DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 vs AE2P

Chad80

Reactions
I am getting into Real Estate photography and I am in the process of getting my 107. I am still fairly new to the drone world (about 1 year) and I have been trying to decide on which drone to buy. I have had my sights set on the Autel Evo 2 Pro 6k for around $1700. But recently I have been watching videos and reading about the Magic Air 2 and how it's great for RE, basically I'm asking if I should get the Evo or grab the MA2 Flymore Combo for $999.

At least in the beginning it will be photo/video that I will do for realtors and eventually down the line inspection/survey and such but that will be with a different drone.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I am getting into Real Estate photography and I am in the process of getting my 107. I am still fairly new to the drone world (about 1 year) and I have been trying to decide on which drone to buy. I have had my sights set on the Autel Evo 2 Pro 6k for around $1700. But recently I have been watching videos and reading about the Magic Air 2 and how it's great for RE, basically I'm asking if I should get the Evo or grab the MA2 Flymore Combo for $999.

At least in the beginning it will be photo/video that I will do for realtors and eventually down the line inspection/survey and such but that will be with a different drone.

Thanks!
The Mavic Air 2 or MA2 is a great drone, works well, good flight time, 4K, supports ND filters... the a lot less than the Autel you've been looking at.. Everyone has an opinion, but unless you want to spend several hundred more for a drone that may not be that much better for what you may want to do.. You may want to watch a few more Mavic Air 2 videos to get a feel for one..

The Fly More Combo is $988, its probably the best way to go... Some places will also include the Care Refresh, though I don't think its much of a savings over just purchasing the Care Refresh as you setup the drone, perhaps a few $$..

I'm sure you already know that an investment in a Mavic Air 2 will be almost half of what the Autel Evo 2 will be. And as pointed out there are a lot more accessories available for DJI drones as they own 70% of the market.

In terms of image quality for real estate there is no advantage of one over the other as your real estate agents aren't going to be posting anything higher than 4k footage- if that. The images you shoot that go online will be 96dpi and any printed matter won't exceed 8.5x14 much if at all and only need to be at 300dpi at whatever printed size they make.

I don't know if it matters that much, but the Autel Evo II weighs twice what the MA2 weighs. However one advantage of the EVO II is it has a variable aperture of f2.8 to f11 just like the Mavic 2 Pro, while the MA2 has a fixed aperture of f2.8.

If you're considering the EVO II may I suggest you look at the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. The one big feature I like about the Mavic 2 is the TRIPOD MODE. Top speed in tripod mode is 2.5mph. So much easier to control in tight spaces than a Mavic Air 2 where it's top speed is 11mph and so you have to be very light on the sticks. The M2P's tripod mode is super smooth. IMO there is nothing worse than trying to edit around accidentally jerky moves while in post. Not sure about the modes on the Autel. An interesting looking drone, for sure. JMO

I would chose the mavic air 2 for real estate projects. You will appreciate it's agility and small size and ease of transport. The photos and videos are excellent. I own the MavAir2 and The EVO 2 Pro. Since i own both, I would use the EVO2Pro, but If I had to buy one or the other I would chose the Mav Air 2. It's the best drone in quality and price, currently on the market, if you ask me. The EVO 2 pro or even the 8k are overkill for shooting real estate.

Both machines will do the same job - the EVO has the advantage of not dealing with restricted flying. nor sending data to the mother-ship. I was doing a spot for an RV park and there was an abandoned airfield miles away and could not fly the machine. I ended up driving back home to pick up one of my own drones to get the shots.

The only negative on the EVO is the horrendous transmitter design which is near impossible to hold with a monitor attached. I solved the problem by mounting my Crystal on a small tripod with a long cord.

Regards Mike

Both machines will do the same job - the EVO has the advantage of not dealing with restricted flying. nor sending data to the mother-ship. I was doing a spot for an RV park and there was an abandoned airfield miles away and could not fly the machine. I ended up driving back home to pick up one of my own drones to get the shots.

The only negative on the EVO is the horrendous transmitter design which is near impossible to hold with a monitor attached. I solved the problem by mounting my Crystal on a small tripod with a long cord.

Regards Mike

So how does the EVO get away from "restricted" flying as you claim versus the Air2 or any DJI for that matter? Isn't "restricted" airspace - restricted airspace for all drones?

It's just the way the Autel system is set-up. It's like the old days when you could fly a Phantom anywhere you like. Not saying how long it will last, but I bought two EVO2's for this reason. Another EVO advantage is the 1" 6k sensor. EVO quality blows away the Mavic Pro. In fact, the Mavic Zoom has a far better image than the Mavic Pro. Right now the only 1" DJI machine worth getting is the Phantom 4, the images are great and it out-performs the Mavic Pro in every respect.

Mike

It's just the way the Autel system is set-up. It's like the old days when you could fly a Phantom anywhere you like. Not saying how long it will last, but I bought two EVO2's for this reason. Another EVO advantage is the 1" 6k sensor. EVO quality blows away the Mavic Pro. In fact, the Mavic Zoom has a far better image than the Mavic Pro. Right now the only 1" DJI machine worth getting is the Phantom 4, the images are great and it out-performs the Mavic Pro in every respect.

Mike
I agree with everything you said. I too have bought the EVO2 6k pro and 8k. They are as good or better than the DJI Mavics. The final push for me to buy 2 EVO2s is the no geofences and logging in to the manufacturers servers, just to get off the ground. DJI is losing huge market share because of their NANNY drones (aka bricks , if the software isn't working or you can't connect to the internet.). I don't know why they have Geofencing and Login requirements. I don't think the government requires it. They may have just done it on their own, in case of future restrictions they believed may have been in the works. Like the upcoming ID transmitters and pilot location crap. I'm going to carry a book of drone laws with me when that happens. Talking about getting harrassed by police. The harassment is going to skyrocket. I have never been cited for any of my recreational drone flying, but I get harrassed almost every time, if i'm standing somewhere where people can see me and know that i am the pilot. They call 911 all the time, even though I follow the rules by the book. I end up being asked to leave every time. Except, when i am flying from the 3rd story balcony of my house. The cops don't have any say in what I do, because I take off and land on my own private property and once I am in the air, the FAA has jurisdiction, no matter where I fly.

So how does the EVO get away from "restricted" flying as you claim versus the Air2 or any DJI for that matter? Isn't "restricted" airspace - restricted airspace for all drones?
I don't think Geo fencing is a government mandate. DJI did it voluntarily. Maybe they were thinking that it would be required by the FAA at a future date, so they put it in their software early? I don't know. But, it is not legally mandated or required. Autel was smart. They knew a large proportion of drone pilots hated being grounded before signing your life away each time you just wanted to fly your drone. They leave it up to the pilot to get LAANC authorization on their own. They don't ask you for your ID either. I live next to a public small aircraft airport. With my DJI drones, I have to sign in and check off all the boxes to get LAANC approval before i can take off or fly any reasonable distance or height.

There are pros and cons to having a drone that has no limitations. Sure, you can fly anywhere you want, and then when the completely ignorant or those that don't care get into big trouble, whose fault is it? Does Autel have any liability for people flying their drones where they should not?

Sure, people don't like having to get authorization to fly where things are restricted, wonder why they are restricted? Could it be if you fly a drone there you may cause a problem? What if something happens, something goes wrong?

One can be annoyed all they want, but controlled airspace is that way for a reason. Sure, some places may not make any sense, and perhaps databases for places where limitations make little sense should be updated.. Perhaps that should be the focus of some attention.

@Chad80 i have a near-new Mavic Air 2 flymore with added ND/CPL filters, cases, goggles and lots of goodies that I'll be selling as soon as I can post in the classifieds section.

I was making the same choice and I decided I want to have a bigger photo sensor and am getting an EVOII Pro for that reason...

that said, I am actually worried about NOT having the geofences and the lack of Refresh and DJI support... going to pick up the EVOII right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Because Autel does not enforce NFZs (except in China, where the government mandates it).

Thanks!
Either will do what you want. The Evo’s main advantages are variable aperture and no NFZs. The MA2 costs a lot less and is smaller, lighter and spares or accessories are easily found.

Because Autel does not enforce NFZs (except in China, where the government mandates it).
put another way: DJI drone software won't let you fly into a space on the map that you're not supposed to.

EVO software will let you fly in really stupid places if you want to.

... i HATE the orange color and shape. great for visibility but soooo ugly

put another way: DJI drone software won't let you fly into a space on the map that you're not supposed to.

EVO software will let you fly in really stupid places if you want to.
DJI’s NFZs sometimes prevent you from taking off in places where there are no official restrictions. A number of people have reported this on the net. Some pros have even bought an Evo as back-up for just such occasions. And NFZs or not, there are plenty of users who‘ll try stupid things.

Reactions: vindibona1 and DHLA
I agree with everything you said. I too have bought the EVO2 6k pro and 8k. They are as good or better than the DJI Mavics. The final push for me to buy 2 EVO2s is the no geofences and logging in to the manufacturers servers, just to get off the ground. DJI is losing huge market share because of their NANNY drones (aka bricks , if the software isn't working or you can't connect to the internet.). I don't know why they have Geofencing and Login requirements. I don't think the government requires it. They may have just done it on their own, in case of future restrictions they believed may have been in the works. Like the upcoming ID transmitters and pilot location crap. I'm going to carry a book of drone laws with me when that happens. Talking about getting harrassed by police. The harassment is going to skyrocket. I have never been cited for any of my recreational drone flying, but I get harrassed almost every time, if i'm standing somewhere where people can see me and know that i am the pilot. They call 911 all the time, even though I follow the rules by the book. I end up being asked to leave every time. Except, when i am flying from the 3rd story balcony of my house. The cops don't have any say in what I do, because I take off and land on my own private property and once I am in the air, the FAA has jurisdiction, no matter where I fly.
I agree with much of what you've said. I think it's none of DJI's business where you fly and how you fly and geofencing is nanny state BS. I just might end up with an Autel Drone before everything will have RID required.

I'm curious what you do to draw so much attention to yourself that you get harassed so much? I recognize that can happen and I do carry the FAA, state laws and local ordinances with me to fend off that. I suspect I'll get harassed at some point too, but it hasn't happened yet.

I recently saw a video of a guy in Florida shooting a project for a company and some jerk came up and told him to "get the F out of there", then called the cops. I was glad to see him stand his ground. What's up with Florida people???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190