DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA weak GPS, IMU calibration errors...

OG Steve-O

Reactions
Hey all. I’m new to drones and just got my Mavic Air in the mail. After updating firmware, calibrating compass, controller and IMU, I have ran into a couple issues.

I live in a populated area not like LA or Manhattan so I figured I’d give it a go in the front yard.

I waited for GPS for quite some time and decided (for a minute or two) to use Atti just so I can get a feel for it. After turning off the unit and the controller several times and about 12 Atti flights I decided to try against the next day.

I tried again and was able to get GPS located but was weak the entire time. I flew it about 200 feet straight up and there was no issues other than weak GPS.

Today, I again flew it straight up and got several notifications of no GPS, RTH... video was super lagged and I was only at 240 feet.

I am going to try to see if I can get to a less dense area to try it again.

Has anyone else had this happen? I’m just not sure if it is a hardware issue or a location issue.

Thanks for the input. Remember, I’m new. Lol.

More info needed.
New unit? Used?
Why did you feel the need to do all the calibrateing?

More info needed.
New unit? Used?
Why did you feel the need to do all the calibrateing?
New unit.
Initially when I took it out it gave me a “compass error recalibration needed” notice. So I did it. It took 2 times for it to succeed. Then, it showed IMU calibration error so I did that as well. Both were done after the errors.
I figured since those weren’t ok, I’ll do the remote too. Just for good measure.

nothing attached to the ac that would deflect gps signal?

At two hundred feet up, gps signal should not be an issue.
I would be looking at my return policy. Maybe post the flight log here so one of the experts can help decipher what it’s actually doing.

Ok. Thank u.

A couple of questions. Before I call DJI...If I change to 5.8 GHz WiFi would that change anything? Or are the GPS and WiFi separate entirely?
Lastly, should I try another location or do these drones generally have a solid GPS lock? Granted I understand every situation is different. Just looking for a reference point. Like generally these drones get GPS in nearly all areas. Is there a map like Verizon has of satellite coverage?
We had “Pluggers” in the army that took FOREVER to find satellites. I feel like this is the same situation.

GPS is not tied to the control signal to or from the ac. All it requires is a clear line of sight to the orbiting satellites. You could try a different spot, but based on your previous post, two hundred feet up should have cleared most obstacles.

Reactions: OG Steve-O
Starz- Thx for the assistance. It is appreciated!

I’ll try another area just to satisfy my curiosity. I’ll post again if you’re interested in knowing the conclusion.

Reactions: Starz
Is there a map like Verizon has of satellite coverage?
We had “Pluggers” in the army that took FOREVER to find satellites. I feel like this is the same situation.

The G in GPS should be a clue.
It stands for Global.
If the drone is outdoors with a clear view of most of the sky, it should get full gps reception within a minute.
Heavy tree cover or nearby buildings etc that block a significant portion of the sky view can cause problems.

We can check the recorded flight data to see if it's giving any clues that might help diagnose the problem.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Update...

After moving to a different location I found the ac to be performing normally and without any errors or notifications. I was able to max out (FAA specs) altitude with no loss of video or GPS.

My previous location must have poor GPS capabilities.

Thanks for the input.

The G in GPS should be a clue.
It stands for Global.
If the drone is outdoors with a clear view of most of the sky, it should get full gps reception within a minute.
Heavy tree cover or nearby buildings etc that block a significant portion of the sky view can cause problems.

We can check the recorded flight data to see if it's giving any clues that might help diagnose the problem.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Hey. Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, my issue occurred 225 ft off of the ground where trees and buildings weren’t and issue. With the initial compass and IMU errors I was contemplating contacting DJI for a replacement. I wanted a second opinion prior to doing so.

I have updated the thread.

With the initial compass and IMU errors I was contemplating contacting DJI for a replacement. I wanted a second opinion prior to doing so.
Without data all we can do is guess.
Post #11 tells you how to post flight data.

My previous location must have poor GPS capabilities.
The only kind of location that has poor GPS is one where the skyview is blocked by terrain, buildings or dense tree cover.
200+ feet in the air you should have perfect GPS reception.
Again, you must have missed the update
I didn't miss anything
Without data all we can do is guess.
If you want to find what happened, you need to look at data.
Post #11 tells you how to post flight data.

The data would be helpful for several reasons. It may help someone else with a similar issue now, and or in the future.

The data would be helpful for several reasons. It may help someone else with a similar issue now, and or in the future.
If my drone was having unexplained issues, I'd definitely want to get to the bottom of the mystery.
It's always good to know your equipment is reliable and not have doubts.

Reactions: Starz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02