DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 more "fragile"?

There is no doubt that the M3 has some real "improvements" over the M2 under some circumstances. The thing with the AOAS is that while an improvement isn't fool-proof. I think it might be great in a "follow me" situation much like the skydio. We know that there is potential for it to shoot higher resolution images than the M2's or Air2s. The question there is will current monitors be able to see and take advantage of the extra resolution?
The advantages of shooting higher resolution go well beyond what display you plan to play it back on. Just to name a few on the video side:

1) More leeway for 'lossless' cropping/panning/zooming if your end goal is an output resolution lower than the capture resolution. You can worry about composition after the fact and have a buffer for making mistakes.
2) The ability to grab higher resolution stills from any frame within your footage which is more than enough for a nice print (a 5.1K frame is ~14MP).
3) Higher resolutions downsampled to lower resolutions will result in higher image quality (one reason why oversampling is used)
4) Higher resolution gives better color fidelity and better gradients

This is why 8K video is such a big deal despite 8K displays being quite uncommon, but all the same principles apply proportionately to lower resolutions as well.

In terms of still images, the drones in question are all the same resolution, so the advantages there primarily come from the physically larger sensor.

The advantages of shooting higher resolution go well beyond what display you plan to play it back on. Just to name a few on the video side:

1) More leeway for 'lossless' cropping/panning/zooming if your end goal is an output resolution lower than the capture resolution. You can worry about composition after the fact and have a buffer for making mistakes.
2) The ability to grab higher resolution stills from any frame within your footage which is more than enough for a nice print (a 5.1K frame is ~14MP).
3) Higher resolutions downsampled to lower resolutions will result in higher image quality (one reason why oversampling is used)
4) Higher resolution gives better color fidelity and better gradients

This is why 8K video is such a big deal despite 8K displays being quite uncommon, but all the same principles apply proportionately to lower resolutions as well.

In terms of still images, the drones in question are all the same resolution, so the advantages there primarily come from the physically larger sensor.
I get it. I think that if I ever acquire a M3 it will be when a refurb comes out which will take awhile, but patience will save me several hundred dollars should I choose to go this route. At this point in this area there is little going on from personal or professional projects due to weather, the lingering effects of COVID and other circumstances that suggest I not purchase anything right now as the warranty starts ticking away the moment of purchase. If I can pick something up mid spring I will be better off in several ways. Also it should give me a look at the EVO III and see what Autel has come up with. I'm sure they're aware they're competing with the M3. We expected a release from them earlier in the month but nothing yet.

I think that's largely irrelevant. I think the "advanced" part of the M3 is advanced NAVIGATION around obstacles more so than detecting them. I'm not sure that in most cases RTH would be affected as typically the drone is programmed to go to a certain altitude for RTH before heading home. If you're inside a clump of trees and hit the RTH button it would seem likely that any drone would run into problems. Programming the RTH altitude is on the pilot, not on the drone. And if traveling forward in RTH mode I would think it would see a barren tree and avoid it long in advance while seeing small tree branches or electrical/phone lines would be an impossibility for all drone OAS's anyway.
Actually this tester who does a lot of testing in really difficult scenarios does a RTH at the end of this vid. It flew itself out of the low position under the tree canopy , ascended but unfortunately stopped the RTH because of trees between it and the homepoint directly below. The programming was actually very impressive, though he did find a case it could not overcome. Didn't have any sort of collision though, and was directly above him where he could manage the landing from that point. I call it "mostly successful" and extremely impressive. I think his theory on the Advanced RTH programming seemed reasonable.

JUST NOTICED this is posted on page 1 of this thread. That's okay -worth watching twice 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadaDrone
Actually this tester who does a lot of testing in really difficult scenarios does a RTH at the end of this vid. It flew itself out of the low position under the tree canopy , ascended but unfortunately stopped the RTH because of trees between it and the homepoint directly below. The programming was actually very impressive, though he did find a case it could not overcome. Didn't have any sort of collision though, and was directly above him where he could manage the landing from that point. I call it "mostly successful" and extremely impressive. I think his theory on the Advanced RTH programming seemed reasonable.

JUST NOTICED this is posted on page 1 of this thread. That's okay -worth watching twice 😆

I saw that video a bit ago. The M3 does have some good OA but it seems that it slows the bird down significantly to avoid those objects. I guess that's the price you pay to give it time to think and respond. Other than the additional sensors I guess it has more of an intelligent mode to figure out if it can go around an object. If the M2 is traveling forward why could it be programmed to do the same thing?

Below I am posting the second video I've watched of a M3 making incidental contact with a tree branch and the gimbal not (fully) surviving the minor crash. It is obvious that the M3 leads with the dual camera and the top of the drone offers virtually zero protection for the camera. In a straight nose down crash of any kind the M3's gimbal is toast. OTOH, the M2, while still exposed has some protection from the "roof" of the drone. Also, the M2 has the possibility of installing a lens hood for added protection using the gimbal guard mount. FWIW I rarely if ever fly my Mini 2 without a gimbal guard and can know that on more than one occasion it has saved the gimbal from damage.

While I think there are some great things about the M3, it appears that you have to take an extra level of caution because almost any crash is gonna be an expensive one. Below find one video. If you want to see more check out 51 Drones crash vid.

View attachment 138495View attachment 138496

Mine has been held up in customs for 8 days, supposedly waiting on additional information from DJI for processing. Once it arrives I’ll be looking it over to see if I can design a guard of sorts that I can 3D print in carbon fibre nylon.

Reactions: slozukimc
Mine has been held up in customs for 8 days, supposedly waiting on additional information from DJI for processing. Once it arrives I’ll be looking it over to see if I can design a guard of sorts that I can 3D print in carbon fibre nylon.
I think a gimbal guard or hood for flying would become very important. In previous models it was pretty easy to get modest protection. Below is a shot of my Mini 2 with the lens hood attached. I don't ever fly without it and it has never gotten in the way. I know that it's saved my gimbal a number of times. The hood that you see has been cracked and superglued back together at least twice. Also I think leg extensions really helped. The first time the Mini 2 drove itself down, "pancaking" into the floor having bounced off the ceiling (long story about that), and the results were a hull that was split across the top, the plastic window over the lens got popped out and the lens hood was severely cracked. I sent into DJI drone repair service who fixed it at about what the deductible for DJI care would have cost, saving me a "ding". Had it not been for the extra stuff on it [ those who question registering their drones to stay under 250g pay attention] the gimbal would have been destroyed. Actually based on the value of the M3 the Care/Refresh is fairly reasonable. However, you only get TWO replacements in a year, with $159 then $199 deductibles with a $239 annual premium. I know that if I owned a M3 I would also add it to my State Farm policy. My M2P and Mini 2 combined cost me $60 annually... but I know I only get one claim and then it gets canceled. In my mind I'm reserving it for a catastrophic incident with the M2 where I'd get cash for the loss and then could buy another drone. The Mini 2 is an add on just in case and phenomenally doesn't boost the premium at all.

F11A9814.JPG

I think a gimbal guard or hood for flying would become very important. In previous models it was pretty easy to get modest protection. Below is a shot of my Mini 2 with the lens hood attached. I don't ever fly without it and it has never gotten in the way. I know that it's saved my gimbal a number of times. The hood that you see has been cracked and superglued back together at least twice. Also I think leg extensions really helped. The first time the Mini 2 drove itself down, "pancaking" into the floor having bounced off the ceiling (long story about that), and the results were a hull that was split across the top, the plastic window over the lens got popped out and the lens hood was severely cracked. I sent into DJI drone repair service who fixed it at about what the deductible for DJI care would have cost, saving me a "ding". Had it not been for the extra stuff on it [ those who question registering their drones to stay under 250g pay attention] the gimbal would have been destroyed. Actually based on the value of the M3 the Care/Refresh is fairly reasonable. However, you only get TWO replacements in a year, with $159 then $199 deductibles with a $239 annual premium. I know that if I owned a M3 I would also add it to my State Farm policy. My M2P and Mini 2 combined cost me $60 annually... but I know I only get one claim and then it gets canceled. In my mind I'm reserving it for a catastrophic incident with the M2 where I'd get cash for the loss and then could buy another drone. The Mini 2 is an add on just in case and phenomenally doesn't boost the premium at all.

View attachment 138607
If I can design a feasible hood I’ll post the STL file in the forums for others who have a 3D printer and would be willing to make them for members for just the cost of filament (likely <$1) and shipping

I don't get that sense. Its definitely made with a different thickness and type of plastic, which seems thinner. However, the design seems to me, it feels in your hand sturdier by its design.

I believe you can also set the M3 to use the "old" RTH method - someone correct me if I am wrong though please.

Personally I have never used RTH in my life, so for my usage it makes no difference.
I've never intentionally used RTH either, but my signal loss is set to RTH at a high elevation, to allow me to regain control, once it ascends above whatever obstacle was blocking the signal. I also cannot find a setting to turn off the "new" RTH method. Are we sure it can be turned OFF, to choose the old method instead?

Below I am posting the second video I've watched of a M3 making incidental contact with a tree branch and the gimbal not (fully) surviving the minor crash. It is obvious that the M3 leads with the dual camera and the top of the drone offers virtually zero protection for the camera. In a straight nose down crash of any kind the M3's gimbal is toast. OTOH, the M2, while still exposed has some protection from the "roof" of the drone. Also, the M2 has the possibility of installing a lens hood for added protection using the gimbal guard mount. FWIW I rarely if ever fly my Mini 2 without a gimbal guard and can know that on more than one occasion it has saved the gimbal from damage.

While I think there are some great things about the M3, it appears that you have to take an extra level of caution because almost any crash is gonna be an expensive one. Below find one video. If you want to see more check out 51 Drones crash vid.

Dude you wreck more than hardly anybody I’ve ever seen not trying to bag on you but I’m just a hobby flyer for five years I’ve never ever hit anything and I fly all the time around trees everything may be flying drones is really not your gig sorry I’m just trying to be honest with you and you’re always reporting something negative I bet Dji really like your videos ragging on their stuff just being honest other professional flyers have commented that the people that post are the negative the people that fly good and enjoy their new drone do not post kind of like me sorry to be so honest with you going to have to start being a little more careful man have a great day

Dude you wreck more than hardly anybody I’ve ever seen not trying to bag on you but I’m just a hobby flyer for five years I’ve never ever hit anything and I fly all the time around trees everything may be flying drones is really not your gig sorry I’m just trying to be honest with you and you’re always reporting something negative I bet Dji really like your videos ragging on their stuff just being honest other professional flyers have commented that the people that post are the negative the people that fly good and enjoy their new drone do not post kind of like me sorry to be so honest with you going to have to start being a little more careful man have a great day
Sorry Dude... But I do ok. I've only had two minor crashes with my M2P and an odd one with my Mini 2 in the year and a half since I started flying. Other than the Mini 2 which was an oddity my record is pretty clean, with no damage other than props and usually while trying to fly close to objects while practicing. I'm not a well experienced pilot YET, but I am a very seasoned photographer, revisiting video from shooting professionally decades ago.

Why do I "rag" on DJI... BECAUSE THEY CAN DO BETTER (especially as they push the price envelope) AND THEY NEED TO KNOW THAT SOME FOLKS AREN'T JUST GOING TO BEND OVER AND TAKE IT UP THE ***.

Is it possible they used a different grade of plastic to be able to achieve more flight time? Maybe the increased flight time isn’t totally because of the battery? Obviously the internal electronics and motors must be more power efficient as well. Some of which are probably lighter. Sorry to bump this old thread but it crossed my mind.

Last edited:
Is it possible they used a different grade of plastic to be able to achieve more flight time? Maybe the increased flight time isn’t totally because of the battery? Obviously the internal electronics and motors must be more power efficient as well. Some of which are probably lighter. Sorry to bump this old thread but it crossed my mind.
A 30% increase flight efficiency, by redesigning the props and the motor arms, is a major part of the increased flight time. Total weight is almost the same as the M2P.

The M2P gimbal is no more resilient than the M3. If you crash something with a gimbal on it, expect damage. If it survives, you got lucky.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The M2P gimbal is no more resilient than the M3. If you crash something with a gimbal on it, expect damage. If it survives, you got lucky.
Indeed! Completely agree! It is a very heavy camera on a very fragile gimbal. It's the nature of the beast, and it does a great job. Just don't crash it, though!

As long as it’s not the phantom pro material on the shell that I’ve replaced five times on the phantom just gets cracks my Mavic one and Mavic two pro have never had any kind of crack and it’s totally a thicker better plastic these kind of drones are not made to ever crash or maybe if you’re going to fly like that just get a cheap droneI never fly on sport mode what’s the point in that this is made for photography and getting great footage not Bruce speed and zipping around

The Mavic and Mavic 2 are just tanks !!

I think the arms are a tad longer on the M3, props are farther apart. The longer the arm the more likely they will get damaged in a crash. It’s one of the cons of a compact folding drone, less structural integrity. Your drone vibrates likely because the damaged arm isn’t sitting where it should and staying there, needs repair.

Bummer but at least you got a new one and your back in the saddle. If I had to guess I’d say lack of light is why it crashed, it looked pretty dim out, but that’s only a guess.

Good luck play safe.

E=1/2mv2

I think the folding front arms possibly collaps on impact, destabilizing the drone and exposing the gimbal.

Mass/velocity(quadratically) count for much higher total crash energy.

It’s not the fall that kills you, but the sudden stop..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salvator419