DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manners Maketh Man

Wait, what did I miss? We need names. Forums should be taken with a grain of salt or however the saying goes, with any subject, cars, go carts, golf carts, etc. There will always be the ones who will bash you or tell you you're stupid. I would assume the majority recognizes those people and shrug it off.

We're all playing with toys here, although expensive and somewhat dangerous, they're still toys. I myself am here for the invaluable information that can be gained. If someone wants to get onto me for doing something stupid, so be it. I would hope a little berating never killed anyone.

I haven't seen too much berating personally on this forum, there are mostly those who say you're breaking the rules of flying and should abide by the rules.

...Personally, I never say RTFM but I do let people know that they should if the question is obviously right in the manual (I choose not to say "RTFM")...
Exactly - me either (well, not anymore). There WAS a user here who posted a few thousand posts in just a few months. A preponderance of his posts were him jumping in to unanswered threads and posting RTFM. After a short while of watching him do this, it seriously got on my nerves. Often times I'll search Google for an answer to a question. Often, a thread in these forums would show at the top of the search results. Often, his RTFM was the only other post ~diluting the overall value of the information put out by these forums. Personally, I'm glad that he left. His automatic responses were arrogant and self-serving, at best.

[QUOTE=". Bullys beware. There are still some of us willing to stand up to you... even here.

A very good afternoon to you Sir. I humbly beg your permission to point out that the plural of bully is bullies. Sorry for feeling compelled to bring this to your attention.[/QUOTE]
Thank you. My phone's autocorrect is duly chastised.

Reactions: Simmo
You make a good point. This isn’t about moderation as such. Often, as with the post I pointed out above, it’s not like the post is bad enough to be deleted by a moderator. It’s about the general tone that is propagated here. That particular poster just needs to grow up. It’s getting to the point where people like me daren’t ask a question because it might lead to the usual chorus of ‘read the ****ing manual”. OK. I’ll do that. I’ll rely solely on my manual and delete my account here, because there’s no point me having it if I can’t ask questions.

These smart-*****. These ‘experts’. Our betters. We amateurs shouldn’t be here. We’re not good enough. We should marvel at these pilots. That tone should not prevail here. We should all be prepared to help and share. And a bit less jumping on poster’s typos.
My point exactly. And it isn't one post or a few posts that prompted my manner rant. There are a few know it all who can't post without making it personal and ugly because the sun shines from their nethers. I can no longer offer help or knowledge without knowing a troll will come behind me and call me stupid and undermine any good my years of experience has to offer. I'm too DARN old and too highly placed in the food chain to spend much more time among lowlife punks. Of course those responding here have been mannerly and kind, so there is some hope in a gloomy world.

A very good afternoon to you Sir. I humbly beg your permission to point out that the plural of bully is bullies. Sorry for feeling compelled to bring this to your attention.
this post sounds just like this one by another member

A very good afternoon to you Sir. I humbly beg your permission to point out that the plural of bully is bullies. Sorry for feeling compelled to bring this to your attention.

Last edited:
Maybe it's me and the era I was born and raised in, but my childhood memories are wonderful even though it was a time when people said what they wanted to, and yes maybe they intended to offend you, and maybe they didn't, we also had bullies back then but it didn't cause us to go kill ourselves over it, I guess we had thicker skin back then, we were raised to deal with it not run away from it, it was reality, most young people today are living in a bubble and can't deal with reality, it's very sad.

You're on point, JMF, well said. I guess we have to be careful here, this isn't your typical Porsche 944 forum or whatever....

Poems everybody, poems, the laddie reckons himself a poet! Rubbish!

Reactions: JMF
Maybe it's me and the era I was born and raised in, but my childhood memories are wonderful even though it was a time when people said what they wanted to, and yes maybe they intended to offend you, and maybe they didn't, we also had bullies back then but it didn't cause us to go kill ourselves over it, I guess we had thicker skin back then, we were raised to deal with it not run away from it, it was reality, most young people today are living in a bubble and can't deal with reality, it's very sad.
I'm from the same era, but believe that something else is at play here. Communications have changed since we were kids. Instead of absorbing one good insult every few hours, the internet has opened the door for insults and arguments to be *ongoing*. You can wake up in the morning and immediately jump back into a discussion as a verbal attacker, or victim.

There are some out there who are intelligent, but whose writing skills are filtered through an Ebonics skill set. Then there are intellectually stunted folks who are just plain mean. When anyone is writing a reply here, on Facebook ~whereever, they (we) are subject to our current mental state. I find that when I'm in a bad mood, my postings can reflect that. Then there are simply trolls.

There are language differences. It took me a few years to figure out why some people can't type an English sentence to save their lives. They don't speak English and are simply doing their best. And finally - there are a-holes. No amount of reason or compassion can fix that.

It's a different time, with completely different communications, and ramifications. Keyboard warriors rule the day ~ many of whom don't know the difference between, "there", "their" and "they're" - or my personal brain-crusher of, "then" and "than". But, these are the people with whom we must interact when we are online. The OP can move away from these forums, but I don't think that the general tone of the internet is going to change for him.

This is one of the reasons that I am not on Facebook. Even nice posts get sidelined with mini-arguments. It seems that it's in our nature. One negative comment will attract hordes of posters to come in and derail the original topic. Why? Keyboard warriors love to argue and/or defend the topic of the day.

Having said all of that - I'm not sure that we can compare bullies of yesteryear with the keyboard warriors of today. It's just not the same mindset. The latter is not after our lunch money. They are simply operating under a low I.Q. stream if mindless drivel, and a lack of writing skills.

Last edited:
The simple rule "Never engage in mental fencing with an unarmed opponent" has always served me well.

For me, these forums represent a different environment. I suspect most of us have encountered bullies (hope I spelled that correctly) at school or perhaps even at work. As a kid it would essentially be impossible to change schools -- your parents would just give you advice and you'd have to deal with it. The difference being -- "you'd have to deal with it." At work you may also have to deal with it to a certain degree -- at least until you can change jobs. These forums, however, have no element of "you'd have to deal with it" -- we're all here voluntarily (presumably to help and encourage one another).

I'm sure it will come as no surprise, but I agree with the OP. I realize that these forums are not schools, jobs, or personal relationships, but I fail to see why you would treat a total stranger any differently than you would teach your kid how to behave at school, how you treat coworkers in the office or your employees if you're a manager, or how you would treat your children, spouse, siblings, parents, or friends.

There will also be posts from trolls or troll-like individuals and they should get what they give (i.e. Golden Rule). However, I have seen more than few noob questions where the first/early responses fall in the range from snarky to rude and unhelpful. I have never understood how that is helpful to the poster or the larger community.

Reactions: W2EJ and Qoncussion
However, I have seen more than few noob questions where the first/early responses fall in the range from snarky to rude and unhelpful. I have never understood how that is helpful to the poster or the larger community.
This usually happens when the question is so common or obvious that the tinest bit of self research would bring the person to the answer. And it's useful in the sense of "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life" and is a "hey guy, you should really be able to find that yourself instead of asking others what your every move should be". Those who are a bit smart will take the hint and grow bigger. Unfortunately some special snowflakes will be offended by the form and completely miss the content instead... Such is life, but might as well try and give a chance to those who could learn from it - the others will usually become ignored soon enough regardless.

Reactions: Qoncussion
This usually happens when the question is so common or obvious that the tinest bit of self research would bring the person to the answer. And it's useful in the sense of "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life" and is a "hey guy, you should really be able to find that yourself instead of asking others what your every move should be". Those who are a bit smart will take the hint and grow bigger. Unfortunately some special snowflakes will be offended by the form and completely miss the content instead... Such is life, but might as well try and give a chance to those who could learn from it - the others will usually become ignored soon enough regardless.

I completely agree that there are quite a few of those questions. I would argue that those types of questions are what launched these types of forms in the first place. What I don’t understand is why those questions have to be met with snarky or rude responses.

If you are a member of this community and you are burned out on all of the new-user questions, then why not just skip them? There are some that will, instead, respond negatively when they could’ve just not responded at all. There is no rule that says you must reply to posts from new users.

Just because someone is new and uneducated doesn’t mean they are deserving of a lack of respect.

Reactions: msinger and Huddy

Sorry, I’m sending a second reply. That probably breaks or some other rule of etiquette.

I think it is only fair to point out that I have also seen numerous polite responses to new user questions. Not only polite responses, but detailed, helpful responses.

Especially when you read the “My Mavic Crashed” posts. Most of those threads end up revealing some type of pilot error or lack of understanding of the aircraft and software. Often times the responses to those posts point out the error of the pilot’s ways without being disrespectful.

Especially when you read the “My Mavic Crashed” posts. Most of those threads end up revealing some type of pilot error or lack of understanding of the aircraft and software. Often times the responses to those posts point out the error of the pilot’s ways without being disrespectful.
I agree. I’ve learned more from the mistakes of other new droners than I have from experts. I often look at others who lose their drones and think they are running before they can walk, and are cavalier and reckless. But equally, I could be accused of being too safe and over cautious. But I’d never dream of jumping on another forum member at a time when he’s lost his drone. He knows, and he doesn’t need me rubbing his nose in it. I can only think of one new droner who lost his drone and continued thinking he was right and DJI were wrong.

If I can’t help, then the best thing I can do is not contribute to a lost drone thread. But I should learn a lesson from it.

Sorry for the Kingsman reference for those who never saw the film, but it appears to apply. As this may be the last post I make to these unmoderated and often unreadable forums before deleting this app, let me simply say many users need to learn courtesy, manners, and remove the toxic bullying abuse from their posts. I'm sick of the high and mighty know it all ( mod removed ) that can't enter a comment without methodically putting everyone else down. Tone, language, and courtesy are the hallmark of any civilization. I am a university professor and no one can berate or abuse others in forum posts in moderated academic settings. I'm also a broadcast journalist and in a TV or radio station's online forums you will be deleted if posts become abusive. There is no freedom of speech guarantee unless you are writing on your OWN website so don't start abusing me on that score my USA readers.

Where did an entire generation go so wrong in learning how to avoid being a social butt crack? I'm done lecturing . I'm done with reading abusive manner-free posts. I'm done with know-it-all punks of any age that don't read pertinent information in a post before putting down everyone who offers useful information and spouting derisive language and meaningless knowledge that often has no connection to the original post. Life is short. These inconsiderate punks may inherit the earth but God help them for the quality of life and human associations they will never know.

A new MAVIC forum that IS moderated will be started. Offensive or bullying language WILL be deleted along with accounts of offenders. Actual assistance will be offered. Encouragement for the sport will be enthusiastic and free of abuse. Bullys beware. There are still some of us willing to stand up to you... even here.

I'm not sure, but it is quite possible that I have now replied more to this topic than any other since becoming a member. I'm in total agreement about manners. I am constantly coaching my two little ones on proper behavior.

It may seem to some that a perfectly polite community is just wishful thinking, but I can tell you that it does indeed exist (or least did at one time).

For probably 35+ years (more than I care to think about) I was dedicated amateur photographer and I used Nikon equipment for almost that entire time. A couple of years ago I switched to Sony, but I digress.

While I was a Nikon shooter I was (and, actually, still am) a member of Nikonians.org. A community just like this, but dedicated to Nikon shooters. In all of my years on Nikonians.org I never once (seriously, not once) ever saw a snarky or rude reply to a fellow shooter. Everyone was universally dedicated to helping one another.

A universally respectful community can exist -- it can because it already does (or at least did at one time).

Sorry for the Kingsman reference for those who never saw the film, but it appears to apply. As this may be the last post I make to these unmoderated and often unreadable forums before deleting this app, let me simply say many users need to learn courtesy, manners, and remove the toxic bullying abuse from their posts. I'm sick of the high and mighty know it all ( mod removed ) that can't enter a comment without methodically putting everyone else down. Tone, language, and courtesy are the hallmark of any civilization. I am a university professor and no one can berate or abuse others in forum posts in moderated academic settings. I'm also a broadcast journalist and in a TV or radio station's online forums you will be deleted if posts become abusive. There is no freedom of speech guarantee unless you are writing on your OWN website so don't start abusing me on that score my USA readers.

Where did an entire generation go so wrong in learning how to avoid being a social butt crack? I'm done lecturing . I'm done with reading abusive manner-free posts. I'm done with know-it-all punks of any age that don't read pertinent information in a post before putting down everyone who offers useful information and spouting derisive language and meaningless knowledge that often has no connection to the original post. Life is short. These inconsiderate punks may inherit the earth but God help them for the quality of life and human associations they will never know.

A new MAVIC forum that IS moderated will be started. Offensive or bullying language WILL be deleted along with accounts of offenders. Actual assistance will be offered. Encouragement for the sport will be enthusiastic and free of abuse. Bullys beware. There are still some of us willing to stand up to you... even here.

You're right...unfortunately, devolving social discourse is sign of the times. Faceless, impersonal nature of social media seems to desensitize interaction. It'd be best if everyone would live the golden rule...but, in the end, we all just have to "put our big boy pants on" and deal with life's shortcomings. Good luck.

Reactions: Kilrah
You're right...unfortunately, devolving social discourse is sign of the times. Faceless, impersonal nature of social media seems to desensitize interaction.

I couldn’t agree with you more if you were twice as right.

It'd be best if everyone would live the golden rule...but, in the end, we all just have to "put our big boy pants on" and deal with life's shortcomings. Good luck.

One way to “deal with life’s shortcomings” is to push back on unacceptable behavior and let folks know that they’re out of line. A failure to speak out is passive approval of rude behavior.

I’m guilty of that. I’ve read the rude responses here and never said a word. I reckon it is time for me to behave differently as well — walk the talk.

Reactions: Bobwitten and raymo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica