DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 powered off in a crash

macfawlty

Reactions
I was flying my MA2 over a golf course recently, caught a limb on a tall tree, crashed to the ground, powered off. It was approximately 400-500 yds away from home point in between fairways, so definitely retrievable. However, the MA2 had powered off in the crash, which meant that I couldn’t use the flash and beep in finding the drone. So much for relying on that extra retrieval assistance. Fortunately, I also had the Firehouse Technologies Arc XL strobe to help locate the MA2. My question is… why did the MA2 power off in the crash?

The flash and beep thing would not have worked but was the app unable to give a last known location?

Reactions: Derek H
The flash and beep thing would not have worked but was the app unable to give a last known location?
Yes, the app was able to show me the general location, which fortunately was in an open area of the golf course. There are many instances with poor or no cell service where I'm unable to load a satellite map. If it went down in a deeply wooded area, it's pretty hard to locate amongst the foliage. I'm happy to have the flashing/beeping functionality, but if the drone powers off, no help. There was plenty enough battery to last until I was able to trek out onto the golf course, but for some reason, it powered off and I'm not sure why... some safety function?? While it was a busy day on the golf course, a lightning warning had cleared the course at exactly the time I went to retrieve it, although a ball hit from the tee did come pretty close as I was crossing the last fairway!

Well, the battery is pretty secure because it has a PhantomRain wetsuit that sticks it in place. I just thought there might be some safety feature that shuts it down, but can’t think of what circumstances would trigger it.

Well, the battery is pretty secure because it has a PhantomRain wetsuit that sticks it in place. I just thought there might be some safety feature that shuts it down, but can’t think of what circumstances would trigger it.
If you replay the flight in the app what was the height of the drone when the log finished?

How long did it take you to reach the drone or to realise that the "flash and beep" thing was unavailable?

I am just wondering if there is a mechanisim whereby the drone can power down if it is 'inactive' for an extended period of time?

As a matter of interest will detaching a switched-on-battery from its drone switch the battery off?
.......It's not something I want to test but I inadvertently did the reverse a couple of days ago with a Phantom 3, i.e. put a switched on battery into the drone and the Phantom leapt into the gimbal dance immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Maybe it overheated sitting on ground and shut down to protect itself

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78