DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Macvic 2 fly away crash on thin ice

rlhtom63

Reactions
Hello from Northern Minnesota. While checking ice conditions with a Mavic Air 2 . I lost contact approximately 350 H at a distance of 1320 feet . Aircraft said it was retuning to home point. heard crash shortly after. Had a clear line of sight to hovering aircraft. It appears the aircraft rapidly descended after entering return home mode. Air craft was spotted on ice flow and later retrieved with Phantom 3 standard. Looking for help on retrieving flight data file and insight as to why communication between aircraft and remote was lost

Looking for help on retrieving flight data file and insight as to why communication between aircraft and remote was lost
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you - even if it looks like an empty report.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: ckoerner
I'm curious how you used the Phantom to rescue the Mavic?

Reactions: RMS001
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you - even if it looks like an empty report.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-04-04_[11-30-56].txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
I'm curious how you used the Phantom to rescue the Mavic?
First off the ice is deteriorating rapidly on Rainy lake. , no longer safe to walk on. A friend had an air boat available but he thought it would be difficult to keep from breaking threw the ice. My first drone is a Phantom standard 3. I looked up the pay load for that drone and the weight of the Mavic air 2. I could see that some small parts broke of the Mavic there fore reducing the weight. I fashioned a simple lifting harness using part of a hangar for hook. The harness length was about 3 feet. I hovered above the mavic snagged it and carried it back to shore with the Standard. The Standard got a bit squirrely when dropping of the mavic but it was well worth it. would have been nice to have filmed it.

Aircraft said it was retuning to home point.
This suggested that you had signal after RTH was initiated but I'm not sure where it came from.

Your flight data isn't going to be much help.
The data ends with the drone in a stable hover 1300 ft away from the start location and 450 ft higher.
There was plenty of battery, wind was light and there were no obstacles on the RTH path.
And then signal was lost so there's no record of the drone entering RTH or what happened after that.
Looking for insight as to why communication between aircraft and remote was lost
Perhaps signal was lost and things went wrong after that.
But it's more likely that signal was lost because the drone had a total power loss and fell from the sky.
Losing signal out in the open like that is unusual.
I would suspect a single problem caused the incident rather than two different problems.
But as there's no data to help, there's no proof.

Yep ... this was most probably a battery problem.

The signal strength according to Airdata was at max the whole recorded part of the flight flight ... not the slightest sign of a degradation until a complete disconnect, it was at 100% until the log ends.

1617616290568.png

So the 2 last messages shown in the Airdata view ...

1617616337207.png

... is most probably auto-generated by Airdata as they aren't in the log. And this due to that the AC shut down mid air & the connection was broken. No RTH command exists in the log ... the flight mode was GPS mode the whole time.

Looking a bit on the battery data just in the very last seconds in the log shows flat-lining battery values from 448,6sec ... cell voltages & current draw. Have placed the marker in the chart where this happens ... compare the graph look before & after that time point. It's clear that the battery have stopped to communicate.

1617616629256.png

Agree, sounds like a battery issue

Pity the OP hasn't been back, it would have been interesting to see the txt and DAT from the P3std.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato