DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maintenance MA2 and others

A.O.

Reactions
So I'm a new flyer with a new drone (MA2) a bit over a month ago and was wondering... what kind of maintenance do these guys need?? My cars and mowers or whatever need oil changes, blades sharpened and that kind of thing to keep them working properly, what do you guys in the know do for maintenance?
How often to you change props for instance? what do you look for when inspecting your drones? Good things to know for a rookie!

Maintaining the batteries is about the most important thing to do.

No oil needed anywhere. Maybe a blast of air around the gimbal, motors, and cooling vents if you launch / land in an dusty environment without a pad on the ground.

I inspect my props before every flight and the only time I change them is when they show signs of wear.

I also listen for noises such as the cooling fan when the drone is powered on and then powered with the props spinning.

I've been flying the Spark since 2017 and have had no issue with anything other than a few batteries swelling over time. I have since retired those from use.

Reactions: dawgpilot and A.O.
So I'm a new flyer with a new drone (MA2) a bit over a month ago and was wondering... what kind of maintenance do these guys need?? My cars and mowers or whatever need oil changes, blades sharpened and that kind of thing to keep them working properly, what do you guys in the know do for maintenance?
How often to you change props for instance? what do you look for when inspecting your drones? Good things to know for a rookie!

Cut & pasted some here below from Airdata.com regarding maintenance ... but beside this it isn't any overhauls, oiling or greasing needed. The most repetitive care should go to the batteries ... store them right, use them right. You can search up a lot about battery care in this forum. Then don't cheap out on swooping slightly nicked props ... after all it's those that keeps your MA2 airborne.
  1. Look for cracks in the outer shell, specifically around the motors which are more prone to cracks
  2. Check visually that all screws are in place and are tight
  3. Inspect the propellers and look for broken pieces, bent blades or other damage
  4. With propellers on, rotate each motor with your finger and make sure all move freely
  5. Verify all vents are clean and open
  6. Verify that the Sonar sensors and Proximity sensors (if equipped) are clean
  7. Check all gold battery plates inside the aircraft. If there are any stains on the surface, you can use a Q-tip dipped in pure (anhydrous) isopropyl alcohol (alcohol containing no more than 1% water) or electrical contact cleaner (typically comes in a spray can) to clean them to ensure good contact.
  8. Check to see if the metal contacts of the battery power and data sockets are damaged. If the surface severely burnt, use a piece of a fine sandpaper (Grit 150 or higher) to carefully clean the surface.

Cut & pasted some here below from Airdata.com regarding maintenance ... but beside this it isn't any overhauls, oiling or greasing needed. The most repetitive care should go to the batteries ... store them right, use them right. You can search up a lot about battery care in this forum. Then don't cheap out on swooping slightly nicked props ... after all it's those that keeps your MA2 airborne.
  1. Look for cracks in the outer shell, specifically around the motors which are more prone to cracks
  2. Check visually that all screws are in place and are tight
  3. Inspect the propellers and look for broken pieces, bent blades or other damage
  4. With propellers on, rotate each motor with your finger and make sure all move freely
  5. Verify all vents are clean and open
  6. Verify that the Sonar sensors and Proximity sensors (if equipped) are clean
  7. Check all gold battery plates inside the aircraft. If there are any stains on the surface, you can use a Q-tip dipped in pure (anhydrous) isopropyl alcohol (alcohol containing no more than 1% water) or electrical contact cleaner (typically comes in a spray can) to clean them to ensure good contact.
  8. Check to see if the metal contacts of the battery power and data sockets are damaged. If the surface severely burnt, use a piece of a fine sandpaper (Grit 150 or higher) to carefully clean the surface.
Question on the screws.. So there is no thread lock on these to worry about? Once you tighten a screw with thread lock they are no longer thread locked .

@A.O. to be honest maintenance ,is something that you should be doing as part of your post or pre flight inspection checks , and if you do it each time you fly then you will notice any issues that are arising ,before they become critical
making sure the airframe is in good condition is down to you the pilot,the buck stops with you
the secret is not to become obsessed about it ,its all part of the drone flying experience

Question on the screws.. So there is no thread lock on these to worry about? Once you tighten a screw with thread lock they are no longer thread locked .
@A.O. you got that backwards my friend they are thread locked until you remove them

@A.O. with respect my friend if the thread lock has worked then you should not be able to tighten up the screw,but i accept your reasoning, any movement will compromise the thread locks potential

If you turn them either way in or out, you break the threadlock.
@A.O. with respect my friend if the thread lock has worked then you should not be able to tighten up the screw,but i accept your reasoning, any movement will compromise the thread locks potential
I think you guys are saying the same thing.
Note that some thread lock compounds, like Loktite, come in 2 versions: one permanent and one easily removable. Of course, I don’t know what DJI uses.

The thing is the tread lock is a binder between the threads of the screw and the nut, if you turn that screw either way it breaks that bond.

Reactions: Thomas B
I think you guys are saying the same thing.
Note that some thread lock compounds, like Loktite, come in 2 versions: one permanent and one easily removable. Of course, I don’t know what DJI uses.
The red or "permanent" one requires heat to undo, with that plastic body I would think they use the Blue/lighter version. But like you I don't know what DJI uses..

Reactions: Thomas B
It's a difference between tightening a screw or make sure they are tight ... you do the later when it comes to periodic checks. You don't have to break any thread lock in order to "make sure", just feel them over with the correct key.

Reactions: A.O. and Thomas B
I blow of the drone with air periodically just to keep dirt out of the joints. Also remember to straighten the props before you start. Props that start when unbalanced can wobble for a second and cause the motors to wear quicker. Feel the edge of the props for nicks before each flight. Also keep battery contacts clean with a spray of electronic contact cleaner.

Reactions: A.O.
Also, along with all the other comments, check out Mavic Help, and look at Mavic tips. Has a preflight check list, takeoff tips, tips on how to prevent a flyaway. Saves you a lot of searching. Personally I have a checklist on my tablet, 6 check lists, with a sliding bar to remind me when was the last time I checked it. Most important of all on the check lists is what to do in a emergency. What to do if you have to Abort a RTH? AS a example.

Reactions: A.O.
Good Job, A.O. for even asking. SpitFire has it just right with checklists. I put together the one below as I went along over the years. Apple Notes lets your head each line with a check-able box so you can check it off as you go before each flight.

Cheers,
--wstb

Preflight checklist

Pre-Flight
  • Check weather—
    • Maintain 500’ below clouds
    • Maintain 2000’ lateral separation from clouds
    • Check Wind Direction in order to know best flight direction and what your approach path should be on way home
  • Check flight restrictions
    • NOTAM’s
    • TFR’s
    • Use multiple sources—Airmap, B4UFLY, FAA
On-site—
  • Safety inspect for trees, power lines, buildings
Remote Control—
  • Check battery level
  • Check phone battery level
  • Unfold antennae
    • Keep flat side of antennae facing drone: angle them as necessary
Aircraft—
  • ND Filters?
  • Check battery level and swelling
  • Confirm memory card installed
  • Remove gimbal cover
  • Check gimbal for damage or obstruction
  • Check propellers for damage and secure/locked fit
    • Run fingers along edges
Power-on sequence—
  • A/C on safe take-off/lndng area
  • Power on remote
    • Power on A/C
  • Launch flight app
Final Check—
  • Ensure connection between remote devices and A/C
  • Enable obstacle avoidance
  • Check connection signal strength
  • Check GPS Status
    • How many satellites? 9-10 minimum
    • Make sure red triangular drone Indicator in DJIGo4 is pointing the correct/same direction you are.
      • This can avoid a fly-away if the compass is off
  • Do your flat trim check (if equipped)
  • Set proper RTH altitude as appropriate
  • Check camera settings—focus, white balance, etc
  • Test start and stop of motors
  • Select camera mode
  • After TAKE OFF
    • Hover for a few seconds to endure props are on
    • 3-4 quick ascents and descents to verify same
Flight Site Assessment—
  • Before Flight—
    • Review Flight Objective
    • Look at Areal maps--Google, etc.
    • Determine Airspace for the area
  • Complete General Assessment on site
    • ID Take-off/LZ
    • Weather Assessment, including wind speed and direction
    • ID Hazards in the area—
      • trees
      • structures
      • causes of LLWS
      • power lines
      • non-participants
      • birds
      • bodies of water
  • Finalize the flight plan with that information in mind
  • VERIFY your assessment after takeoff

Excellent: You have quite a few more then I do. Check list has saved my bird many times. Great to be able to share with other pilots, I am sure we have many pilots that use a Check list.

Good Job, A.O. for even asking. SpitFire has it just right with checklists. I put together the one below as I went along over the years. Apple Notes lets your head each line with a check-able box so you can check it off as you go before each flight.

Cheers,
--wstb

Preflight checklist

Pre-Flight
  • Check weather—
    • Maintain 500’ below clouds
    • Maintain 2000’ lateral separation from clouds
    • Check Wind Direction in order to know best flight direction and what your approach path should be on way home
  • Check flight restrictions
    • NOTAM’s
    • TFR’s
    • Use multiple sources—Airmap, B4UFLY, FAA
On-site—
  • Safety inspect for trees, power lines, buildings
Remote Control—
  • Check battery level
  • Check phone battery level
  • Unfold antennae
    • Keep flat side of antennae facing drone: angle them as necessary
Aircraft—
  • ND Filters?
  • Check battery level and swelling
  • Confirm memory card installed
  • Remove gimbal cover
  • Check gimbal for damage or obstruction
  • Check propellers for damage and secure/locked fit
    • Run fingers along edges
Power-on sequence—
  • A/C on safe take-off/lndng area
  • Power on remote
    • Power on A/C
  • Launch flight app
Final Check—
  • Ensure connection between remote devices and A/C
  • Enable obstacle avoidance
  • Check connection signal strength
  • Check GPS Status
    • How many satellites? 9-10 minimum
    • Make sure red triangular drone Indicator in DJIGo4 is pointing the correct/same direction you are.
      • This can avoid a fly-away if the compass is off
  • Do your flat trim check (if equipped)
  • Set proper RTH altitude as appropriate
  • Check camera settings—focus, white balance, etc
  • Test start and stop of motors
  • Select camera mode
  • After TAKE OFF
    • Hover for a few seconds to endure props are on
    • 3-4 quick ascents and descents to verify same
Flight Site Assessment—
  • Before Flight—
    • Review Flight Objective
    • Look at Areal maps--Google, etc.
    • Determine Airspace for the area
  • Complete General Assessment on site
    • ID Take-off/LZ
    • Weather Assessment, including wind speed and direction
    • ID Hazards in the area—
      • trees
      • structures
      • causes of LLWS
      • power lines
      • non-participants
      • birds
      • bodies of water
  • Finalize the flight plan with that information in mind
  • VERIFY your assessment after takeoff
Thank you for this one ! This is a great checklist ! I myself am pretty new at flying. I second the birds point on general assessment ! Its definitely a good idea to check for nests or birds that happen to be circling around before you take off. A few months ago, I took off, not paying much attention to the birds flying around in the area where I was flying. Next thing I know, I have two crows trying to attack the drone ! I reacted quick and put it in sport and just flew the drone away and luckily they did not give chase. Definitely a heart stopping moment !

Thank you for this one ! This is a great checklist ! I myself am pretty new at flying. I second the birds point on general assessment ! Its definitely a good idea to check for nests or birds that happen to be circling around before you take off. A few months ago, I took off, not paying much attention to the birds flying around in the area where I was flying. Next thing I know, I have two crows trying to attack the drone ! I reacted quick and put it in sport and just flew the drone away and luckily they did not give chase. Definitely a heart stopping moment !
One thing to remember: birds cannot fly straight up--that can often save your droney bacon...
(At least up to 400' AGL.......)
(Would you be covered under 14 CFR § 91.3 under that scenario to keep going up....?)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy