DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mantis Claw

I have the 3.5" version. It was a pain to assemble, but it works really well.

Reactions: jerryflah and Simmo
It took 7 minutes of flight for me to pick up a potato with the 5” version.

I’m thinking that a potato is not the optimal shape for this device!

Reactions: Banned
I hooked mine to my Inspire 1 to pick up a small tree branch that was laying on the roof of my house. The trickiest part was lining up the hook so it could be dropped at just the right spot.

If you have a 3D printer there are several printable designs on out there too. Someday I will print one out.

In the states, some public libraries will let you schedule a time to use a 3D printer... anything like that there?
There are lots of pieces to this design (see them here). I suspect it would take a couple of days to print. While that might be a fun adventure for some, it's probably not worthwhile since these kits can be purchased from Amazon and eBay for about $15.

Maybe something like a big treble hook would work just as well.

I’d be concerned that it could get snagged on something and could not release from the drone.

I guess that fishing line dropper device would be the fix for this

Reactions: KentA
Maybe something like a big treble hook would work just as well.

I’d be concerned that it could get snagged on something and could not release from the drone.

I guess that fishing line dropper device would be the fix for this

I utilized the fishing line dropper with this claw for just that reason.

Reactions: Banned
Well... I pulled the trigger and bought one from eBay. Definitely need a way to trigger release just in case it grabbed the wrong object and getting itself stuck. Eg. trying to recover a drone in a tree and gets snagged on a thick branch instead. The fishing line dropper seems like an expensive option, unless there’s a cheap one, cos the one I’m thinking of is the cost >$100. Don’t remember what it’s called.

How does one release the object after arriving at the delivery point?

Also... if worried about snagging on something too big, perhaps a friction release (like a clothespin or small clamp) can be rigged on the line where a substantial "tug" on the line would pull it loose. I think a mavic could generate a good jolt on the line with a couple feet of vertical headstart.

Interesting... How do you operate it (open/close) remotely?

What weight can it carry?

... if worried about snagging on something too big, perhaps a friction release (like a clothespin or small clamp) can be rigged on the line where a substantial "tug" on the line would pull it loose...
Genius. Sometimes low-tech is best.

How does one release the object after arriving at the delivery point?
The claw opens when it touches the ground. You'd need to lower it until it hits the ground and drag it away from the object it was holding so it does not attempt to grab it again when you lift the claw.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000