DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map or radar?

Eyeonyou

Reactions
Just wondering what most Mavic owners fly with. Do you have the map on the left corner or radar? I know you get both if you use a tablet but I’m talking about when using a phone. I tend to only use the radar cause I feel I know where it is better.

Reactions: JMF
map

Camera + map(not satellite) gives me the best spacial awareness.

I fly mostly in build up areas. The map gives me so much detail.
I can immediately see what is directly below and around the drone.
The map shows me the streets, water, park etc., and when zoomed in it even shows the buildings.
It also shows a direct line to the home point, to easily know the relative position.
It's also easier to determine if there is a magnetic issue. I just look f the red arrow is lined up with the street the same way the drone is. No need to know where north is.

The radar will just lose you the ability to see what your drone is flying over.
I don't really know what the radar does that the map + telemetry does not already give you.

map

Camera + map(not satellite) gives me the best spacial awareness.

I fly mostly in build up areas. The map gives me so much detail.
I can immediately see what is directly below and around the drone.
The map shows me the streets, water, park etc., and when zoomed in it even shows the buildings.
It also shows a direct line to the home point, to easily know the relative position.
It's also easier to determine if there is a magnetic issue. I just look f the red arrow is lined up with the street the same way the drone is. No need to know where north is.

The radar will just lose you the ability to see what your drone is flying over.
I don't really know what the radar does that the map + telemetry does not already give you.

Do you not fly very far from your home point? How do you know where to point your controller at the drone without using the radar? That’s the part I couldn’t figure out using the map.

Reactions: Drone_guy
Do you not fly very far from your home point? How do you know where to point your controller at the drone without using the radar? That’s the part I couldn’t figure out using the map.

The map shows a direct line from the homepoint to the drone (green line on IOS, I think it's orange on Android). But never had to use that to aim the controller.

Regardless of how far away I fly I know the general direction of where the drone is at all time, even without the map/radar. Like most, I usually don't fly in VLOS, but in my opinion, even when you are not in VLOS you should at least know the generally direction and location of your drone.

(Usually I'm within 1.5km because of interference or buildings blocking the signal)

Have you flown long range before just using the map? Let’s say like 2+ miles? I’ve found that I can’t actually aim the controller without using the radar. Maybe it’s just me

Radar provides another use too. It functions as an artificial horizon and can give you some indication of winds aloft (head wind, crosswind, etc.). If the "nose" is above or below the horizon, or a "wing" is above or below the horizon, you have some indication of wind direction and a clue as to how it will impact your flight. For example, it you fly out some distance (at full throttle) using half your battery but have a strong head wind coming home, will you have enough battery left to make it home? Or, if you flying straight out and your right "wing" is below the horizon, you may have a crosswind, which may or may not affect your flight. You don't get any absolute data here, such as wind speeds, but you do get some data that could impact flight.

Reactions: JMF
Ya I watched a video on that the other day. I’ll have to start paying attention to that more.

Radar for me all day long. I don't need the map as I have a live view of where I am at. I always fly with radar in sport mode to get the power consumption %. They should show that % in gps mode as well in my opinion.

You get a very good indication of wind speed by looking at power consumption. going up wind it will for example show 70% consumption at 40kmh, going down wind at 65kmh it will then show 30% consumption.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo