DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mapping settings

John G.

Reactions
I'm trying to get to the holy grail of 1 cm resolution on my orto maps. What are ya'lls settings for height/overlap, etc.? Is there a good rule of thumb? Is it as easy as flying lower and more photos?

1 cm resolution on my orto maps
To get close to that resolution, you'll have to fly max 150-160' altitude and "turtle pace" slow. Probably 6 mph and capture images every 4 seconds to get a 75%/75% overlap.

DroneDeploy app will capture the images for free, but will charge you to process them.

Reactions: John G.
To get a 1cm GSD you will need to fly at correct height for your drone/camera setup to do that. The Pilot 2 app will tell you the GSD. As Sam36401 said work on minimum of 70% front and side overlap. I don't know if your drone uses a global/mechanical shutter, if not you must keep airspeed down to stop rolling shutter probs. If you don't have GNSS base, GCPs and/or RTK you won't get cm accurate results .

Others advice is spot on. And yes to lower your GSD you fly lower.
1cm GSD does have some disadvantages when trying to map certain areas that look similar such as forrests, snow cover, fields and such.

Most image capturing software will give you the GSD as you setup for the mission in the app.
Pix4D Capture, Drone Deploy (Image acquisition app) and Map Pilot are pretty popular and easy to use.

Pix4D also has the new Pix4D Capture Pro that states it works with your M2P.

Reactions: John G. and BigAl07
I'm trying to get to the holy grail of 1 cm resolution on my orto maps. What are ya'lls settings for height/overlap, etc.? Is there a good rule of thumb? Is it as easy as flying lower and more photos?
Mapping is complex. It all depends on the environment, trees or not and what you want to see clearly or not.
On a stadium, for example, with no stands, a simple orbit of 20 photos is enough to get good 3D modelling.
Before I was like at school, I followed the mapping grid with the calculator as @Sam36401 said.
Good mapping normally requires a grid of 20m x 15m at an altitude of 50m with a Mini 3 Pro and 27m x 20m on a Mavic 3.
I've got the 2, and now I don't look at these values any more, I just do it as I go and see what it gives...
First of all, you need to know whether you want to be seen or not because at 50m you can hear a Mini 3 Pro and I'm not even talking about the Mavic 3. Otherwise it's 90m but the sharpness isn't as good and the parameters aren't the same but for seeing buildings or houses that's enough...

But that's just my impression from doing regular mapping...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope