DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interference

john2k

Reactions
I'm getting a magnetic interference error on my compass. Tried moving around. What kind of things will cause this? I was trying smart gesture and it wasn't responding to my gestures well at all. Does compass error effect smart gesture?

There are loads of things that can cause this: vehicles, reinforced concrete (in pavements as well as structures), certain rock formations. I have been in locations that I just couldn’t fly from because of this. Try & find a wide open field & calibrate there

What are the risks of flying with compass error? I've tried calibration but keeps failing. If you try and fly it when it has that error, does the MA actually allow you to fly it or does it not take off?

Because the exact same place before I turned on the remote I enabled smart capture by double tapping the function button at the back and I didn't realise there is interference there until afterwards when I tried to control it with the app. But during the smart gesture capture it didn't really respond to me giving it commands very well. Landing it I had to keep raising my hand and pointing down

What are the risks of flying with compass error? I've tried calibration but keeps failing. If you try and fly it when it has that error, does the MA actually allow you to fly it or does it not take off?
Nothing serious - just a fly away! Search this forum for threads on compass errors & magnetic interference. You’ll soon realise that you are probably one flight away from saying goodbye to your $1000 investment

Reactions: JDawg
Nothing serious - just a fly away! Search this forum for threads on compass errors & magnetic interference. You’ll soon realise that you are probably one flight away from saying goodbye to your $1000 investment
LOL so true. Probably the biggest reason for "my drone went crazy for no reason and flew into the sea!!"

I've tried calibration but keeps failing.
The magnetic interference message is prompting you to move to a different location (not calibrate the compass). If moving to a different location does not resolve the issue, then check that you do not have any magnetic metal objects on your person (e.g. a watch). You don't want any type of magnetic metal objects near the Mavic while it's powered on.

Here is a slight variation on the magnetic interference issue. I fly from the same location every day and launch from the same spot within inches. Nearly every time I start up the drone, on different days and/or different batteries on same day I get the magnetic interference warning. Even after I calibrate the compass, my next battery or next day I get the message again.

Here is the kicker. As soon as I start the props, before taking off even an inch the warning goes away. This has happened dozens of times and I have not had any issues with the drone after launch. I can understand how if you launch above a metal surface (rebar, etc.) the error would go away, but what about just starting the props without taking off?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty