DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map beacon

Rchawks

Reactions
Tonight I stepped outside to get a quick flight and I noticed the beacon at the bottom center of the screen seemed to be inaccurate with it telling me the drone was behind the controller when the opposite was true. Also I'm unsure how to cause this icon to appear or disappear from the screen. I would prefer to leave it there to tell me which way I'm facing.

Guessing that's due to the limitations in positional accuracy of the two individual GPS engines, one in the drone and one in the Smart Controller (or phone/display). Since they are commonly off by several feet (due to the intentional inaccuracy of the civilian GPS signals), they won't necessarily correlate lat-lon with one another. When they are physically close the lat-lon positions can vary enough that their physical positions won't match the display by a goodly number of feet error. The compass arrows "should" show drone and controller compass orientation correctly though. As soon as the drone flies a few yards away they should orient correctly in the horizontal plane.

I have noticed that issue since I use an iPad mini instead of the iPhone. Mi iPad isn’t the cell model, so it doesn’t have gps positioning, it’s position Is via WiFi which isn’t accurate at all. When flying, the icon shows it’s relative position with the supposed position of the tablet. If I look to the map, the blue dot who shows my position isn’t in my position, but the supposed one. That’s why the icon appears to be in my back when it’s in front of me. If I use the iPhone, the icon shows the correct position, because the telephone is gps positioned.
Two solutions: change your iPad to a cell model, which is gps positioned or flying with the map amplified. The red line shows the RTH path for your MM, so it’s easy pointing direct to it, just setting that line in front of you. The real problem for me comes if you have to use the find my drone option: with a gps positioned device you’ll be guided directly to your crashed drone, but a non gps trash won’t be able to guide you.
D8055CEC-32BF-49F8-845A-B0642BCF209B.jpeg

Androids are notorious for their compasses becoming inaccurate. Doing a figure 8 twirl often recalibrates it.

The indicator may be off if say the AC is in front of you to the north but your phone says you're facing south. In such case it would think the AC is behind you. The AC position relative to you would assume you're at the HP.

You need to calibrate your MD while attached to the RC.
Follow Goog's own direction, don't leave the Fly app.

Attachments

• 084958yk43sddps8lkx0ly.gif
    084958yk43sddps8lkx0ly.gif
    313.4 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Rchawks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom