DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Auxiliary Light

StantonZ

Reactions
Has anyone tried replacing the (built-in) aux light with something brighter? Does anyone have the part number of what's in there so I could research possible replacements? All I know is that it's a "plug-in" type of LED/module and runs on 3v.

Has anyone tried replacing the (built-in) aux light with something brighter? Does anyone have the part number of what's in there so I could research possible replacements? All I know is that it's a "plug-in" type of LED/module and runs on 3v.
Depending upon your reason for wanting it brighter, you might instead consider putting a wide angle diffuser over it so it can also be seen when flying towards you. I use the bare existing LED to locate the aircraft in the sky for landing after sunset. As long as it is higher than your launch point, you should immediately see it as soon as you hover. To make the light even more directionally pointed towards you from farther away ("brighter"), fly backwards. In normal flight towards you, it is tipped away, and not easily seen.

Last edited:
Depending upon your reason for wanting it brighter, you might instead consider putting a wide angle diffuser over it so it can also be seen when flying towards you. I use it to locate the aircraft in the sky for landing after sunset. As long as it is higher than your launch point, you should immediately see it as soon as you hover. To make the light even more directionally pointed towards you from farther away ("brighter"), fly backwards. In normal flight towards you, it is tipped away, and not easily seen.
GadgetGuy, I am interested in the wide angle diffuser. Is that something you made or is there a commercial product?
I also use the light to spot the drone near dusk. Depending on the angle, I have to rock the drone back and forth while it is hovering in order to get a good fix on it. A diffuser would be the perfect answer.

Just by some Firehouse anti-collision lights. Not sure why you just want to use the landing light. Anti collision lights don't add any significant weight. You can place them in a direction as to not affect the camera, if that's what your worried about. The FAA requires anti-collision lights after sunset anyway. I use velcro, to attach mine.

Just by some Firehouse anti-collision lights.
Been there, done that (and am very happy with my strobe light). I am considering options with the built-in light/port, and the diffuser suggestion is intriguing (waiting on a part number/link).

Reactions: AVLJMA
Been there, done that (and am very happy with my strobe light). I am considering options with the built-in light/port, and the diffuser suggestion is intriguing (waiting on a part number/link).
That would be great if you succeed at creating a really bright strobe in place of the landing light. That way, you could turn it on or off. Is there a way to make it flash bright enough to get it to the FAAs 3 mile mark. Could you use a capacitor that gets charged to a point, then releases it's higher charge into the new LED creating a highly intense flash?? Or are you just trying to make a brighter constant light to see your drone from a longer distance? I personally like the flashing/capacitor idea.

Or are you just trying to make a brighter constant light to see your drone from a longer distance? I personally like the flashing/capacitor idea.
I have the flashing (strobe) light already attached; what I'm after is a brighter LED to replace the existing 'standard' LED. The (exact) replacement part is about $10, so if there's a (pin/voltage) compatible brighter LED available, I'm willing to do some simple soldering to modify a replacement light.

GadgetGuy, I am interested in the wide angle diffuser. Is that something you made or is there a commercial product?
I also use the light to spot the drone near dusk. Depending on the angle, I have to rock the drone back and forth while it is hovering in order to get a good fix on it. A diffuser would be the perfect answer.
I found this, which is a reflector, rather than a diffuser, but it should accomplish the task, if you don't mind the extra drag, depending upon your mission at night.
However, I have seen ads in the past for small translucent diffusers that were designed to be mounted over the LED to enable viewing it even when the LED points away. I'm sure you could fashion one from any small flash diffuser that was hemispherically shaped, and just attach it with double sided tape, or use velcro around the perimeter of the LED. The benefit of using the LED is to have control of the light to turn it off once you have the aircraft well in sight, so you don't nightblind yourself with the LED, as you try and hand catch in the dark! Make sure it is truly OFF and not back in Auto!

Just use a clear plastic top cap from any recyclable plastic water or soda bottle, or go really high tech and cut the tip off one of these and attach it. The longer the piece you cut off, the more visible it will be from any direction during flight.
Here's another to try, made of silicone (they can't spell!)
Just cut to the size diffuser that you want.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldutson