DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DroneBeacon db120 (for remote ID)

Otisangb

Reactions
I came across this aftermarket remote ID module DroneBeacon db120 - DroneScout
Not going to buy until the deadline this sept. for my mavic 2 zoom. At 25 grams what kind of performance (battery) degradation do you think I would expect. Not really concerned about the aerodynamics as i fly around slowly anyways. Really just the weight. Hopefully they will come out with something smaller and lighter by then. (And less expensive). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reactions: MA2 317
It all will become more urgent in late summer, and hopefully we will see many more choices for RID beacons.

That db120 seems like good news; it’s the second I’ve seen, the first was around $300 USD. This one about $140 USD seems like a good trend!

I also like 25g !

Reactions: Otisangb
25 grams can mean different things to different drones.

For my Mini 2 that gets used for commercial stuff? That's 10% extra weight.

For my Evo II Pro? That's... uhhh... that's a rounding error. It's probably the difference between the standard props and the low-noise props.

Reactions: Otisangb and SethB
Here’s the Dronetag (link) that’s been out for a couple months (?)

$300 USD, 32g

If the price of a RemoteID module reduces by 50% every 2 months between now and Sept. 2023, they’ll cost about $2.16! One can hope…

Reactions: Otisangb
25 grams can mean different things to different drones.

For my Mini 2 that gets used for commercial stuff? That's 10% extra weight.

For my Evo II Pro? That's... uhhh... that's a rounding error. It's probably the difference between the standard props and the low-noise props.
Yes, how did I forget to say it will be for a mavic 2 zoom. I actually thought I put that in there but obviously did not.

I viewed a video a while back with Ken Heron and the Dronetag, it was mentioned that a cheaper model would possibly be released in the future for the hobbyist. 🤔

So far, $140 is cheaper than $300 and they may get smaller and cheaper as the deadline nears next year.

I fly a Mavic Air 2 that didn't make the RID list and I may purchase an Air2s since the MA2 stuff will work on that model.

Don't really want to purchase something new just yet.

Between the strobes and prop guards, there's not much real estate left on the bird for mounting additional components.

And won’t that be a hoot if external RID modules interfere with GPS reception. Like some are experiencing with the Insta360 Sphere.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
And won’t that be a hoot if external RID modules interfere with GPS reception. Like some are experiencing with the Insta360 Sphere.
SOON, PEOPLE THAT OPPOSE RID, WILL ONLY HAVE TO PUT A RID SCRAMLER ON THEIR DRONE. It will essentially take the broadcasted legitimate RID and scramble the outgoing data. The internal RID transmitter will have no clue. It will be a very simple fix for those who do not want their info transmitted. If you can put a RID transmitter on a drone, that doesn't transmit RID, putting a RID disrupter on the outside of RID equipped drone will be a snap. The drone with RID will have no idea that its details have been altered.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
RF transmission and data streams don't work like that.

RF transmission and data streams don't work like that.
Would the RID data stream need to be identified before a specific blocking frequency can be identified? Or , will the blocking have to be more like a code related jammer specific to the RIDs code pattern? Any ideas om how such a blocking system could work?

Blocking isn't going to work.
At "best" you're going to end up with 2 signals - a fake and the genuine so 2 contacts shown. It wont stop the original one in the drones internal SDRs from transmitting.

Anything to interfere with DJIs internal RID is going to have to come from firmware hacks (possible on older drones, not newer as they blocked it). This is no different to Aeroscope (which is remote ID and has been on all drones since Phantom series).

Adding an extra transmitter with spoofed data isnt going to stop the original transmitter from working and broadcasting as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s