DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Microchip Overheat Warning When Just Turned On

Flyist

Reactions
Drone: Mavic Air 2.
Time: Immediately on RC connection to drone & drone is cold (room temp)
Warning: Microchip overheating in red and upper left corner of iPad screen
Effect: Press takeoff and nothing happens

Okay, that out of the way, let me say that this has happened in the last two days. It could be the fan doesn't move. I don't know. I turn the drone off, then on, and I still get the warning. I turn it off and on again and the warning still comes up. I turn it off and on a third time and this time, I am able to fly. That seems to work but I am afraid the problem may worsen.

I don't know if the problem is in the hardware, firmware, or software. I haven't found anybody else with this exact situation. I did find one YouTube where the guy described a fan/overheating issue and a long, drawn-out correspondence with DJI, which he found frustrating.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I can't provide a log because it happens only when I can fly and thus no microchip overheating problem.

Drone: Mavic Air 2.
Time: Immediately on RC connection to drone & drone is cold (room temp)
Warning: Microchip overheating in red and upper left corner of iPad screen
Effect: Press takeoff and nothing happens

Okay, that out of the way, let me say that this has happened in the last two days. It could be the fan doesn't move. I don't know. I turn the drone off, then on, and I still get the warning. I turn it off and on again and the warning still comes up. I turn it off and on a third time and this time, I am able to fly. That seems to work but I am afraid the problem may worsen.

I don't know if the problem is in the hardware, firmware, or software. I haven't found anybody else with this exact situation. I did find one YouTube where the guy described a fan/overheating issue and a long, drawn-out correspondence with DJI, which he found frustrating.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I can't provide a log because it happens only when I can fly and thus no microchip overheating problem.
Can you screen shot the actual warning as I have yet to see that one.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain.

Reactions: db4476
I had this happen with my M2 pro. Almost exactly same thing except I didn't catch it in time and the CPU smoked. Mine was due to blocked air intakes after stupidly letting it sit for a some time turned on (props not running). I was preparing for a waypoint flight and I got distracted by a passerby asking about the drone. No air passing over the board caused a severe overheat. I turned the drone off, then on. Same thing. Turned on a third time, within the 30 secs of trying to figure out what the issue was, I got a severe overheat error and almost immediately the main cpu smoked. One written off drone.

I had been flying from a beach (with landing pad) but sufficient sand, dust etc got sucked into the small filters and blocked them and also stopped the fan. It had never happened to me before and I didn't know what I didn't know. I know now.

I didn't bother with trying to get anything out of DJI as it was 100% my error. I used my care refresh. However, after talking to the local tech about what happened (he confirmed the cause) when I picked it up my new drone, next time I checked online, they had reinstated that care refresh+ without my asking. Brilliant customer care.

My advice, check your air intakes and also listen for the fan. If the fan is not working, either take a look yourself (if confident) or send it in. Don't risk turning it on for longer than it takes to check the fan as the results could be expensive.

Now after beach or dusty area flying, I use a cheap Aldi airbrush compressor to carefully clean out the filters and internals, as well as motors etc. and carry out a quick visual inspection.

Thanks for the response. That was good information. My MA2 doesn't have that problem. Upon inspection the screens and filters are found to be clean. The drone is almost brand new, having been nowhere near dirt, sand, or grime. It has only gone from the house to clean paving in the back yard. Yesteday the warning of "microchip overheating" didn't come up at all. So the mystery remains. I can only wait and see.

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
My first MA2 had a cpu overheating issue within 24 hours of opening the box. I opened a support ticket and was advised to take it back to the store I got it from and exchange it. The second unit works fine with exactly the same handling/treatment as the first. I did try flying the first one back in January with near freezing temps and the MA2 would immediately invoke RTH with the overheating error message displayed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00