DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Make 3D images with a standard drone, cross-eye video

cappellen

Reactions
Cross-eye video is a technique in which two images with slightly different angles are projected together often in a LR format in which each eye is fed with one image. Some trained people can see depth in these images by just looking at the screen. Small telephone screens work better than big monitors. This does not work for me a need a simple VR viewer like a Google cardboard. I was pointer to this nice example of on YouTube

It can be used of you make a sideways movie with your drone or if you circle around an object. In a video editing program you put the video stream twice but shift the second stream about half a second, dependent on your flight speed. Below an example I made with a DJI mini2

When looking with a real VR headset like an oculus Quest 2 or Oculus rift S it really looks stunning.

I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do.

First off : This is above my pay grade and second I just got motion sickness twice as fast. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water in an Oculus Suit .

Cross-eye video is a technique in which two images with slightly different angles are projected together often in a LR format in which each eye is fed with one image. Some trained people can see depth in these images by just looking at the screen. Small telephone screens work better than big monitors. This does not work for me a need a simple VR viewer like a Google cardboard. I was pointer to this nice example of on YouTube

It can be used of you make a sideways movie with your drone or if you circle around an object. In a video editing program you put the video stream twice but shift the second stream about half a second, dependent on your flight speed. Below an example I made with a DJI mini2

When looking with a real VR headset like an oculus Quest 2 or Oculus rift S it really looks stunning.

I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do.
I like your experimental attitude and trying something different. Using a drone as a tool, not just an endpoint. Very cool.

Thanks for that demo cappellen! About thirty years ago there was a 3D movie broadcast on TV in Australia that had to be watched with the cross-eyed technique. I can't remember the name of the movie now... I use a similar technique to take "3D photos" using two pictures by taking two photos of the same scene but moving the camera sideways a small distance before taking the second shot. Anyway, I had a go and came up with this quicky of a calf. I'll have to experiment with the timing and different types of movement and scale.

The 2 min video is cross-eye, the wind-mill is "wall-eye" stereo.

I do this stuff all the time, trained as a geologist in the 60s and 70s. We worked with 9x9 aerial photos that overlapped by 60% where every rock was in two adjacent images, seen from two vantage points. Stereo viewers were as common as rock hammers. Most of us geologists learned to overlap two photos, relax our eye muscles to "stare into the distance," each eye seeing a separate photo, and the eye-balls focused close on the image - 3D! For almost everybody, the same rock in both photos could not be farther apart than the space between the viewer's eyeballs. A f ew of us could "look out" (true "wall-eye," called strabismus) for greater depth - bad for most people's eyes, I'm OK.

In my e-mail client, the images above are closer than my eyes and I can use the old method to wall-eye them. One works, the other doesn't and the bull is equivocal. If I expand the images larger on the screen, I can only cross-eye them. The wind-mill is "inside-out."

For still photos, I use Muttyan's StereoPhotomaker that is both magical and free. I would like to know about the software that makes stereo videos.

The 2 min video is cross-eye, the wind-mill is "wall-eye" stereo.

I do this stuff all the time, trained as a geologist in the 60s and 70s. We worked with 9x9 aerial photos that overlapped by 60% where every rock was in two adjacent images, seen from two vantage points. Stereo viewers were as common as rock hammers. Most of us geologists learned to overlap two photos, relax our eye muscles to "stare into the distance," each eye seeing a separate photo, and the eye-balls focused close on the image - 3D! For almost everybody, the same rock in both photos could not be farther apart than the space between the viewer's eyeballs. A f ew of us could "look out" (true "wall-eye," called strabismus) for greater depth - bad for most people's eyes, I'm OK.

In my e-mail client, the images above are closer than my eyes and I can use the old method to wall-eye them. One works, the other doesn't and the bull is equivocal. If I expand the images larger on the screen, I can only cross-eye them. The wind-mill is "inside-out."

For still photos, I use Muttyan's StereoPhotomaker that is both magical and free. I would like to know about the software that makes stereo videos.
Yes you are right there is something wrong with my cross-eye video, it is not cross-eye, but parallel-eye. This is because I look at the image with a VR device, I didn't manage to use cross-eye.
The viedeo's can be made with any video software that can have two tracks and where you are able to place half video's left or right. I used a rather expensive solution Adobe premiere pro, mainly because I'm using this at work and can have it ver cheap at home.

Thanks for that demo cappellen! About thirty years ago there was a 3D movie broadcast on TV in Australia that had to be watched with the cross-eyed technique. I can't remember the name of the movie now... I use a similar technique to take "3D photos" using two pictures by taking two photos of the same scene but moving the camera sideways a small distance before taking the second shot. Anyway, I had a go and came up with this quicky of a calf. I'll have to experiment with the timing and different types of movement and scale.
For me the the Calf works in 3D with a cardboard like device. Great to get other people starting experiments.

I was able to cross my eyes on the videos to get the 3D effect. Pretty cool. I did have to uncross and re-cross my eyes a few times, but I like it. I can see where a VR device might be better.

I was able to cross my eyes on the videos to get the 3D effect. Pretty cool. I did have to uncross and re-cross my eyes a few times, but I like it. I can see where a VR device might be better.
To be honest I made the movie for a VR device which means it is not really cross-eye but parallel eye which made it much harder for you to see it. Sorry.

Reactions: Prop Wash
To be honest I made the movie for a VR device which means it is not really cross-eye but parallel eye which made it much harder for you to see it. Sorry.
No worries - It was fun to do!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada