DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marco Polo

Montana John

Reactions
I am looking into "lost drone finders." So first, does anyone have any thoughts on their usefulness? Second, it looks like the Marco Polo is the best out there for my needs (poor cell coverage many forests and mountains here). Thoughts, before I spend significant bucks?

My personal opinion: What for?

If you're following the law, you should never lose your drone.
If you lose a DJI, the chances that you recover it WORKING are slim.

I have Hellgate buzzers on my hand built drones, those can crash and take a beating. Sine they crash daily and need locating, it makes sense.

Your DJI already has GPS, if you pay attention and (again) follow the law, you'll never need a locator for a DJI

That said, another option is Trackimo:

and (again) follow the law, you'll never need a locator
You will have to give some more reasons for this statement. Is it against the law to lose your drone? I can think of a number of scenarios where I am flying legally and the drone could be lost. The guys is asking a valid question and someone always has to get negative. I don't get it. At least you did give a suggestion in the end.

My personal opinion: What for?

If you're following the law, you should never lose your drone.
If you lose a DJI, the chances that you recover it WORKING are slim.

I have Hellgate buzzers on my hand built drones, those can crash and take a beating. Sine they crash daily and need locating, it makes sense.

Your DJI already has GPS, if you pay attention and (again) follow the law, you'll never need a locator for a DJI

That said, another option is Trackimo:
I think you missed one thought. If I follow the law AND if the GO 4 app works the way it should, I should never lose a drone. The GO 4 app has a 2.5 out of 5 approval rating for good reason. My contribution to the low score is the time I launched off an abandoned dirt road, the drone went up ten feet then flew sideways at high speed for fifty feet and ended in long grass on a rise in the ground. Yes, there could have been a buried pure iron meteorite there, but in that case, a finder would have been more convenient than walking around in wet weeds for half an hour. BTW, I put on four new propellers and it worked fine in a new location.
Thanks for the input.

Is it against the law to lose your drone?
Technically a drone should be flown within line of sight of you, or another paired operator. Therefore, the moment you lose your drone, you're operating illegally.

Proper startup procedure and system checks has kept me from disaster so far, and I've had the DJI app freeze and quit mid flight. If I was out of sight there's a good chance I would have lost it.

I didn't mean to sound negative to the poster, just to the idea of a $300 tracker that helps me find what is likely a broken drone. I would recommend more mindful operation before a product like that.

If a person has dji refresh it won’t matter how damaged the drone is as dji wants a corpse .
And a person can lose their drone while flying 100% legal .
I myself had a close call while taking a couple of nice photos . My bird was about 300’ feet away from me and about 120’ in the air . It had a nice stable hover and I was messing with camera settings . The silly thing for no reason went into atti mode . With in 4 seconds the wind pushed it out of line of site because of the trees . I climbed straight up until I could see it and flew it back to me .
If it crashed in the bush after a minute or two of drifting with the wind it would be near impossible to find it as the gps lock would be gone once it crashed .
So hearing be legal and you won’t have trouble is such crap and is getting old hearing .
A better response would be to try to figure out what tracking unit will work for the pilot and his wallet

If a person has dji refresh it won’t matter how damaged the drone is as dji wants a corpse .
You know that's a darn good point.
A better response would be to try to figure out what tracking unit will work for the pilot and his wallet
And that brings me back to a simple beeper you can get. I've seen them with a removable watch battery. The super cheap method is to just turn the beeper on while you're operating, if you lose your drone you can find it that way. They're pretty loud, and cheap enough that I have one on all of my FPV drones. $20 - $25
KwrPb35.png

But hey, your bird's an investment, if you can afford the warranty and the tracker, fly till you're happy . :)

Last edited:
I test my case :
Offering options for finding the bird is why he posted .
If a few different ones were listed he can pick what he likes and then the post he made did what he wanted it to do .

Reactions: pelagic_one
Technically a drone should be flown within line of sight of you, or another paired operator. Therefore, the moment you lose your drone, you're operating illegally.

Proper startup procedure and system checks has kept me from disaster so far, and I've had the DJI app freeze and quit mid flight. If I was out of sight there's a good chance I would have lost it.

I didn't mean to sound negative to the poster, just to the idea of a $300 tracker that helps me find what is likely a broken drone. I would recommend more mindful operation before a product like that.
If i ditch in a lake, am I still operating while it sinks? If i have polarized sunglasses, I could watch it as it sinks. Sorry just being stupid. Your beeper idea is interesting, but does it get irritating while flying around? Beeps and dings start to get on my nerves after a while.

If i ditch in a lake, am I still operating while it sinks? If i have polarized sunglasses, I could watch it as it sinks. Sorry just being stupid. Your beeper idea is interesting, but does it get irritating while flying around? Beeps and dings start to get on my nerves after a while. Sorry about the "negative" comment. I had been reading some other threads that got me a bit testy.

If it's available where you are, State Farm insurance is great and a lot better than trying to find a lost bird. $60 a year minimum and it covers any reason, lost, stolen, broken, etc. I totaled my P4P, got a quote for a new one from @Thunderdrones and my agent mailed me a check the next day for the full amount.

And a person can lose their drone while flying 100% legal .
I myself had a close call while taking a couple of nice photos . My bird was about 300’ feet away from me and about 120’ in the air . It had a nice stable hover and I was messing with camera settings . The silly thing for no reason went into atti mode . With in 4 seconds the wind pushed it out of line of site because of the trees . I climbed straight up until I could see it and flew it back to me .
If it crashed in the bush after a minute or two of drifting with the wind it would be near impossible to find it as the gps lock would be gone once it crashed .
So hearing be legal and you won’t have trouble is such crap and is getting old hearing .
Thank you, Canuk. Your breath of normal is so welcome. Now any ideas on the tracking units, anyone?

If it's available where you are, State Farm insurance is great and a lot better than trying to find a lost bird. $60 a year minimum and it covers any reason, lost, stolen, broken, etc. I totaled my P4P, got a quote for a new one from @Thunderdrones and my agent mailed me a check the next day for the full amount.
I am a State Farm client already, so this might be the most inexpensive answer. Thanks.

I am a State Farm client already, so this might be the most inexpensive answer. Thanks.
Just a note here. See if you can get an additional PAP policy that would cover just the drone. If you elect to cover it under your homeowner's insurance it could be Subject to your homeowners deductible which is usually100 to $500.

I am also a State Farm Insurance holder but I have my PAP policy completely separate from my other insurance. $60 a year 0 deductible

Reactions: RTKD
@Montana John- I'll start by saying that the only one I on is not made for my drones and is combined with my home security system. I have done a fair amount of reading on the subject the last few weeks and I agree with your assessment. If you live in a rural area with very poor cell service then the Marco Polo is the logical choice. Good Luck!

P.S. I do not work for or represent Marco Polo in any way.

Just a note here. See if you can get an additional PAP policy that would cover just the drone. If you elect to cover it under your homeowner's insurance it could be Subject to your homeowners deductible which is usually100 to $500.

I am also a State Farm Insurance holder but I have my PAP policy completely separate from my other insurance. $60 a year 0 deductible
Hey, Thunderdrones, does this whole syndrome look repairable in some way, or is it just deep in very complex software? I would love to ship my mess to you, give you money, and get a problem free package in return mail. Do I dream?

I am looking into "lost drone finders." So first, does anyone have any thoughts on their usefulness? Second, it looks like the Marco Polo is the best out there for my needs (poor cell coverage many forests and mountains here). Thoughts, before I spend significant bucks?
Hi John . Ross here from Brisbane Down Under - Used the Marco Polo in Iceland about 6 months ago when my Mavic pro decided to venture afar on its own accord after a short flight . Unit was returning to home when it suddenly disconected , increased altitude and flew rapidly past the RTH point and out of sight .
Unable to reconect so fired up Marco Polo unit which indicated a direction about 90 degrees from the last seen flight path - I was looking at a never ending field of grain crop about 2 feet tall . eventually drove about 1KM down the road and walked about 250 metres into the field - found the little critter after a couple of minutes circling - thankfull for the dayglo orange skin- AC had not landed vertically - it had carved a track through the planr at about 30 degee angle - no damage ! Without the Marco Polo my chance ofrecovery would have been nil
Regrads Ross

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcremona