DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mac User Seeks Opinions on Final Cut Pro X vs Davinci Resolve 16

apeel

Reactions
I am a long-time Mac user (yes .. you can call me a fan-boy). I am reasonably familiar with iMovie, however, I find it lacking in many aspects for video editing and wish to learn a more robust software solution. I am just starting in the video editing process for Mavic 2 Zoom and Osmo Pocket. I would appreciate your input and thoughts on whether I should consider using Final Cut Pro X or Davinci Resolve 16. I believe the learning curve of both is significant, so would like to learn only one of these two options. I believe that Davinci Resolve 16 Free version has more than enough for me and is FREE. Final Cut Pro X is not cheap, but if I want to take video editing serious as a hobby, I am prepared to pay the price. But is that necessary? What are your opinions on whether it makes sense to stick with Apple solution (at a cost) or learn Davinci Resolve 16 Free?

I have been using DaVinci Resolve for almost two years ... I have gone ahead and bought the Studio version, and have been growing with it by leaps and bounds over that time.

Here are just a few videos I've produced:
Consider this: DaVinci Resolve is free to try ... indefinitely.

Reactions: Juggler
Firstly let me say I am a complete novice at editing and have never used any progarms before.
I did heaps of research into what is available and DaVinci came out on top.
Firstly its free, there is a pay version but I dont need the features it offers like online collaboration.
Its is SUPER powerful and can do everything.
There are plenty of you tube vids to assist you.
That said, it is a large learning curve but i figure learn one program once and you will never grow out of..

hope this makes sense

I am a long-time Mac user (yes .. you can call me a fan-boy). I am reasonably familiar with iMovie, however, I find it lacking in many aspects for video editing and wish to learn a more robust software solution. I am just starting in the video editing process for Mavic 2 Zoom and Osmo Pocket. I would appreciate your input and thoughts on whether I should consider using Final Cut Pro X or Davinci Resolve 16. I believe the learning curve of both is significant, so would like to learn only one of these two options. I believe that Davinci Resolve 16 Free version has more than enough for me and is FREE. Final Cut Pro X is not cheap, but if I want to take video editing serious as a hobby, I am prepared to pay the price. But is that necessary? What are your opinions on whether it makes sense to stick with Apple solution (at a cost) or learn Davinci Resolve 16 Free?
If you only want to learn one then do Resolve. However, you’ll quickly figure out you want the Studio version if you really want to take it “serious.”

Resolve is more powerful than FCPX so if you learn Resolve there’s no reason to get FCPX. There is a larger learning curve though and some advanced functions get buried so deep into Resolve you likely won’t ever come across them and thus never learn they exist much less how to use them.

Resolve is kinda amazing that it packs three programs into one. To even be able to compare FCPX and Resolve you would not only need FCPX but also Motion and Compressor. Resolve Studio at least is all three of those programs in one.

I downloaded resolve and was amazed at its capabilities. It contains so much capability it would take me years of work to more than scratch the surface. I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing only one thing, but the free version is amazing and unless you are a professional video and sound editor I can't see why anyone would need the paid version.

I have been using Resolve for about 18 months. I had previously used Premier pro, though not recently. DR always surprises me what it can do. Anything I think of or see done else where and if I do not already know how to do it it is always easy to find several utube videos addressing the issue.

My only complaint is I spend too much time looking at instructional videos and getting distracted :) I have never seen any reason to buy the studio version, but maybe someday.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S