DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 | Active Track 3.0 Highlights

Joe Foreman

Reactions
Hi all, I'd like to share some footage from the first 6 batteries flying the Mavic Air 2. All shots in this clip were captured with the "Trace" function.
Got some great shots, and have some fails as well. Hopefully sharing this video will help others learn how the tracking system works, and breaks, so you can get the best out of your MA2 as well.

If anyone has figured out a reliable way to keep the drone in front of the target, using active track, I'd love to hear how, and at what speeds it maintains the front position before whipping around to the rear?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Love the video.

I was wondering if you could turn the camera left or right and fly in parallel? Using the front sensors more...? Maybe
Thanks! Yeah I think I will try your suggestion. Unfortunately the manual says that " ...the aircraft cannot sense obstacles in Parallel." That said I think if I scout the path/altitude then this will be viable + I could pop it into sports mode to keep up too.

I figured if it was going directly backwards it would use the rear sensors, but not sure how to get it to "stick" in front.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Nice video. I can see AT 3.0 is a lot better; 2.0 didn't handle sharp turns that well.

Thanks! Yeah I think I will try your suggestion. Unfortunately the manual says that " ...the aircraft cannot sense obstacles in Parallel." That said I think if I scout the path/altitude then this will be viable + I could pop it into sports mode to keep up too.

I figured if it was going directly backwards it would use the rear sensors, but not sure how to get it to "stick" in front.
Probably not a way to keep it in front indefinitely, or they would surely advertise that ability. But i think the more directly in front you start it, and the more of a straight line you travel, probably the longer it will stay in front. Also, starting from fairly far away. Tests! I want tests! One workaround, if there are not obstacles or you fly above them, would be to use spotlight and manually fly the drone backwards as you approach it. You wouldn't want to do that while riding a bike, but for a walk or a hike you could get some cool tracking shots from in front..

Reactions: Joe Foreman
Actually, it is possible to turn the camera left and right while flying forward or hovering. Tap and hold the screen and drag left or right. You'll see: the camera is panning left or right depending on your finger movement. Works also for up and down.

Really good video, and a remarkable result! The way it avoids every obstacle you throw in the way and still keeps tracking the vast majority of the time is utterly amazing.

I was trying trace last night on my Mavic 2 Zoom in my drive, and was walking slowly. It seemed to work, but I'm not sure I trust it, but this is another level.

Hi all, I'd like to share some footage from the first 6 batteries flying the Mavic Air 2. All shots in this clip were captured with the "Trace" function.
Got some great shots, and have some fails as well. Hopefully sharing this video will help others learn how the tracking system works, and breaks, so you can get the best out of your MA2 as well.
Very impressive results (and the skate boarding was pretty good as well!)

Thanks for the comments so far everyone, I've done some more testing over the last couple of days and furthered my understanding of the tracking system. The next video compilation will include some fast moving tracked orbits (these are my new favourites), parallel tracks and follow traces from the front, as well as some useful spotlight shots. Quite the tool kit for gathering footage when you are the primary focus of the shot. Everyday has been a pleasure shooting with this little bird so far. Any additional requests for shots or tests?

Looking forward to the next video! Also, I was wondering if the MA2 is able to track from a very low angle close to the ground like the MA1 is when it is in gesture mode; like what you see in this video

Every active track video of the MA2 I have seen seems to be from a rather elevated position and from quite some distance.

Looking forward to the next video! Also, I was wondering if the MA2 is able to track from a very low angle close to the ground like the MA1 is when it is in gesture mode; like what you see in this video

Every active track video of the MA2 I have seen seems to be from a rather elevated position and from quite some distance.

Yeah I think I got a shot like that yesterday. It does have a preference to go a bit higher though, and once any sort of OA sensor is triggered I'd say it elevates slightly to have some tolerance, much like it does in the video you linked after 1min55 or so. Minimum hight it allows is 1m from memory.

I know I am late to the game (newby here) but thanks so much for posting that. It was so interesting. Tracking video is one of the main reasons I wanted a drone. I've got a ways to go, but your vid has given me some comfort to let my drone follow me (and my dogs) and allow it to avoid things on its own.

I know I am late to the game (newby here) but thanks so much for posting that. It was so interesting. Tracking video is one of the main reasons I wanted a drone. I've got a ways to go, but your vid has given me some comfort to let my drone follow me (and my dogs) and allow it to avoid things on its own.
You're welcome. Yeah it takes a level of trust in the technology for sure. It was watching other peoples tracking videos that gave me the confidence, so I'm glad I could pay it forward :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661