DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA 2 Crash at 16000 feet+ and it wasn't drone error

Neko 506

Reactions
Hello fellow pilots, some months ago I searched the forum looking for information on flights on the Bolivian Cordillera Real area of Condoriri.

I can write now backed up with personal experience. I traveled last week with a friend into the high bolivian cordillera and packed my trusty MA 2 and try to capture our summit attempts. We scheduled our trip to take advantage of the better mountain conditions in the dry, sunny July weather. And as it turned out, we had prefect flying conditions all week long, with crisp blue, cloudless skies and 0-5 mph winds at the summits. Temperatures ranged in the 40 F to 30 F around sunrise (6 am local) and since I couldn't find solid information on whether or not the MA 2 would handle the alttitude conditions, I was a bit weary of any sudden changes in the manuverability or drone response to the RC, RC signal strength, interferance, etc.

It flies great! I began to loosen up and ended up doing quickshot takes, 0 issues whatsoever.

Pequeño Alpamayo summit

BUT I eventually got over confident and was not paying 100% attention as one should to my surroundings and on our way back after leaving the summit I decided to take a POI quickshot flight targeting the middle climber of our group and the drone smacked rigth into a rock face, only to fall down a 120 feet cliff. The drone was recovered but very badly banged up, I'll let you know if I can get it up and flying again eventually.

MA 2 crash at Tarija Peak

If you have ever wondered if your MA can handle that holiday mountain retreat vacation, but altitude is beyond the manufacturer's recommended limits, I will not tell to do it, but I can tell you, under my personal experience, IT SURE CAN.

Fly Safe!

Besides the crash, looks like a pretty good trip overall; the weather looks amazing up there! Sorry to hear about your drone, maybe the MA3 is in the cards.

since I couldn't find solid information on whether or not the MA 2 would handle the altitude conditions
All you need to do is look at the manufacturer's specs.

Operating Temperature Range -10° to 40°C (14° to 104°F)
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level 5000 m (16400 ft)

Sorry for your loss, but enjoyed the first video

Reactions: RodPad
You fixed it or did you get it repaired?

New members that make there first post.
Sometimes I will say, Stay away from Mavic Magnets (Trees)

I haven't hit any rocks yet.
Something I need to put on my To-Do List :rolleyes: 👌

Rod ..

Am I the only one who read the title and thought "What in the hell is this person doing flying their drone at 16,000 feet?" Then open the posting and see that you were up a mountain top LOL... Sorry about the bird... Looks like a hell of a trip..

Reactions: Neko 506
You fixed it or did you get it repaired?

New members that make there first post.
Sometimes I will say, Stay away from Mavic Magnets (Trees)

I haven't hit any rocks yet.
Something I need to put on my To-Do List :rolleyes: 👌

Rod ..
Got it repaired by a very handy tech, I haven't gotten into enough youtube tutorials to try a diy repair

Cheers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne