DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA first flight - Video Stutter?

sopaj96

Reactions
Hello, so I got my mavic air yesterday and did my first flight today.

First off the compass kept telling me there was interfece, magnetic.
I simply rebooted my drone and it dissapeard, odd.

So I took off, very slowly.
Went out about 5m only in distance, and around 40m height and the video stuttered, for like 1 sec max.
Im not quite sure how my P3 did with video stutters but I recall not having many at all, only the video got a bit pixelated.

Im really worried this will be the case every time I fly my Mavic Air...and I dont feel comfortable flying if its going to keep doing this. Maybe a Mavic Pro is better.

So has anyone else experienced small video stutters (in the app) while flying really close to yourself.
Does anyone have both the MA and MP that thinks the difference is huge, like 200-1000m distance?

I have the option to return the drone where I bought it, and get a MP but what if the MP is the same, or what if Ill miss some of the photo features of the MA.
Also my biggest concern is paying full price for MP when the MP2 is around the corner, Id rather no do that tbh. (Prices in Sweden for MP are still very high).

Also a side thing, is the drone supposed to be slow? I feel like its almost half the speed of my older P3 Advanced, like going up and down is super slow imo

Check the video on your SD card and see if it stutters. Mine will sometimes stutter on my phone feed, but is fine on the SD card video.

As far as magnetic interference, where are you launching from?

Check the video on your SD card and see if it stutters. Mine will sometimes stutter on my phone feed, but is fine on the SD card video.

As far as magnetic interference, where are you launching from?

The video stutter is on my feed, I was more worried about the signal getting lost since I get video feed stutters at that tiny distance. Unsure if I should get the Mavic Pro instead

What phone/tablet are you using? If it's an older phone/tablet, the feed will lag, stutter, etc. There is an approved list of phones/tablets somewhere in here...

Forget the video - you seem to think that a reboot is the answer to magnetic interference?!! If you want to risk losing your Air, then Carry on! The best thing to do if you get this warning is to relocate your take-off point, carry out a compass calibration, then make sure the drone location indicator is pointing in the corresponding way to the actual drone. Otherwise you run the risk of the compass getting ‘confused’ and you suffering a fly away! There’s loads of postings on here on the subject

Its possible you may have been experiencing a very low Remote Controller signal to your drone based on where your drone was relative to the pointing angle of your hand held Remote Controller . Look at this picture (see web site), http://i.imgur.com/CgnsXSC.png

The strongest transmitter signal radiates perpendicular from the long straight side of the antennas. If you were pointing the tip end of the antennas at the drone, its getting the least signal possible.

If the above explanation is not clear, then Google "dji controller antenna position" and look at some of the photos, that may help.

The further away you fly from your Remote Controller , the more important it is to keep the antennas orientation correctly with respect to drone location to get the maximum Remote Controller signal to the drone AND it works Exactly the same way in receive mode (Drone back to the Remote Controller ).

Good luck and let us know if your still experiencing the problem.

Reactions: sopaj96
What phone/tablet are you using? If it's an older phone/tablet, the feed will lag, stutter, etc. There is an approved list of phones/tablets somewhere in here...

Galaxy Note 8 so it should be fine

Its possible you may have been experiencing a very low Remote Controller signal to your drone based on where your drone was relative to the pointing angle of your hand held Remote Controller . Look at this picture (see web site), http://i.imgur.com/CgnsXSC.png

The strongest transmitter signal radiates perpendicular from the long straight side of the antennas. If you were pointing the tip end of the antennas at the drone, its getting the least signal possible.

If the above explanation is not clear, then Google "dji controller antenna position" and look at some of the photos, that may help.

The further away you fly from your Remote Controller , the more important it is to keep the antennas orientation correctly with respect to drone location to get the maximum Remote Controller signal to the drone AND it works Exactly the same way in receive mode (Drone back to the Remote Controller ).

Good luck and let us know if your still experiencing the problem.

That might make some sense, Ill give it a go tomorrow to see if flying a bit further away actually makes it better since its in the area of the stronger signal. Thanks!

However Im still worried that enhanced wifi might not be the best for non laggy flights around 500m away.
I fly in cities a lot

Forget the video - you seem to think that a reboot is the answer to magnetic interference?!! If you want to risk losing your Air, then Carry on! The best thing to do if you get this warning is to relocate your take-off point, carry out a compass calibration, then make sure the drone location indicator is pointing in the corresponding way to the actual drone. Otherwise you run the risk of the compass getting ‘confused’ and you suffering a fly away! There’s loads of postings on here on the subject

Hi mate, I dont seem to think it is the answer, I simply rebooted and I no longer got the same error message, thats not me assuming anything thats the app telling me nothing was wrong.

I did calibrate the compass after reboot and the home point was set.
I understand your concern tho, but in this case the app stopped giving me the error message.

Ill try another location tomorrow with less buildings around it and see if I get the same error message!

Hi mate, I dont seem to think it is the answer, I simply rebooted and I no longer got the same error message, thats not me assuming anything thats the app telling me nothing was wrong.

I did calibrate the compass after reboot and the home point was set.
I understand your concern tho, but in this case the app stopped giving me the error message.

Ill try another location tomorrow with less buildings around it and see if I get the same error message!
I didn’t mean to imply that you weren’t doing the above, it’s just that there are loads of new drone pilots on here that are ignoring the basics, and then wondering why they’ve had an accident or worse, a fly away! Hope you get sorted!

I didn’t mean to imply that you weren’t doing the above, it’s just that there are loads of new drone pilots on here that are ignoring the basics, and then wondering why they’ve had an accident or worse, a fly away! Hope you get sorted!

Haha no worries mate I fully understand your point and trust me I was a huge noob when I first got my P3A... but you learn from misstakes.

My concern with the Air is that the connection will never be reliable at 500m and up, and If I have a bad feeling when flying I will fly less.
I have not personally tested the Mavic Pro but it seems like I would have less concers with it due to occusync, I am not quite sure what to do :/

Haha no worries mate I fully understand your point and trust me I was a huge noob when I first got my P3A... but you learn from misstakes.
My concern with the Air is that the connection will never be reliable at 500m and up, and If I have a bad feeling when flying I will fly less.
I have not personally tested the Mavic Pro but it seems like I would have less concers with it due to occusync, I am not quite sure what to do :/
I’ve only been flying for a couple of months, so definitely fall into the “noob” bracket! Spend a lot of time reading on here & watching YouTube - learning from the advice....... and the mistakes of others!
I can say that, when operating in FCC mode, the range & video stability of my Air is excellent - recently did over 750m range. I think you may have problem with yours.

Last edited:
I’ve only been flying for a couple of months, so definitely fall into the “noob” bracket! Spend a lot of time reading on here & watching YouTube - learning from the advice....... and the mistakes of others!
I can say that, when operating in FCC mode, the range & video stability of my Air is excellent - recently did over 750m range. I think you may have problem with yours.

When you go to those distances do you ever get tiny tiny video stutters? Or smooth all the time?

Mine stutters and lags for 1 sec even at 50m height.
Only tried three flights so far tho.

Are you getting 750m in cities or open field?

Time to look into getting a 4Hawks Raptor SR antennae then...

When you go to those distances do you ever get tiny tiny video stutters? Or smooth all the time?

Mine stutters and lags for 1 sec even at 50m height.
Only tried three flights so far tho.

Are you getting 750m in cities or open field?
That flight was with direct LOS of the drone and with no video stutter (FCC mode)

Reactions: sopaj96

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007