with a severe compass error and the out of control drone was headed towards a group of people (with in-flight CSC set to default “emergency only”) would this be enough of an emergency to allow you to perform a CSC?

I've been flying drones for 5 years + here in the UK. Started with Phantom 2, Mavic Air then Air 2S. Last week I had the first EVER fall out of the sky incident when flying the Mavic Air. I put in a new battery with 100% charge. I ascended to approx 20 metres to before deciding which direction to fly in. It suddenly made a horrible noise and dropped out of the sky. It plummeted and crashed into concrete right in front of me. There was no reason at all apart from what I guessed at as catastrophic battery failure. The battery had been charged maybe 70-80 times. Whatever all the data tells you, drones do just FAIL from time to time. They are a bunch of plastic and metal microchips afterall, which are fallible, we place all our faith in technology but it does and WILL fail.

Reactions: skordilious
...It suddenly made a horrible noise and dropped out of the sky.
I guessed at as catastrophic battery failure...
Well ... if the battery fails it's either due to that one or several of the internal cells falls under 3,0V & that in turn would initiate a forced auto landing according to how DJI have programmed their firmware ... or it will in some way render the craft powerless. None of these reasons will generate a "horrible noise" ... my guess is that your craft lost thrust in either of the 4 corners (failing prop or motor) which would have left the remaining 3 trying to abruptly compensate by altering the motor rpm's ... that would create an out of the ordinary sound ;)

...we place all our faith in technology but it does and WILL fail.
Couldn't agree more 😁

my guess is that your craft lost thrust in either of the 4 corners (failing prop or motor) which would have left the remaining 3 trying to abruptly compensate by altering the motor rpm's ... that would create an out of the ordinary sound ;)
If that was what happened, it would clearly show in the recorded flight data for the incident.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy