DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA odd behavior

Endeavor

Reactions
First I will mention yes compass calibrated. now occasionally the MA will just drift sideways all on its own when sticks are centered. Last night at near sunset the MA just stopped and even with the stick all the way forward the speed was zero. I backed up a bit then forward and it was fine. I was 90 feet up in a wide open field.

Not sure about the sideways drift but the OA sensors sometimes confuse a low sun as an obstacle and cause it to stop. Was it in low light and fairly close to the ground when it drifts?

I was wondering about the sensors as the sun would have been in there "eyes" - the drift again was some 300 feet up over a lake. at neutral stick it was about 12mph

Okay, a low sun will definitely cause a stop, especially when the light is reflected off water. Turning the forward sensors off or changing your flight angle fixes that.

Regarding the drift, 12mph is significant. Have you tried calibrating the sticks?

I had this issue when I first got my Mavic Air. Compass calibration and stick calibration did nothing. An IMU calibration eventually did the trick.

This video gives an excellent explanation of what is going on...and how to fix it:

I had this issue when I first got my Mavic Air. Compass calibration and stick calibration did nothing. An IMU calibration eventually did the trick.

This video gives an excellent explanation of what is going on...and how to fix it:
Good explanation. Thanx :)

Reactions: Shon
IMU calibration worked for me.

I was really worried that I'd have a flyaway with this issue. MY MA wouldn't hover with any stability. The first symptom of in-flight problems to come was in hover, when it yawed, slowly and always to the right. Then it would start drifting and accelerating to the right. Trying to control it only seemed to make it mad and it would head straight for some immovable object, in one case directly toward a tree, another toward my motorcycle. In those cases, I was able to gain some semblance of control and onto the ground without incident. It would fly without problems, then suddenly, like a sullen teenager, go its own way.

Obviously I was scared to death to fly more than a few meters distance or high. After IMU calibration, I put on the new MAS rotors which arrived in the mail while I was calibrating and did some low altitude tests. Seems fine now.

I detailed this behavior because I had trouble finding this thread and maybe it'll help snag some people having the same issues.

The video was, by the way, great - the photos in the Go 4 calibration were, in my estimation, confusing. The video's clear standard, left, right nose, rear and upside down description made it all make sense.

Reactions: larryc43230
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas