DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA goes ballistic spins hits 90kmph and survives

Are you sure it's a hw issue and not just needing a recalibration? How can we tell the difference?

(not questioning... Just asking questions lol)
Sorry, maybe I should be more clear. I'm not sure it's a HW issue. But, I'm not sure it's a software issue either. I don't know and I don't think I will know. The OP will have to make his own decision, but, if it were mine I'd replace it.

Presumably there were several successful flights before this one making it likely that subsequent flights will also be successful. I.e., successful flights after re-calibrating doesn't mean that the re-calibration fixed anything. IMHO a valid test requires first the ability to reliably make it fail, then re-calibrating. If it then can't be made to fail then it can be concluded that re-calibrating fixed the problem.

Reactions: mad monkey
I have a question sar104, could radio interference cause that wobble?

I have a question sar104, could radio interference cause that wobble?

No - I don't see how that could happen. Neither the compass nor the inertial sensors are going to be sensitive to RF. It's likely an off-calibration or hardware problem with IMU0.

Wow
Very impressed with the analysis, thanks so much for the help I'll upload the .dat if it helps
@FlyPro-UK did you ever contact dji about the problem? I Sill dont know how i managed to reach 90kmph even if it was just the gimbal acting up. (though i did flick into sport mode)
I only have the drone a week, obvioulsy would prefer to avoid the hassle of dealing with returns!

( i changed the extension from .dat to .txt so that it would upload)
SD card speeds can cause the gimball to do that, had it happen in between two tower blocks, video looked like it was falling out of the sky, very scary, faster SD seems to have solved it

SD card speeds can cause the gimball to do that, had it happen in between two tower blocks, video looked like it was falling out of the sky, very scary, faster SD seems to have solved it

The root cause was not a gimbal problem; the gimbal was just responding to the aircraft's maneuvers. The IMU was causing the problem.

I had a similar problem with my MA about a month ago where it suddenly took off like a bat out of hell and started tumbling all around until I switched into sport mode at which point it suddenly stopped like nothing happened at all. The out of control length of time was somewhere around 30-40 seconds. It recorded 60 MPH ground speed. It definitely got my heart pumping. Also happened shortly after I got it and hasn't happened since. I did dig into it a little bit and surmised that it was most probably a compass calibration issue but I don't absolutely know for sure. I've flown a bunch since with uncommanded movements happening only a handful of times since and only for a second or so which seem to be related to signal interference of the signal from the remote.

Can anyone shed light on this?,
very scary 60 seconds with mavic air (less than one week old)
total loss of control, conditions on the day were reasonably good, light to breezy wind (has been flown in stronger winds with no problems), no traffic, no birds, open space, clear unobstructed line of sight between controller and aircraft at all times. i'll link a video of the incident on youtube and attach the log files.
I've had the drone less than a week, i had one other incident on day 2, Battery discharge from 89% to 0% instantly, luckily managed to navigate at low altitude to safe landing and recovery.

Is it possible to tell from log files what the **** happened? Its as if one of the motors failed.
I've uploaded the log file (95% sure its the correct one)

The MA is very impressive when it works, but have had two near fatal incidents within the first 3 hours of flight,
not very encouraging.

Problem?
Total loss of control 1600m from home 35m above home 95m AGL
Aircraft pitched and rolled out of control at one stage strafing at 90kmph
RTH engaged during incident, no effect, sport mode then engaged, no efffect.

Was unit in a crash?
NO, survived, recovered control after aprox 1 min,

What have you tried so far?

Manual control flight home, changed battery, completed further 2 flights at very close range without incident

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?
Samsung galaxy a5 wired to ma remote

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?
latest

What Go app version are you using?
v4 latest

Any modification? (if so what)
All Stock

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)
no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
HOLY ****!!! Yeah something definitely went haywire there. I wish I was a smart as some of the people out here and I bid you good luck. Hopefully you have refresh and or insurance bc I believe you may be needing it. Or send it back for a refund and hold out for the MavicII coming out in 2 weeks I think. Either way the great people out here will most def figure this out for you.

JayKay, how many flight hours have you completed ? What flight mode was flown ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78