DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 and Northern Lights

G3 isn't horrible space weather, but can be risky to the GPS signals that might be difficult to receive. The Aurora forecast for the western US doesn't look very good - click the play button - but worth looking north to see if the glow is visible.

But the Air 2 camera doesn't do well in low light. You can try the camera by simply holding the drone and having a look at the screen image. If you see something nice on screen, then it might be worth trying a launch - just be sure the drone has a GPS fix and homepoint set before launching.

I have tried a couple of times to get a photo but its kind of like trying to capture the moon. The lights are off in the horizon and very far away so if your not up in the artic I do not think the results will be all that great but I will be looking forward to your photos if you manage to get any.

I have a chance to see the Northern Lights tonight. Is it possible to video or still shot it with my MA2? Or should I stick with my land camera?
Considering how many incredible shots we have gotten of the Lightning at night with the Air 2 you should be ok.

I would do as many wide Panos as possible and try to frame the shot to keep it as interesting as possible rather than just the sky , try to include as many elements as possible . You can also use your 2 x zoom and steal some frames from the video , those might capture some magic also.

Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.
Phantomrain.org

I have a chance to see the Northern Lights tonight. Is it possible to video or still shot it with my MA2? Or should I stick with my land camera?
Here's a basic guide for aurora photography:

The need for long exposures and high iso, suggests the drone would not be the best camera to use.

If only we could see them from here. I actually paid for a flight up there from Bristol a while ago and whilst we did see a faint green glow north of the Isles of Skye it was never spectacular. Bonne Chance. Hi

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01