DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which drones are already Remote ID compatible?

crlmjohnson

Premium Pilot
Reactions

Which drones are already Remote ID compatible?​

clock.svg
January 4, 2021
blg-like.png
blg-share.png

RIDCOMPATIBLEDRONESSMALL-copy.jpg

The list of drones already compatible with Remote ID is long, and yet it won't matter in 2023.
After posting our initial Remote ID rundown, it is clear that many drone pilots are still flustered regarding Remote Id. Albeit the anger and frustration may actually be caused by a misunderstanding of which aircraft work with Remote ID. The response has been mixed, even Google wing tried manipulating the FAA into implementing Network ID.
Unless we are misreading the Remote ID rules, most drones comply with Broadcast Remote ID right now.... Yes, you read that right. Most drones and even some FPV drones, already comply with the broadcast version of Remote ID. Remote ID (standard) requires a Broadcast of information regarding the flight from the drone. The FAA did ensure that the public can see flight information, but not pilot information.

What drones already comply with Remote ID?​

Actually, the list is quite long as to which drones already comply with Remote ID. Though it may not matter as your current drones might not even be airborne when Remote Id is officially implemented. Remember it will be 30 months from publishing before Remote ID operational rules take effect. Our DJI drones, when used often, have a shelf life of roughly 2 years. (Approx: depends on aircraft) DJI also tends to launch new aircraft in one and two year cycles.
We would imagine that there would be a plethora of NEW drones that would comply with RID, once implemented in 2023.
Drones that already comply with broadcast Remote ID
  1. DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2
  2. DJI Phantom 4 Pro
  3. DJI Phantom 4
  4. DJI Phantom 4 RTK
  5. DJI Phantom 4 Multispectral
  6. Mavic Pro
  7. Mavic 2 Pro
  8. Mavic 2 Zoom
  9. Mavic 2 Enterprise
  10. Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual
  11. Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual Advanced
  12. Mavic Air
  13. Mavic Air 2
  14. Mavic Mini
  15. Mini 2
  16. DJI Spark
  17. Inspire 1
  18. Inspire 2
  19. Inspire 2 Pro
  20. Matrice 200
  21. Matrice 210
  22. Matrice 300
Many drones already comply with Remote ID, you'll notice 100% of them are made by DJI. Those DJI drones can be seen by a system called Aeroscope. DJI made it clear in 2017, that they wanted to provide a method of digital license plate, like what we see with RID. They also wanted to provide law enforcement with a method of viewing said system, thus Aeroscope.
It is much clearer, now, why DJI wanted to provide a method of RID that didn't create burdens on operators. Can you imagine if the AMA would have taken RID so seriously?
We expect future drones made with the cube flight controller to be compatible as well.

FPV drones currently compatible with Remote ID (Broadcast)​

Frankly, most of the analog FPV drones will not comply with Remote ID.
Analog FPV drones do make up a majority (it seems) of FPV drones out in the world. Recently, digital FPV has become quite the hit with FPV pilots across the globe. DJI even launched the DJI air unit which will also power the new DJI FPV drone. The DJI air unit allowed pilots to fly FPV using a digital transmission. DJI's air unit provided reliable control and video at significant distances... as long as you were flying line of site.
FPV pilots who use the DJI air unit to build an FPV drone might be happy. FPV drones that use DJI's air unit are not currently Remote ID compatible. In the future, FPV flights might be seen by the neighbor. So now everyone will know when little Johnny is just flying his drone. You might only see with the DJI FPV drone, which would (we assume) have a GPS unit.
We just hope said neighbor doesn't shoot down the drone.
Not because it is a federal crime, but because they realize the drone is not a threat.

Reactions: Cayo6466
I’m not sure about this (though as someone who bought a M2P a few moths ago I hope it’s correct). The article mentions the Remote Identification feature on DJI drones that can be read by Aeroscope, but that’s different from the FAA’s Remote ID and I think the article may be confusing the two. Since one of our members recently posted info from DJI saying they ANTICIPATE most recent DJI will comply via a firmware update, and given that the technical specs haven’t been worked out, I don’t know how anyone can say for sure what aircraft will comply.

Edited to add: I just noticed the comments on the original article, and Vic Moss, who posted the video here from DJI I mentioned above, commented that the article was incorrect.

Last edited:
Problematically it is not the practical existing uses, such as Aeroscope data, that currently satisfy FAA mandates.... it’ll be ADS.
I don’t think that’s correct either. Having just spent money to update my plane to ADS-B, no way that will be part of the specs. That would add many thousands to any drone.

I'm not looking forward to the possibility of a public confrontation with someone who objects on general principles to drones. I would buy the yellow vest saying Licensed FAA drone pilot do not disturb, if I thought they would leave me alone but I would think that would cause the opposite to happen...
The first time a remote pilot gets assaulted by someone who tracked them down via an app will be a lawsuit heading to the door of the FAA (assuming they weren't breaking the rules, to begin with...

I'm not looking forward to the possibility of a public confrontation with someone who objects on general principles to drones. I would buy the yellow vest saying Licensed FAA drone pilot do not disturb, if I thought they would leave me alone but I would think that would cause the opposite to happen...
The first time a remote pilot gets assaulted by someone who tracked them down via an app will be a lawsuit heading to the door of the FAA (assuming they weren't breaking the rules, to begin with...
While I realize some drone pilots have a concern over a member of the general public confronting them while flying legally, I think if it happens it will be very rare. How many people are going to take the effort to download the RID interrogation/reader app and put it on their cellphone in the oft chance of encountering a drone in their area. I imagine the app will not be free and cost at least a few dollars - note in the DJI article on RID they didn't indicate that they would be creating an app, just that they thought their drones would be able to be brought into compliance via firmware/software update.

When you're driving or walking around your community on any given day, how many times do you actually see a drone in the sky. I suspect that the vast number of those getting the app will be local law enforcement types (just in case they need to id a drone due to public complaints or suspicious flight conduct), private security types protecting attractive infrastructure (sport venues, gated communities, homes of celebrities/VIPs, etc.), and us drone pilots (just out of curiosity).

This is not to say that people that hate drones still won't come up to you to give you a piece of their mind, just that they probably won't be using RID to find you.

While I realize some drone pilots have a concern over a member of the general public confronting them while flying legally, I think if it happens it will be very rare. How many people are going to take the effort to download the RID interrogation/reader app and put it on their cellphone in the oft chance of encountering a drone in their area. I imagine the app will not be free and cost at least a few dollars - note in the DJI article on RID they didn't indicate that they would be creating an app, just that they thought their drones would be able to be brought into compliance via firmware/software update.

When you're driving or walking around your community on any given day, how many times do you actually see a drone in the sky. I suspect that the vast number of those getting the app will be local law enforcement types (just in case they need to id a drone due to public complaints or suspicious flight conduct), private security types protecting attractive infrastructure (sport venues, gated communities, homes of celebrities/VIPs, etc.), and us drone pilots (just out of curiosity).

This is not to say that people that hate drones still won't come up to you to give you a piece of their mind, just that they probably won't be using RID to find you.
The most that happened to me was when I was flying at a local lighthouse on a warm December day. There were people out enjoying the 50 degree temps (see I said it was warm) and I was out at the lighthouse and some folks remarked about aliens... They didn't come over to me or talk to me. I think unless we are flying in a suburban environment we won't have much interaction.

clock.svg
January 4, 2021
blg-like.png
blg-share.png

The list of drones already compatible with Remote ID is long, and yet it won't matter in 2023.
After posting our initial Remote ID rundown, it is clear that many drone pilots are still flustered regarding Remote Id. Albeit the anger and frustration may actually be caused by a misunderstanding of which aircraft work with Remote ID. The response has been mixed, even Google wing tried manipulating the FAA into implementing Network ID.
Unless we are misreading the Remote ID rules, most drones comply with Broadcast Remote ID right now.... Yes, you read that right. Most drones and even some FPV drones, already comply with the broadcast version of Remote ID. Remote ID (standard) requires a Broadcast of information regarding the flight from the drone. The FAA did ensure that the public can see flight information, but not pilot information.

Actually, the list is quite long as to which drones already comply with Remote ID. Though it may not matter as your current drones might not even be airborne when Remote Id is officially implemented. Remember it will be 30 months from publishing before Remote ID operational rules take effect. Our DJI drones, when used often, have a shelf life of roughly 2 years. (Approx: depends on aircraft) DJI also tends to launch new aircraft in one and two year cycles.
We would imagine that there would be a plethora of NEW drones that would comply with RID, once implemented in 2023.
  1. DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2
  2. DJI Phantom 4 Pro
  3. DJI Phantom 4
  4. DJI Phantom 4 RTK
  6. Mavic Pro
  7. Mavic 2 Pro
  8. Mavic 2 Zoom
  9. Mavic 2 Enterprise
  12. Mavic Air
  13. Mavic Air 2
  14. Mavic Mini
  15. Mini 2
  16. DJI Spark
  17. Inspire 1
  18. Inspire 2
  19. Inspire 2 Pro
  20. Matrice 200
  21. Matrice 210
  22. Matrice 300
Many drones already comply with Remote ID, you'll notice 100% of them are made by DJI. Those DJI drones can be seen by a system called Aeroscope. DJI made it clear in 2017, that they wanted to provide a method of digital license plate, like what we see with RID. They also wanted to provide law enforcement with a method of viewing said system, thus Aeroscope.
It is much clearer, now, why DJI wanted to provide a method of RID that didn't create burdens on operators. Can you imagine if the AMA would have taken RID so seriously?
We expect future drones made with the cube flight controller to be compatible as well.

Analog FPV drones do make up a majority (it seems) of FPV drones out in the world. Recently, digital FPV has become quite the hit with FPV pilots across the globe. DJI even launched the DJI air unit which will also power the new DJI FPV drone. The DJI air unit allowed pilots to fly FPV using a digital transmission. DJI's air unit provided reliable control and video at significant distances... as long as you were flying line of site.
FPV pilots who use the DJI air unit to build an FPV drone might be happy. FPV drones that use DJI's air unit are not currently Remote ID compatible. In the future, FPV flights might be seen by the neighbor. So now everyone will know when little Johnny is just flying his drone. You might only see with the DJI FPV drone, which would (we assume) have a GPS unit.
Not because it is a federal crime, but because they realize the drone is not a threat.
I requested all files that FaceBook had on me and they had records of everytime i flew my Mavic Air and My Typhoon H. They knew when and where I flew. They know everywhere Ive been in the last 14 years. When Im at work, when Im at home , where I eat, and when I sleep

Reactions: DougMcC

Law enforcement will have the app and everyone that hates drones and figure out they can cause you trouble anonymously and they will tell police of crazy stories cause thats kinda what haters do

Richiebricker is very much correct. I could tell you stories about how this happens. Funny how in the US it is now, guilty until proven innocent.

I requested all files that FaceBook had on me and they had records of everytime i flew my Mavic Air and My Typhoon H. They knew when and where I flew. They know everywhere Ive been in the last 14 years. When Im at work, when Im at home , where I eat, and when I sleep
That right there is why I have never joined Facebook or even ever went to facebook.com!

Oh, did you hear Facebook is hiring? You don't need to fill out an application, they already know everything about you :)

Easy answer.

None!

clock.svg
January 4, 2021
blg-like.png
blg-share.png

1. DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2
  2. DJI Phantom 4 Pro
  3. DJI Phantom 4
  4. DJI Phantom 4 RTK
  6. Mavic Pro
  7. Mavic 2 Pro
  8. Mavic 2 Zoom
  9. Mavic 2 Enterprise
  12. Mavic Air
  13. Mavic Air 2
  14. Mavic Mini
  15. Mini 2
  16. DJI Spark
  17. Inspire 1
  18. Inspire 2
  19. Inspire 2 Pro
  20. Matrice 200
  21. Matrice 210
  22. Matrice 300

Are the RIDs available now in DJI? I see the RID section in the Go app, but the ID there is the FAA ID of my drone. I am sure that is not the RID.

Are the RIDs available now in DJI? I see the RID section in the Go app, but the ID there is the FAA ID of my drone. I am sure that is not the RID.
Still none. DJI RID and FAA RID are not the same thing. Yet.

Drone U needs to pull this video down. He's wrong about it, I've told him, and he ignores me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78