DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marco Polo tracker placement

U want me to mail u mine? Just PM me if so. You're stateside, right? NM I see you're out west coast...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I have reached out to the company that makes the Marco Polo tracker - Eureka products with a request for development sample that would allow me to measure and dimension a prototype. From there I make sure it fits properly upon my Mavic Pro and does not interfere with any aspect of its operation . Im going for rounded edges, low drag coefficient with required openings for charging and antenna.

I appreciate the offer and will be in touch depending on the response I receive from the manufacturer.

Reactions: heyjack19
Problem with a bracket on the 2 "tabs" (I assume you mean the rear landing feet) is that you will be landing on it unless you hand catch or have some other legs that will hold it off the ground. Also, keep in mind one of the vision positioning system cameras is located right between the 2 "tabs" so you probably don't want to block that or you will get warnings or weird behavior.

Thanks for mentioning that! The bracket developed would not position the Marco Polo on the underside. Instead it will move it to the rear with a cutout in the bracket for the rear lighting. Imagine a rear bumper of sorts.

It may even end up being a two piece unit where the tab mounting bracket is low profile below the Mavic Pro with no obstructions to the lower sensors or landing feet and then the main holder will snap in or attach to the rear. That way there should be less stress on the mounting feet area as there will not be alot of snapping off of the lower portion of the holder.

Problem with a bracket on the 2 "tabs" (I assume you mean the rear landing feet) is that you will be landing on it unless you hand catch or have some other legs that will hold it off the ground. Also, keep in mind one of the vision positioning system cameras is located right between the 2 "tabs" so you probably don't want to block that or you will get warnings or weird behavior.

You're right. Just looked. I guess I'm just really interested in getting it somewhere it will not have to be removed and doesn't look so "out of place." A device could be Printed to attach to the rear supports and project out behind the MP, but it's drawback in that position would be the blocking of the rear led...

The best place thus far is where F6Rider has placed it [for looks and ease-ability] - - but it would have to be removed to fold up the MP. I'm having a hard enough time remembering to remove the Gimball Guard, so I'm sure I'd be forgetting to put the Marco Polo on [from time to time]. I like "simple" and "stream lined."

I have reached out to the company that makes the Marco Polo tracker - Eureka products with a request for development sample that would allow me to measure and dimension a prototype. From there I make sure it fits properly upon my Mavic Pro and does not interfere with any aspect of its operation . Im going for rounded edges, low drag coefficient with required openings for charging and antenna.

I appreciate the offer and will be in touch depending on the response I receive from the manufacturer.

It would be nice if whatever you print also allowed you to gain access to the small charging port on the end of the tracker. And, since we're talking about it - - also allowed one to see the flashing LED on the tracker to let you know it was "ON."

It would be nice if whatever you print also allowed you to gain access to the small charging port on the end of the tracker. And, since we're talking about it - - also allowed one to see the flashing LED on the tracker to let you know it was "ON."

Absolutely! Those design considerations are already part of the intended design. Access to the charging port to accommodate the charging bullet end might mean that the hole size would not allow the enclosure to be watertight when the charger was removed , but that is less of a consideration unless flying ones Mavic in a torrential downpour or through a car wash.

Reactions: Slantnose79
You could maybe utilize something I already designed, or could modify it slightly. It is a modification to the extended rear landing legs that has tabs for mounting lights I am putting on my Mavic, you could probably re-purpose it to mount the tracker.

Mavic Pro Rear Landing Extension with Lighting Mount by Motley74

I could modify that fairly quickly to have a tab large enough to velcro a tracker to it, or I could design a box that would fit the tracker (I do have one). If you prefer to work the project I can leave it up to you as well.

Reactions: BD0G
I have the landing leg extension on that use those two tabs to 'lock' the rear struts into and I tried mounting on that, but you have to offset the tag to one side or the other to keep the antenna out of the prop swing. If the antenna came out of the middle of the tag it would work fine. I am fine with it on the side, at least until you smart people come up with a box that fits between the landing legs and doesn't obstruct the OA sensors. Keep in mind the antenna on the tag is 3" long and the tag itself is 2"L X 7/8"W X 1/2" D. You will need access to the tag for the charging port, the om/off button, and status led. I am thinking a snap open 'Pill' box with a hole for the antenna only. You would have to open it to charge and turn it on.

Last edited:
You could maybe utilize something I already designed, or could modify it slightly. It is a modification to the extended rear landing legs that has tabs for mounting lights I am putting on my Mavic, you could probably re-purpose it to mount the tracker.

Mavic Pro Rear Landing Extension with Lighting Mount by Motley74

I could modify that fairly quickly to have a tab large enough to velcro a tracker to it, or I could design a box that would fit the tracker (I do have one). If you prefer to work the project I can leave it up to you as well.

It sounds like you are in a better position to design a solution as I dont have a Marco Polo tracker in my possession to model from at the moment. I will print your prototype of the design and refine for my needs if it requires it.

Reactions: Motley
It sounds like you are in a better position to design a solution as I dont have a Marco Polo tracker in my possession to model from at the moment. I will print your prototype of the design and refine for my needs if it requires it.
You can try this one if you want. you can hot glue the flatter side of the tracker to the tab sticking out of the back of the landing legs, the antenna could point out of the rear or point inward under the Mavic.

Rear Landing Extension with Tracker mount by Motley74

I may take a crack at redesign as I was thinking an enclosure would be more secure and aerodynamic if done well.

Yep, go for it. With a little more time and effort something more elegant could definitely be created. The only thing I would be careful of when it comes to mounting this is that you will throw of the center of gravity for the Mavic. While I am sure it can compensate for the weight of a tracker (and mount) it may reduce flight time.

I like how small the marco polo tx is. Im using the trackimo which is a bit bigger but its a 3g celluar deal. I also plan to attach a Tile bluetooth tracker because they allow u to emit an audible noise from the Tx tile device once i use the trackimo to get me in the general location...just in case i cant find it i would like to be able to use my tile app to further investigate . Ive used the tile to find my keys so many times and im a real believer in finding things by sound. Try it in addition to ur gps trackers if u dont have a marco polo, low cost investment and they are super small/weightless . Also the tile has a gps map option thats much more pin point accurate to exact location versus the 3g cell devices that give only a general gps coordinate that could be anywhere from spot on to like a city block off. I can tell if my keys are in my car, or on what side of my house by using the tile app map locater

Surly the antenna sticking up between the props is a risk, how ever small .
A bird strike , velcro failing , antenna being bent by branches . I can see site many risks .
Mounting with an tenant along body or underneath has to be safer .
What is the range of these trackers?

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

As I have written in this forum already, use Velcro & 2xTie Straps not a chance of it falling off whatsoever.It folds perfect & you Don't never need to take it off as you can charge it placed.

As I have written in this forum already, use Velcro & 2xTie Straps not a chance of it falling off whatsoever.It folds perfect & you Don't never need to take it off as you can charge it placed.

Pressman: i've looked at all of your posts, I am unable to see a picture of your mounting. Can you provide a couple pictures for reference? Thank you.

Keep in mind that the stated 2 mile range is with the extended in a vertical position. This is best for both range and close up tracking, having the antenna horizontal will reduce both range and accuracy.

Trackimo has no range limit, it works worldwide, another reason its my favorite and seemingly by far the best tracker not only for drone use but can be used for all ur tracking needs. I encourage u to use the trackimo link and scroll down to the drone part of their advert www.trackimo.com

I'm very happy with my Marco Polo unit. It's been on all my birds, and with a 2 mile range, I have great confidence that I can find it anywhere except underwater.:eek:

A really nice thing about the unit is that the locator can be oriented vertically if the bird ends up in a tree.:eek::eek:

Like others, mine is on the battery out of the way of props.IMG_0085.JPG

Trackimo has no range limit, it works worldwide, another reason its my favorite and seemingly by far the best tracker not only for drone use but can be used for all ur tracking needs. I encourage u to use the trackimo link and scroll down to the drone part of their advert www.trackimo.com

FYI: Trackimo is >3X heavier than Marco Polo [12g vs 40g]... And, Trackimo has a $60/year fee - Marco Polo = No Fees. And, Trackimo needs cellular service to work - Marco Polo doesn't use cellular service to work... I guess if I didn't mind the $60/year service fee, I'd be interested... To each his own :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580