DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mass reduction on Mavic 2 zoom

szg1

Reactions
I have a mavic 2 zoom, which - without the lens cover - weights 900.6 grams.
Any ideas to reduce it's weight to under 900?
The only option I've looked into was lighter propellers.
If you have any more ideas, I'm happy to read and try them :)

Ps: warranty is over anyway

No need.
0.6 grams is beyond the margin of error on almost every scale, including yours.
Close enough!

Reactions: Meta4
No need.
0.6 grams is beyond the margin of error on almost every scale, including yours.
Close enough!
I've used a (chemical) laboratory scale, with error margin of .01 grams.
According to the official documents, it's 905 grams.

But saying it was in margin of error isn't a bad idea.
Also I'm hopeful that authorities won't get mad over lying about 0.7 grams

I've used a (chemical) laboratory scale, with error margin of .01 grams.
According to the official documents, it's 905 grams.

But saying it was in margin of error isn't a bad idea.
Should have assumed your scale was more accurate. LOL! My bad.

However, it's not lying, if it is within the margin of error of their scale, assuming anyone ever questions the weight as being under 900g.

You could also easily shave or sand 0.7 grams in total weight off the drone or a battery. Just play with sanding or shaving off the surfaces, until you get the magic weight. It doesn’t still need to look pretty to become legal, but with some creativity, you could accomplish both!

Can you imagine a situation in which any authority would ever care enough to bring your drone in and weigh it?

Can you imagine a situation in which any authority would ever care enough to bring your drone in and weigh it?
EU has separate regulations for pilots flying drones under 900g, much like the U.S. 250g limit for unregistered recreational pilots who then are also exempt from RID. Officious LEO's and Karens will be carrying around scales, demanding to weigh your drone! LOL!

You could also easily shave or sand 0.7 grams in total weight off the drone or a battery. Just play with sanding or shaving off the surfaces, until you get the magic weight. It doesn’t still need to look pretty to become legal, but with some creativity, you could accomplish both!
Love the sanding idea!
Probably the front landing legs will be the sacrificed parts.
Will report back with a picture as well

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The front legs contain antenna panels that probably should be left alone. My first thought would be to remove some of the material surrounding the battery itself and leave the aircraft shell intact. Tool of choice would be a dremel tool.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Dremel tool. Did I compromise the integrity of the battery? Doubtful.IMG_5220.jpegIMG_5222.jpeg

If only there were a commercially available battery that was 5g lighter! That shouldn’t be difficult. Maybe just a slightly reduced flight time.

No LEO's or Karens in the EU?
Who's going to enforce the regulations?
If no one, what's to worry about?
Have seen you tube videos from pilots in EU that were stopped by special police in drone units. They seemed very knowledgeable and thorough in their jobs.

My first thought would be to drill a few holes in the Mavic's body, avoiding sensitive internals, obviously. Enhanced venting might be a byproduct, too.

When I was a kid, I remember reading about a guy drilling holes in his BMX bicycle. His rationale: if you can lose an ounce by drilling a hole in a non-critical location, you can lose a pound by doing it 16 times.

I wouldn't turn my drone into Swiss cheese, but .6 grams doesn't sound too difficult.

Does the drone comply with EU requirements ??????
I do not know but is there any chance that the weight/mass is "as supplied by the manufacturer" ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078