DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Attitude / Compass

Winngrip

Reactions
I have an observation. I have a new MA2 and the attitude/ compass seems off to me. When I point the drone at dead North on the indicator it actually pointing to 320° not 360°. I have recalibrated the compass and the imu twice. All firmware is up to date. I’m still working on that problem but I am sure afraid to try and bring it home using the Attitude/ Compass. I noticed this problem after the App update

Could it be a magnetic verses true north thing? In Oregon, I think the error would be the opposite direction.

Could it be a magnetic verses true north thing? In Oregon, I think the error would be the opposite direction.
I was a real pilot for years. This is a big deflection and if I were using it to get back I could end up way off course depending on how far out I was to being with

Reactions: Galeforce1
I have an observation. I have a new MA2 and the attitude/ compass seems off to me. When I point the drone at dead North on the indicator it actually pointing to 320° not 360°. I have recalibrated the compass and the imu twice. All firmware is up to date. I’m still working on that problem but I am sure afraid to try and bring it home using the Attitude/ Compass. I noticed this problem after the App update
This has nothing to do with the IMU so recalibrating that wouldn't make any difference.
And it has nothing to do with the drone's compass either.
Plus, if you had IMU or compass issues, your drone wouldn't have been flying properly.

The issue is to do with the compass in your phone.

The reason is that magnetic influences in the phone and/or controller are deflecting the phone's compass.
This is giving a false reading so the phone doesn't accurately know which way the phone is pointing.
The solution is to recalibrate the compass in your phone with the phone in the controller with it powered on.

I was a real pilot for years. This is a big deflection and if I were using it to get back I could end up way off course depending on how far out I was to being with
Even with the phone's compass being in error, you could still fly home by just flying towards the centre point of the orientation display.

Have you checked it on the map of the app ? e.g. if the drone is pointing along the direction of a road, does the red arrow on the map point to the same direction ? if it doesn't, this can be a big problem. The drone will not be able to hold position or course but I believe that's not happening on your drone.

Last edited:
The solution is to recalibrate the compass in your phone with the phone in the controller with it powered on.
Correct! Just roll the simulated marble around in the virtual circle, in a figure 8 motion, as depicted in multiple YT videos! Works every time, and does not require interrupting the flight, as you are able to keep your hands on the sticks while doing it! Thumbswayup The Hall effect is adversely affecting the phone/tablet compass during flight and recalibrating the compass fixes it.

This has nothing to do with the IMU so recalibrating that wouldn't make any difference.
Plus, if you had IMU or compass issues, your drone wouldn't have been flying properly.

The reason is that magnetic influences in the phone and/or controller are deflecting the phone's compass.
This is giving a false reading so the phone doesn't accurately know which way the phone is pointing.
interesting solution and I believe that every time I have calibrated the compass the iPhone 11 has been connect to the system, but I will try that just to make sure
Thanks

Correct! Just roll the simulated marble around in the virtual circle, in a figure 8 motion, as depicted in multiple YT videos! Works every time, and does not require interrupting the flight, as you are able to keep your hands on the sticks while doing it! Thumbswayup The Hall effect is adversely affecting the phone/tablet compass during flight and recalibrating the compass fixes it.
well thanks so much again I will try that in the morning

interesting solution and I believe that every time I have calibrated the compass the iPhone 11 has been connect to the system, but I will try that just to make sure
What you are saying isn't exactly clear.
I was only talking about calibrating the phone's compass.
The process is quite different and separate from calibrating the drone's compass.
Have you calibrated the phone compass or just the drone's compass?

Short and clear....

Blow that indicator off, its useless. Use that map in the lower left corner to bring it home if you need, there is always that red straight line that points directly to you from your drone, line it up and it will bring it straight back every time!

Reactions: rxlawdude and Dbez1
Blow that indicator off, its useless. Use that map in the lower left corner to bring it home if you need, there is always that red straight line that points directly to you from your drone, line it up and it will bring it straight back every time!
So what, if we do not undestand something, it is useless...this is one of the best improvement in this update. But sure, we are soo better than DJI team, isn't it A.Q?

So what, if we do not undestand something, it is useless...this is one of the best improvement in this update. But sure, we are soo better than DJI team, isn't it A.Q?
You may like it but it is useless to me.. I never said I was better than anyone, don't talk for me! I only said in my opinion the Attitude indicator is worthless compared to the orientation indicator that used to be there and gave me useful information!!!

Reactions: Sjkieffer
You may like it but it is useless to me.. I never said I was better than anyone, don't talk for me! I only said in my opinion the Attitude indicator is worthless compared to the orientation indicator that used to be there and gave me useful information!!!
The new attitude indicator tells you the wind speed and direction the importance of which needs no explanation. For those coming from the GO APP, this is a long-awaited improvement of the FLY APP.

The new attitude indicator tells you the wind speed and direction the importance of which needs no explanation. For those coming from the GO APP, this is a long-awaited improvement of the FLY APP.
The indicator on the go app from what I can tell works, this one not so much!

The indicator on the go app from what I can tell works, this one not so much!
To be fair, the last update fixed your issue of 90° out, it is you that choose not to update to it, And that is fine. But from all other reports the latest App software is working perfectly. Let's keep things in perspective :)

Use that map in the lower left corner to bring it home if you need, there is always that red straight line that points directly to you from your drone, line it up and it will bring it straight back every time!
Yes, works every time for me when I have lost VLOS in an unfamiliar area and need to get her back. As an added bonus, if you keep the red line straight up and down as shown here the RC antenna is lined up with the aircraft.

1613772240210.png

Reactions: A.O.
To be fair, the last update fixed your issue of 90° out, it is you that choose not to update to it, And that is fine. But from all other reports the latest App software is working perfectly. Let's keep things in perspective :)
And well you are incorrect, all latest updates have been done, so YOU keep things in perspective!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito