DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 review 51 Drones

MAvic_South_Oz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I like this guys reviews, so took a look.

Exposes the big weakness of the M3, the out there 'vulnerable thing' lol.

A good test, and failure, of the OA.
No real surprises, except I thought the OA is now so much better than the older drones, like my M1P / Spark, and even than the M2 sensors.

It does seem to be a lot better than 2Pro and other previous models. However, once the leaves are gone, it's asking a lot for any drone sensor to pick up on those tiny branches.

I will be curious to see how Mavic 3 competes with Skydio 2 once all its active track features are released. I suspect the Skydio will still have an edge, but the gap will be much closer than before.

I suspect the Skydio will still have an edge, but the gap will be much closer than before.

Think you're right there.
Skydio is pretty remarkable in the OA from numerous videos I've seen, but from others comments, lacks the refinement of the DJI flight and camera smoothness.

Reactions: 4006448
Think you're right there.
Skydio is pretty remarkable in the OA from numerous videos I've seen, but from others comments, lacks the refinement of the DJI flight and camera smoothness.

Of course, I was comparing DJI's weakest feature with Skydio's main selling point.

I was actually tempted by the Skydio 2 when I was looking to buy my first drone, but eventually chose an Air 2 because it significantly outclassed Skydio in battery, camera and range. Those performance gaps are even bigger with Mavic 3.

In fact I was somewhat tempted by Skydio 2 again yesterday because there is a big Black Friday discount. But I was reminded again that its sensor is comparable to a Mini and usable flight time is around 20mins... so I'm better off saving for a Mini 2 (for drone regs in Europe) or Air 2S for upgraded camera.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
What kind of idiot flies that close to trees on purpose?
That's not fair on Russ.

He isn't a moron flying into trees out of recklessness or ignorance. He is a product reviewer testing the limits of Mavic 3's OA technology. In his first review, lots of people complained that he didn't push it far enough, so he did, and found the limits of the technology.

Thanks Russ for doing this test for us that most of us would not be able to try.

I have been wondering what the Mavic 3 will do if attacked by a hawk. Will a hawk cause it to be chased away with me only being able to control by going to sport mode?

It does seem to be a lot better than 2Pro and other previous models. However, once the leaves are gone, it's asking a lot for any drone sensor to pick up on those tiny branches.

I will be curious to see how Mavic 3 competes with Skydio 2 once all its active track features are released. I suspect the Skydio will still have an edge, but the gap will be much closer than before.
A "LOT" better than a M2Pro? The way I see it it is a lot better in one or two areas, marginally better in others, and a downgrade still in others. I'll try to break down the way I see it.

4/3 sensor? A lot better, but depends on the use. If you think backwards from the viewer's standpoint one might consider the improvement marginal at best because it depends on the screen quality of the view. A lot depends on the post NLE that you use and how you use it. If noise and detail are the main benefit, then one has to ask ones self how often you shoot in low light. Dynamic range? Huge difference? Not IMO. SOMEWHAT better with the M3. Still images? I'm skeptical that you would see much difference at all and a lot depends on one's processing/grading skill level. Zoom capability? It is another feature that the M2Pro doesn't have (but the M2Z does). However the M3 lacks the zoom control wheel that the M2Z has (more on the controller later). The 7x zoom lens? Amateurish. I'll leave it at that.

Obstacle avoidance? Yeah, the M3 has better OA than its predecessors. 51 Drones proved that you can still crash it unless you're careful. He also pointed out that the size of the camera/gimbal makes the drone extremely exposed to damage in minor crashes. And let's face it, the gimbal is probably the most expensive part to repair/replace. One should expect more trips to DJI for repairs. How many shots do you have with the Care/Refresh per year? How much will it cost in premium and deductible for each crash? The design of the camera, while it is the M3's advantage it is also the Achilles heel.

Extended flight time? IMO this it probably the most practical upgrade of the M3. You won't have batteries that eject themselves mid flight like some M2's have done. Were I to go to the dark side and fork out money for the M3 I might be tempted to buy the basic version plus and additional battery for $209.

Basic controller. IMO this is a major downgrade from the M2's controller. It's heavier, larger and takes more space to pack and lacks a lot of the programmable buttons and one less control wheel than the M2's controller, not to mention the LCD screen that provides essential information in the event that your phone/tablet fails or it's too bright to see the details on the screen. But take heart... You can buy the dedicated smart controller (when availble) for $1200 more. To the best of my knowledge it won't be compatible with any other DJI model... but you can get the flymore package plus the controller for $4200 rather than spend $5k for the Cine version. Let's not forget applicable sales tax.

Questionable change? "Cine" mode vs Tripod mode (plus controller issues). The M2's tripod mode has a max speed of 2.5mph (4.02 kph) where as the M3, like the Air2s will fly up to 11mph (17.7 kph). I suspect the controller and max speed of the Cine mode would be less manageable in tight spots. One of the issues of this controller is that the sticks have "dead spots" and are not completely linear. The problem for some has been so much that some have designed devices to make the sticks more stiff to move so they can deal with the non-uniform performance of the controller. With the reduced speed of the M2's tripod mode, even if the contoller had similar issues, you weren't going to accidentally move the drone too little or too much or have difficulty with stick control, which also helped to manage latency.

Yes, some will find the M3 something that they really NEED and will pay up for it. I dunno, perhaps at some point if the EVO III doesn't pan out down the road I'll get an M3. My gut tells me there will be refurbs available sooner than other models, largely because of the exposed camera/gimbal which might present an opportunity that I'm not willing to pay up for at this moment.

As always, JMO

IF I purchase the M3 it will be after the updates in Jan. By then there will also be enough data and reviews to really allow for more of an intelligent decision.

A "LOT" better than a M2Pro? The way I see it it is a lot better in one or two areas, marginally better in others, and a downgrade still in others. I'll try to break down the way I see it.

4/3 sensor? A lot better, but depends on the use. If you think backwards from the viewer's standpoint one might consider the improvement marginal at best because it depends on the screen quality of the view. A lot depends on the post NLE that you use and how you use it. If noise and detail are the main benefit, then one has to ask ones self how often you shoot in low light. Dynamic range? Huge difference? Not IMO. SOMEWHAT better with the M3. Still images? I'm skeptical that you would see much difference at all and a lot depends on one's processing/grading skill level. Zoom capability? It is another feature that the M2Pro doesn't have (but the M2Z does). However the M3 lacks the zoom control wheel that the M2Z has (more on the controller later). The 7x zoom lens? Amateurish. I'll leave it at that.

Obstacle avoidance? Yeah, the M3 has better OA than its predecessors. 51 Drones proved that you can still crash it unless you're careful. He also pointed out that the size of the camera/gimbal makes the drone extremely exposed to damage in minor crashes. And let's face it, the gimbal is probably the most expensive part to repair/replace. One should expect more trips to DJI for repairs. How many shots do you have with the Care/Refresh per year? How much will it cost in premium and deductible for each crash? The design of the camera, while it is the M3's advantage it is also the Achilles heel.

Extended flight time? IMO this it probably the most practical upgrade of the M3. You won't have batteries that eject themselves mid flight like some M2's have done. Were I to go to the dark side and fork out money for the M3 I might be tempted to buy the basic version plus and additional battery for $209.

Basic controller. IMO this is a major downgrade from the M2's controller. It's heavier, larger and takes more space to pack and lacks a lot of the programmable buttons and one less control wheel than the M2's controller, not to mention the LCD screen that provides essential information in the event that your phone/tablet fails or it's too bright to see the details on the screen. But take heart... You can buy the dedicated smart controller (when availble) for $1200 more. To the best of my knowledge it won't be compatible with any other DJI model... but you can get the flymore package plus the controller for $4200 rather than spend $5k for the Cine version. Let's not forget applicable sales tax.

Questionable change? "Cine" mode vs Tripod mode (plus controller issues). The M2's tripod mode has a max speed of 2.5mph (4.02 kph) where as the M3, like the Air2s will fly up to 11mph (17.7 kph). I suspect the controller and max speed of the Cine mode would be less manageable in tight spots. One of the issues of this controller is that the sticks have "dead spots" and are not completely linear. The problem for some has been so much that some have designed devices to make the sticks more stiff to move so they can deal with the non-uniform performance of the controller. With the reduced speed of the M2's tripod mode, even if the contoller had similar issues, you weren't going to accidentally move the drone too little or too much or have difficulty with stick control, which also helped to manage latency.

Yes, some will find the M3 something that they really NEED and will pay up for it. I dunno, perhaps at some point if the EVO III doesn't pan out down the road I'll get an M3. My gut tells me there will be refurbs available sooner than other models, largely because of the exposed camera/gimbal which might present an opportunity that I'm not willing to pay up for at this moment.

As always, JMO

Was only referring to the OA there.

Thanks Russ for doing this test for us that most of us would not be able to try.

I have been wondering what the Mavic 3 will do if attacked by a hawk. Will a hawk cause it to be chased away with me only being able to control by going to sport mode?

Yes he’s paid to take the risk so after the previous gentle testing of OA, and viewer requests to push it some more, he certainly did put it into too tight a spot.
The upward movement was certainly unexpected.

Good question about the hawk situation.
I’d imagine if it was idling near the drone, or moving slowly, the OA might behave differently to older models.
Be a good test using another drone as a substitute.
Get ready for another crash review perhaps !!

edit typo

Last edited:
That's not fair on Russ.

He isn't a moron flying into trees out of recklessness or ignorance. He is a product reviewer testing the limits of Mavic 3's OA technology. In his first review, lots of people complained that he didn't push it far enough, so he did, and found the limits of the technology.

Yes. As someone who would never do that kind of test myself I do appreciate folks like him taking those kind of risks and sharing their results.

Reactions: 51 Drones
Seems to be a common problem Trees that is

That’s the sort of vegetation that should be ‘seen’ by OA sensors for sure.
I don’t know enough about the M3 sensors to know if the bottom (top and side ?) sensors are made same as front ones, or when they might be active (all the time, or only certain modes like tripod / cinematic ?), but if it’s marketed as having all surround protection they could be expected to work in that situation.

Was only referring to the OA there.
Noted.

I happened to watch an unboxing of the RC3 Smart Controller the is afternoon and was, as the Brits say, "gobsmacked". There is a surpsing similiarity to the Mavic 2 controller although the layout is a bit different for obvious reasons. Like the Mavic 2 controller, it has a 5d button, C1 and C2 buttons, two wheels and separate left and right start/stop buttons for video and photographs.

As I ponder this for a minute, the basic Mavic 2 came standard with the controller on shown (hopefully) on the right and al we had/have to do is supply the monitor interface- all included in the price. One would assume, that they could have continued making this configuration for the Basic and flymore M3's which have all the bells and whistles of the M2's controller... But, even with a highly jacked up price- no.

Now one can question the value of the screen and electronics put into the RC3, but it is a $1200 extra which considering the huge price jump of even the basic M3, at least to me seems quite excessive in total, especially because it is not backwards compatible, nor the earlier smart controllers forward compatible.

I guess trying to think forward of my next drone system this whole scheme that DJI has put forth has me a little perturbed. I recognized that new stuff and new technology generally costs more. Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder (purchaser). But it just rankles me to think that this whole M3 thing has gone into a level of "gouging". JMO

6e106d716b1055adbdc6237d7f0240d1.png
dji-mavic-2-zoom-remote-controller_2048x2048.jpg

Reactions: 72evenant
Compatability is an ongoing thing with DJI products.
What irks me is every model there are new batteries, suppose you can expect that for aircraft design and improvements in battery tech.
But it just seems like an easy way down the line to force upgrades, simply by making a battery obsolete for a model some 4 or so years old.

I love my old M1P controller, which is basically the same as the M2, telemetry on the controller in case of device disconnection or failure is always good to have on the screen.
You can get home quite easily by various means, even if you are out of VLOS a little (or a lot), as long as you have aircraft - controller connection.

I'm guessing non of the SC's have this if they lose visual ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman