DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mackinac Bridge & Mackinaw City. Mavic Air and Spark

That’s a fantastic video!

It’s a long ways across the straights!

About 5 miles one way.

It would be fun to try to fly the entire length of the bridge. There are three viable options that come to mind:

Fly from the passenger seat of a vehicle.

Fly from a boat

Fly Mavic Pro utilizing 2 remotes, with one pilot on each side of the bridge.

Reactions: BingErr

About 5 miles one way.

It would be fun to try to fly the entire length of the bridge. There are three viable options that come to mind:

Fly from a boat

I was thinking the same thing. I would fly from a boat. There is no place to stop your car or turn around if you were in driving. Too many things could go wrong. You could simply lose signal being that close to all the metal and cables of the bridge. But a boat is def possible. Great minds think a like I guess.

Nice Video. Any problems with authority's flying around bridge Etc.?
Mackinaw Island is a NFZ. But Mackinaw City and Mackinac bridge had no restrictions. I found an article saying they were looking into banning drones around the bridge, but haven't yet. No one gave me a hard time.

There shouldn’t be. Michigan has drone preemption laws that prevent any unit of government from regulating the use or possession of drones except the legislature (and the feds)
Good to know!

Mackinaw Island is a NFZ. But Mackinaw City and Mackinac bridge had no restrictions. I found an article saying they were looking into banning drones around the bridge, but haven't yet. No one gave me a hard time.

What makes mackinaw island a nfz?
This is the first I’ve heard of this but I learn new things every day.

It is not controlled airspace and no Tfr appears to be in effect.

CB274997-A66D-476B-B619-F07D7319E374.png

I guess I was looking at UAV, which lists it as a DJI NFZ, but when I google search it appears it's still under debate. I guess they are trying to ban them because they say drones startle the horses, and I guess cops on the island will ask you to stop flying if they catch you. View media item 2140

Reactions: Lapeer20m

About 5 miles one way.

Fly from a boat

As a licensed pilot I feel I should step in and say that is not too safe to fly a drone from a moving vehicle and also against FAA regulations to do such especially for the licensed pilots. Just a warning to be careful for both you your drone and those around you. Never know when you may hit a random patch of interference and the drone stops as you keep moving and you lose range to land it safely or it tries to turn around and RTH.

You can’t fly a small UAS over anyone who is not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle. No operations from a moving vehicle are allowed unless you are flying over a sparsely populated area.

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

As a licensed pilot I feel I should step in and say that is not too safe to fly a drone from a moving vehicle and also against FAA regulations to do such especially for the licensed pilots. Just a warning to be careful for both you your drone and those around you. Never know when you may hit a random patch of interference and the drone stops as you keep moving and you lose range to land it safely or it tries to turn around and RTH.

You can’t fly a small UAS over anyone who is not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle. No operations from a moving vehicle are allowed unless you are flying over a sparsely populated area.

Would a boat be considered a "moving vehical"? I think that would be the safest way to do it. Possibly using Litchi, but I have no first hand experience with that app.

I agree that flying from a moving vehicle is more risky than other types of operations, however the straights are about as sparsely populated as you can get.

You would have to work to comply with part 107 but at first glance it appears that if you start from the north and drive south you can avoid the populated areas at both ends of the bridge.

Flying from A boat would be way safer and easier.

I agree that flying from a moving vehicle is more risky than other types of operations, however the straights are about as sparsely populated as you can get.

You would have to work to comply with part 107 but at first glance it appears that if you start from the north and drive south you can avoid the populated areas at both ends of the bridge.

Flying from A boat would be way safer and easier.

I agree from a boat and don’t fly the drone over the bridge but from the side of the bridge aiming down and at an angle so you remain in direct LOS since you be lower than the bridge controlling.

I may have to plan a dtrip to mackinaw island....it seems they don’t believe state law applies to them:

A3BCE200-3D33-49B2-81CE-3B1D62A7E441.png

That’s really no different than having an officer ask someone not to use a particular drinking fountain because of the color of their skin.

Super offensive.

“(1) Except as expressly authorized by statute, a political subdivision shall not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution that regulates the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft or otherwise engage in the regulation of the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft”

I may have to plan a dtrip to mackinaw island....it seems they don’t believe state law applies to them:

View attachment 43275

That’s really no different than having an officer ask someone not to use a particular drinking fountain because of the color of their skin.

Super offensive.

“(1) Except as expressly authorized by statute, a political subdivision shall not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution that regulates the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft or otherwise engage in the regulation of the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft”
Great point! Now I'm trying to figure out if I can bring my electric skateboard. Apparently they are also banned in town, but probably fine out of city limits. Thanks for doing the research BTW.

Nice vid! At the 00:44 mark where you are flying sideways, is your gimbal roll off cuz the camera was pitched? All in all a very nice vid. I was up near Traverse City and got some good vid also.

Nice vid! At the 00:44 mark where you are flying sideways, is your gimbal roll off cuz the camera was pitched? All in all a very nice vid. I was up near Traverse City and got some good vid also.
I had it in Sport mode and I was flying it completely sideways. The gimbal can't correct for that kind of tilt. I liked the results so I kept it in the final cut. Thanks for watching.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada