DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mapbox on controller and Cacheing maps

shutterguy

Reactions
Hello all, I've had my M2P for about a week now and I love it. I am curious about something, I am using a Samsung Galaxy 9.7 Tab S tablet for a display, the tablet has the GPS chip, but no LTE. I keep reading about having to cache maps (which I've never done), also some pilots has said their Mapbox map is blank, mine always shows a map of where I'm at and the flight path. Is the GPS chip in the tablet supplying the Mapbox map for the controller? Also with the GPS would you still need to cache maps?

Is your Tab S connected to your phone hotspot

No, phone plan doesn't have hotspot option so I just run the Tab S with no data connection.

Is it possible that you just haven't traveled very far from where the tablet was connected to the internet, like within just a few miles of your home? If so, you will find no maps once you travel farther from the area that already have cached due to it being your locale.

It's nice to have finer detail, but really, the biggest value of the map for me is showing me the flight path from the take off point, which can use to orient yourself, the craft position, or return back if you lose VLOS.

Chris

That is possible, I was at the beach which is approximately 5 miles from my house. Also the downtown area of Cleveland which is 20 miles from my house. Now usually what I do is keep the tablet powered off at home and on charge until I go out flying. Everything seems to be working fine, the Mapbox display on the tablet definitely shows my starting location and flight path.

I just ordered the Smart Controller, and from what I can find it shows the same. I'm new to this so I am still understanding the tech involved.

Hello all, I've had my M2P for about a week now and I love it. I am curious about something, I am using a Samsung Galaxy 9.7 Tab S tablet for a display, the tablet has the GPS chip, but no LTE. I keep reading about having to cache maps (which I've never done), also some pilots has said their Mapbox map is blank, mine always shows a map of where I'm at and the flight path. Is the GPS chip in the tablet supplying the Mapbox map for the controller? Also with the GPS would you still need to cache maps?
This post won't help with your Mapbox issue but if you don't mind, I am trying to decide what tablet to use with the M2P can you tell of your experience with the Galaxy 9.7 Tab S, & whether you would recommend it? Thanks.

This post won't help with your Mapbox issue but if you don't mind, I am trying to decide what tablet to use with the M2P can you tell of your experience with the Galaxy 9.7 Tab S, & whether you would recommend it? Thanks.

I ended up picking up a Smart Controller so I don't use the Tab S anymore. As its use for a display I highly recommend the Samsung, it is a very light tablet and I believe the AMOLED display resolution is 2550 x 1440, it is stunning. DJI software ran without an issue and battery life was pretty good. I used a slim protective case for the Tab S to keep it in good condition. The only issue I had was interference issues coming from the standard controller at times, I was using aftermarket USB-C cables for connecting the controller to the Tab S, was never able to figure out the problem.

I ended up picking up a Smart Controller so I don't use the Tab S anymore. As its use for a display I highly recommend the Samsung, it is a very light tablet and I believe the AMOLED display resolution is 2550 x 1440, it is stunning. DJI software ran without an issue and battery life was pretty good. I used a slim protective case for the Tab S to keep it in good condition. The only issue I had was interference issues coming from the standard controller at times, I was using aftermarket USB-C cables for connecting the controller to the Tab S, was never able to figure out the problem.
Thank you for your help, your reply focused on the most relevant issues very helpful.

On android, maps are cached when you open the map and scroll through it.
Obviously, you need to be online to do that...
But after disconnecting from the Internet, you still see the locations you saw before because they got cached automatically.
On ios, I don't know if that works.

Reactions: shutterguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929