DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maps IOS device ?

THE CYBORG

Reactions
I bit the bullet & got an iPad solely or my drone monitor.

With my Android tablet I downloaded Google offline maps for the county I live in and they always showed in Go4 when I flew.
I don't get offline maps on the iPad, I thought I had set things up the same as on my Android but yesterday when I got the chance to fly no map showed.
Help from you apple fans would be appreciated.

I bit the bullet & got an iPad solely or my drone monitor.

With my Android tablet I downloaded Google offline maps for the county I live in and they always showed in Go4 when I flew.
I don't get offline maps on the iPad, I thought I had set things up the same as on my Android but yesterday when I got the chance to fly no map showed.
Help from you apple fans would be appreciated.
Turn on “cache map in the background” and then go to the area you will be flying in. Move the screen around the area and then avoid force closing the app (you maybe able to force close the app cause I just did it and it saved the map but just try not to do it just for fun.)

You can also use your mobile device as a hotspot and download the map on site and then turn off Wi-Fi and it will use very little data just to get the map.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE CYBORG
I download the offline map(s) for use later on, you can find the guide here .. I usually download a whole region then before i leave open google maps make sure that it updates (with any changes that could have happened during initial download to current)

I download the offline map(s) for use later on, you can find the guide here .. I usually download a whole region then before i leave open google maps make sure that it updates (with any changes that could have happened during initial download to current)
While that’s a good idea on iOS apps can’t access data from other apps without the app having a specific permission to do that and only with native Apple resources. A common one is photos and for an app to access the system photos it has to get permission from the user to access those resources which is why when you start DJI Go for the first time iOS asks if DJI Go can have access to the photos.

Unfortunately, google maps is no longer a native iOS resource so DJI Go 4 cannot access offline maps from the Google maps app in iOS. It in theory might have been able to access saved offline Apple Maps but DJI Go 4 is not set up to use Apple Maps. In theory Litchi which can access Apple Maps might be able to but I’m not sure if you can even download Apple maps like that.

So if,
“DJI Go 4 cannot access offline maps from the Google maps app in iOS “
And
“DJI Go 4 is not set up to use Apple Maps”

How can I get maps on this stupid iPad ?

I look at post 2 but in post 5 you say

And

So my question still stands, if DJI Go 4 on iOS cannot use off line maps Apple or Google how can I show maps on the iPad ?

I know you are trying to help but I don't get it, on Android I simply download map of intended location and use it.

So here is what I do.. I also have an ipad.

Before I go out flying I connect up the ipad to my wifi and open go4
Then I open the map and scroll it to where i intend to fly.. now the map is downloaded for the location.
I minimise go4 and drive to the location.
Now when I click go4 icon .. because the app was only minimised the map is still there..

Starting to get this now pross

If I close Go4 the map has gone so I have to leave the stupid iPad running until I want to fly.
I only got the iPad to use with Go4 because everyone says the app is superior on IOS doesn't look that way to me ?

You nearly got it...

You dont CLOSE the app.. you just click the back button at the bottom to minimise it.. its still open.. just minimised and hybernating, then just lock the pad.. no need to ever power it off... nobody does that!

when you click the app icon next time now you are offline the app is wokoen up... and the map is there for you to use, because you updated it while you had the wifi connection.

Thanks for the help people.
Looks like I have a lot to learn with iOS, as you can probably tell I am an Android / PC man.

If I had got the iPad to use as a tablet I would be selling it I like iOS that much but it’s for the drones so I will persevere :rolleyes:

I look at post 2 but in post 5 you say

And

So my question still stands, if DJI Go 4 on iOS cannot use off line maps Apple or Google how can I show maps on the iPad ?

I know you are trying to help but I don't get it, on Android I simply download map of intended location and use it.
DJI Go 4 has a Google Maps API access which is basically a little web browser that can only connect to GoogleMaps.com.

Just like if you were to go to a web page and then turn off your internet that web page that was loaded will remain loaded in your browser window until you close the browser program and then it’s lost. Same thing with the map in DJI Go 4. Just think of the maps window as a web browser.

Fun fact: Litchi for iOS seemingly has at least medium level standard maps for the whole US already cached automatically and will let me cache high quality satellite maps for a much greater area than DJI Go 4.

I know you don’t live in the US but maybe it caches your local country. Not sure about that but worth a mention

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samdesign