DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Made these on printer works perfectly

Have you flown the Mini outside yet? I tried stiffening the arms with tape and it set up a terrible resonant frequency in the arms which transferred into the props. Will be interested on how you get on ?
for me there is no strange noise or resonant, i test the drone in strong wind and it feels very strong than before, now do not vibrate only the front arms, but all drone, but i repeat, very stable and no noise and no prop hits

Reactions: X6TOE
Have you flown the Mini outside yet? I tried stiffening the arms with tape and it set up a terrible resonant frequency in the arms which transferred into the props. Will be interested on how you get on ?
Yes but only in my garden all seams ok no noticeable vibrations and no warnings will take it further when the weather let's me

I made One of these also but I put it down somewhere and now I can’t find it. Should have made a black one.

Reactions: Drbobk
I printed it out, but it wants me to join them

Attachments

• F5BE4FC2-2F1F-48BC-B997-5AAE5AE262DC.jpeg
    F5BE4FC2-2F1F-48BC-B997-5AAE5AE262DC.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 25
Yes but only in my garden all seams ok no noticeable vibrations and no warnings will take it further when the weather let's me
I do not have a 3D printer. Would you make one of each for me? Happy to cover costs. Am in UK

Come on guys knock it off.

Now that I can see what you made.....Nicely done! I would would have one concern about doing that mod though. I dont own a mini but a friend does and the first time i held it i noticed how flexible the arms are. I didn't see it as a problem at all but more of a benefit, thinking that with the quad being so light the flexible arms would be capable taking up the shock of crashes. Giving on impact rather then snapping. Hes been flying his a lot and so far the arms as designed haven't been an issue.
Here's the deal......basically you get nothing for nothing, there's gonna be a trade off and you have to weigh out the benefits of the mod vs the negative effect it may cause. That being said, here's the problem I see:
Stiffening that portion of the arm is going to result in any bumps or incidences that may have simply flexed the arm to transfer through the arm to the next weakest point. Most likely the hinge or the stiffer plastic inside the hinge. Also prop strikes that normally may have just flexed the arm will now stay concentrated at the stiffer plastic that makes up the ring the the motor mounts into. Id say that the mod overall may increase your odds of damage. If ya wanna get picky, any imbalance of a prop will also resonate easier to the hinge as well possibly causing more wear.
so pros vs cons:
Pro: honestly I dont know, i dont fly a mini, from what Ive seen the fly perfectly fine as is
Con: gonna make the part probably more venerable to breaking overall. Just not in the same place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mossiback
Now that I can see what you made.....Nicely done! I would would have one concern about doing that mod though. I dont own a mini but a friend does and the first time i held it i noticed how flexible the arms are. I didn't see it as a problem at all but more of a benefit, thinking that with the quad being so light the flexible arms would be capable taking up the shock of crashes. Giving on impact rather then snapping. Hes been flying his a lot and so far the arms as designed haven't been an issue.
Here's the deal......basically you get nothing for nothing, there's gonna be a trade off and you have to weigh out the benefits of the mod vs the negative effect it may cause. That being said, here's the problem I see:
Stiffening that portion of the arm is going to result in any bumps or incidences that may have simply flexed the arm to transfer through the arm to the next weakest point. Most likely the hinge or the stiffer plastic inside the hinge. Also prop strikes that normally may have just flexed the arm will now stay concentrated at the stiffer plastic that makes up the ring the the motor mounts into. Id say that the mod overall may increase your odds of damage. If ya wanna get picky, any imbalance of a prop will also resonate easier to the hinge as well possibly causing more wear.
so pros vs cons:
Pro: honestly I dont know, i dont fly a mini, from what Ive seen the fly perfectly fine as is
Con: gonna make the part probably more venerable to breaking overall. Just not in the same place.

Interesting pieces of 3d print however, do you really think that the foam has that type of impact? The front props should smash before the foam does its work. Definitely agree on the idea of prop imbalances and resonance.

Does this effect the landing? In such way that the foam make for a smoother landing, like cushioning.

Interesting pieces of 3d print however, do you really think that the foam has that type of impact? The front props should smash before the foam does its work. Definitely agree on the idea of prop imbalances and resonance.

Does this effect the landing? In such way that the foam make for a smoother landing, like cushioning.
well you can clearly see in the posted video that the arm with the foam insert can flex and twist. The leg with the mod is ridged so the force hes applying in trying to twist it has to go somewhere, to me it looks like its going to the hinged joint where the arm might break there or even worse, the subframe that the hinge pins run through. If that breaks you just went from a simple fix of replacing the arm to a mess of having to replace the frame. As far as landings, I see no harm or benefit from the mod, they land softly anyway. Overall, whats the benefit? does stiffening the arms make it fly better?
Edit: in reading your response closer, yes most likely the prop will strike first but the impact to the prop is gonna transfer into the arm. with the arm being flexible it should absorb alot of the shock, with it stiff, again the force is going to go somewhere. Possibly snapping the plastic ring around the motor mount or breaking the hinge. Basically which ever is the next weakest link.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji