DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interference warning

RM#1

Reactions
The controller gave me a magnetic interference warning and indicated to check the app. 1) I was in a rural area, what magnetic interference could there be and 2) check what in the app? I assume that you should not attempt to fly at all under this circumstance, correct? Thanks, Bob

The controller gave me a magnetic interference warning and indicated to check the app. 1) I was in a rural area, what magnetic interference could there be and 2) check what in the app? I assume that you should not attempt to fly at all under this circumstance, correct? Thanks, Bob

I’ve had this (and probably a lot of others) on occasion, I think it’s more an app issue than an actual fault

Bob, this will come up if you traveled a certain number of miles/meters from your last flight location. It's really just the aircraft telling you to re-calibrate the compass, but they didn't bother coming up with a message for that (so they used the mag interference message).

Of course, that error could also mean actual magnetic interference, but as you say, you were in a rural environment.

Check the app: all this means is that DJI Go will give you more information that the limited LCD display on the remote. For instance, the app might just say "Calibrate compass", so then you know it's a compass issue. But if the app also says mag interference, then it's still possible there's something about your environment that's causing that (even in rural areas -- power lines?).

Chris

Reactions: Lionfish
Thank you for your help, I'll feel more confident if the issue comes up again.
I am like you I get that warning all the time I and since I got a smart controller I hardly ever get it .go figure

I never had it until I took a flight to Vancouver to visit Kids. Took out the drone and boom. Did a compass calibration and was all good. When I returned to Home in Ontario. Again. Compass calibration and all good. Another time I turned the drone on and it was beside our printer in the house. That set it off and a calibration fixed er up.

Many drones have crashed because pilots ignored the magnetic warning. There have been no proven examples of where DJI has thrown this error incorrectly.

Many drones have crashed because pilots ignored the magnetic warning. There have been no proven examples of where DJI has thrown this error incorrectly.

Except for when it states "mag interference" when there isn't any, and (as testified by many) all it really needed was a compass calibration.

Actual "magnetic interference" and "compass calibration due to distance traveled" are two entirely different things. So yes, the mag interference message on the controller is incorrect in those instances.

It was a lazy decision on DJI's part and has been confusing for customers ever since.

Chris

I had this very problem just this morning. I was only a mile or so from where I flew yesterday without any problem. This is a very rural area. I did the compass calibration and flew totally fine from that point on.

Reactions: Bobvt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan