DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Making money with a drone and the 107 cert

TexasRancher

Reactions
So, this is not a "how to make money" post, this is, "what do you do?" or "what would you do?" post.

I am very new at this whole 'drone' thing. I am having soooo much fun, albeit I do not know anyone that lives around me that flies a drone so, lonely.. heh.. sitting in the back yard flying :p

Anyway, I have a neighbor that is a realtor and sends me a text asking if I have a 107 cert. I reply something like, "only need to have that if you plan to make money".. simplified, but assuming that is the jist of it.

He wants me to make a video of a 12 acre property he is trying to sell.

Now, me having fun thinks this would be a blast, but.. pandora's box. If I do this one, how many more will he be asking me to make? Will this turn into more of a chore and less fun?

But.. (there is always a but..heh)... always looking for fun places to fly, right?

Now, not ruling out getting a 107 certification, just for more training so I get better at flying, but if I am not making money with my drone, why worry about it?

Anyway, just curious what you all thought. How many have found yourselves in this sort of place, a person asking for a favor and 'knowing' it will turn into a LOT of work and more favors.

Thanks

Russ

It's kind of hard to determine what the question is. Someone's offering you money/work if you get your 107? And you can't decide?

I can't imagine what anybody could say to help you decide.

If you're question is, do you need your Part 107 license to do a favor for a friend and he happens to give you a gift ($) on a non 1099 basis. My answer would be no. I've been doing this for quite some time with my Inspire 2. There's a very fine line here, which is why I'm not a big fan of the Part 107 licensing program.

Reactions: scgene31
No, they are asking me to do them a favor... not offering work. And I want to do it.. but...hrm, how to put this:

He could make a real estate sale for like $500k. He says, as payment so to speak, I will be invited to the celebration dinner.

Now, I would have fun doing it. Pretty sure DroneDeploy lets me do like 5 free maps a month, so no big deal there. I would have fun flying and making the video...and do not really care about getting paid.

BUT...

I like to make maps in google earth, mostly for my ranch and fishing. He found out, and started asking me to map stuff out for his property listings.

Then, corrections, changes.. blah blah.

It is like building a PC for someone and then you never stop supporting it.

He is not offering to pay anything, and I am not asking.. just "thinking out loud"... my guess is, it is this one property. If it sells fast, then I start getting requests for more help.

I will never starve with all the celebration dinners.. lol.. but, I am not interested in getting a 2nd job doing drone work.. heh

I am just thinking out loud is all.. I know what I have to do, tell him no after this.. right now, I would not mind flying for this property for experience. It is the video work, that I am not good at, that will turn into a job :p

So.. just whining about it, I guess.. I want to fly, just do not want to take money from someone as I do not want to have to cater to them after that heh

R

No, they are asking me to do them a favor... not offering work. And I want to do it.. but...hrm, how to put this:

He could make a real estate sale for like $500k. He says, as payment so to speak, I will be invited to the celebration dinner.

Now, I would have fun doing it. Pretty sure DroneDeploy lets me do like 5 free maps a month, so no big deal there. I would have fun flying and making the video...and do not really care about getting paid.

BUT...

I like to make maps in google earth, mostly for my ranch and fishing. He found out, and started asking me to map stuff out for his property listings.

Then, corrections, changes.. blah blah.

It is like building a PC for someone and then you never stop supporting it.

He is not offering to pay anything, and I am not asking.. just "thinking out loud"... my guess is, it is this one property. If it sells fast, then I start getting requests for more help.

I will never starve with all the celebration dinners.. lol.. but, I am not interested in getting a 2nd job doing drone work.. heh

I am just thinking out loud is all.. I know what I have to do, tell him no after this.. right now, I would not mind flying for this property for experience. It is the video work, that I am not good at, that will turn into a job :p

So.. just whining about it, I guess.. I want to fly, just do not want to take money from someone as I do not want to have to cater to them after that heh

R

I would do the flying & shooting and just give him the shootings as they are and tell him to find a professional to edit/put them together for him

As per the FAA website:

What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division.
"

Thus if you're a occupation is a cowboy, I would say that taking film of real estate is surely outside the realm of your "regular occupation".

Uh, my occupation is not "cowboy".. the only reason I would be flying over his place is for experience... and fun, because I need things and places to fly.

In the pursuit of such, I would be taking videos and photos... if I share them with him and he does whatever.. that is up to him.

So, it is not outside of my regular occupation.. well, it IS.. i.e. FUN is outside my "regular occupation.. lol.. and "learning how to fly a drone, getting experience, taking videos.. hell, anything having to do with the drone is outside of my "regular occupation", so the "letter of the law" is not in the letters, but in the spirit of how it is written, otherwise, anyone here that flies for fun.. any time.. anywhere, is in violation.

So, point taken. Point disagreed with.. heh

Wait, I see.. you think the same way.. they worded it crappy.. :p

Thanks!

Russ

Sorry, I was just using cowboy as an example...

Hi TexasRancher

This may not clarify things much for you in the USA, but I add this post for people in the UK.
In the UK the "CAA" is the aviation regulatory body, as is the "FAA" in the states.
I contacted the CAA recently with a similar query...., I was asked by the President of my golf club to make a promo Arial video of the golf course and Club House, the CAA informed me that as this request was not a "Commercial" application with no money or other payment in exchange the CAA did not require a formal application from me.
The gist of their response was along the lines that:- any organisation had the right to create self promotional materials, be they photographs or video from an Arial platform (Drone), so in my case they did not require me to make a formal application for permission. In a similar vein, if I wanted to make a promo for the sale of my house, or my Grandfathers house for that matter, I would be within my rights subject to the following :-
The only requirements are that I conform to the UK's code of conduct for Drone operations contained in
Air Navigation Order :-

Hope this clarifies something for someone.
Waylander

Reactions: Dw911
As per the FAA website:

What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division.
"

Thus if you're a occupation is a cowboy, I would say that taking film of real estate is surely outside the realm of your "regular occupation".

So... are you saying that if my regular occupation is "a cowboy," and I decide to do some real estate videos on the side for cash, this would be considered UAS use for hobby as "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation?" I'm pretty sure this is a stretch... From what I understand, If you receive ANY sort of compensation (yes, a free celebration dinner can count as compensation), then you need to get licensed and fly in accordance with the FAA’s Small UAS Rule (Part 107).

So... are you saying that if my regular occupation is "a cowboy," and I decide to do some real estate videos on the side for cash, this would be considered UAS use for hobby as "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation?" I'm pretty sure this is a stretch... From what I understand, If you receive ANY sort of compensation (yes, a free celebration dinner can count as compensation), then you need to get licensed and fly in accordance with the FAA’s Small UAS Rule (Part 107).
I'm not saying anything...I'm just citing what's on the FAA website.

Well, personally.. I would not take any form of pay for flying the drone. My brother loved.. LOVED Taxidermy.... till he started doing it for a living. Now, he hates it.

I am having fun flying and I honestly have a good job, so...

My biggest fear is doing a favor for someone to get more flying time for me, turns into another favor and another favor.

So, I think flying the drone and saying, "sure, you can have a copy of the raw video" is the best choice. What he does with it after that is his business, not mine. I share on youtube just for fun, so not a big difference, just not going to get caught up editing it etc for him to make money.

As far as I am concerned, all I am doing is getting a place to fly and something new to look at and experience.

R

Well, personally.. I would not take any form of pay for flying the drone. My brother loved.. LOVED Taxidermy.... till he started doing it for a living. Now, he hates it.

My biggest fear is doing a favor for someone to get more flying time for me, turns into another favor and another favor.

So, I think flying the drone and saying, "sure, you can have a copy of the raw video" is the best choice. What he does with it after that is his business, not mine. I share on youtube just for fun, so not a big difference, just not going to get caught up editing it etc for him to make money.

As far as I am concerned, all I am doing is getting a place to fly and something new to look at and experience.

R
100% agree...my other hobby/passion is Vtwin motorcycle building/restoration and I HATE when my riding buddies ask for a favor.

R

Yep, other people offer other hobbies and I’m like, “...stuff that mate, flying me bird Mavic!” ;-)) tell your brother that one

He texted me last night asking, "You ready for some drone action Saturday?"

I responded, "You bet! I doubt we are thinking the same thing though. I have a drone meetup in Austin on Saturday"

*chirp chirp* no response...

I sent, "I told you, my son and I were going to that from like 10-2...care to go with us?"

"I have to work."

I told him I was off Monday and would love to fly that day.

Setting the limits and then holding to them. When "I" feel like and have time to fly, I fly.. otherwise, I do not move to anyone's 'schedule'.

R

Just remember, no good deed goes unpunished!

But my first thought around the game that the government loves to play when it suits them is what Anthony Viscomi said above. I'll do this thing for you as a favor on my daughter's wedding day. And at some point in the future, you'll come and offer me a monetary gift outta respect for me. (very loose godfather reference)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d