DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manual channel selection.

Doink70

Reactions
Hi - I usually fly my mini with the wifi set to auto channel select, but if I want to choose a manual channel, which is the best one to use? Does the channel with the highest graph mean the strongest signal or does that indicate it is the most used frequency and therefore should be avoided? I can’t find any info in the manual. Thanks

i always worked on the basis of the highest 'green' one was the least congested and avoid the red ones''

It is and i use auto. Not sure how that really works but would hate to be using 1 and then the other gets stronger and the one that was stronger get weaker. Seems it would cause you to lose connection. I don't know.

Does the channel with the highest graph mean the strongest signal or does that indicate it is the most used frequency and therefore should be avoided?

I made the jump to manual settings a few weeks ago and haven't looked back.

My advice would be to always go through the process before each flight. As you do the RC scans each chanel and the strength graph changes accordingly. I find that you need to let it cycle through at least two or three times as there can be a lot of variation on each pass -- even in the middle of nowhere. I select the channel which seems to present the lowest bar on each pass.

As well as getting noticeably longer range on the 2.4GHz band, I am experiencing far less signal break up closer to home -- as I think you'd expect.

i always worked on the basis of the highest 'green' one was the least congested and avoid the red ones''
Hi, for me it is the opposite strategy! I saw tutos saying that you should choose the lower green as the highest are busier.:eek:

Well it seems i still haven't a clue so i will just stay on Auto . :D

Auto is the best choice in my opinion. RF interference is not constant, either in time or drone location. What is strong in one location and time may not be the same.

Computers boot up and shut down and their WiFi connection as well, people reboot their wireless routers, and as the drone flies you get closer and farther away from the various networks.

Auto attempts to minimize the impact of these changes, manual channel selection ignores it.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I would like to have it on auto but since the last firmware update the default in the app always shows Manual. I have to remember to go into the settings to change it to Auto. I don't remember what the Manual channel it defaults to.

Are any others noticed this problem? I seem to remember it mentioned when the upgrade first came out.

I would like to have it on auto but since the last firmware update the default in the app always shows Manual. I have to remember to go into the settings to change it to Auto. I don't remember what the Manual channel it defaults to.

Are any others noticed this problem? I seem to remember it mentioned when the upgrade first came out.

Since the recent 500 firmware update mine defaults to manual as well. Like you, I have to add it to my pre flight check to select auto.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Since the recent 500 firmware update mine defaults to manual as well. Like you, I have to add it to my pre flight check to select auto.
Wondering when defaulting to "DEFAULT" if there is a channel it uses every time or chooses the best one... at that time. I'll try to pay attention next few times out, hope others can chime in too.

I remember that other members also mentioned that have the same issue after the latest update. For me nothing has changed, it stays in Auto (Android).

Wondering when defaulting to "DEFAULT" if there is a channel it uses every time or chooses the best one... at that time. I'll try to pay attention next few times out, hope others can chime in too.
Sparked it up for three flights today. Each time I went into the transmission options and it was on Manual . It had chosen 149 out of the 5 frequencies which was the lowest filled bar.

Was in too much of a rush to fly to see what "Auto" selected... actually didn't think of it until later. I'm indoors but just tried switching to Auto and the freq stayed on 149, same as it was on Manual.

I'm on 5.8ghz FCC tx. Maybe that makes a difference?? After a sample here so far of 3 it looks like it does.

So far with the firmware upgrade v1.00.0500 and Fly App v1.1.0
@EyesWideShut default is "Manual - Canada
@RBRTSTLL default is "Manual" - USA
@Xanadu default is "Auto" - Greece

Reactions: T3ddy
Sparked it up for three flights today. Each time I went into the transmission options and it was on Manual . It had chosen 149 out of the 5 frequencies which was the lowest filled bar.

Was in too much of a rush to fly to see what "Auto" selected... actually didn't think of it until later. I'm indoors but just tried switching to Auto and the freq stayed on 149, same as it was on Manual.

I'm on 5.8ghz FCC tx. Maybe that makes a difference?? After a sample here so far of 3 it looks like it does.

So far with the firmware upgrade v1.00.0500 and Fly App v1.1.0
@EyesWideShut default is "Manual - Canada
@RBRTSTLL default is "Manual" - USA
@Xanadu default is "Auto" - Greece
I have 2 minis, both CE, one bought in UK and the other in South Africa. They both shipped with FW 0400, and both have now been updated to 0500.
Using Fly 1.1.0, i am also experiencing this rather annoying issue, both minis default to manual channel selection!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S