DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID and ability to launch?

88lance

Reactions
Hello everyone, I have a MA2, and live in the US.

So in the coming weeks I'll either need an ID module, or an update that will make the Air2 capable.

However I really just use the drone during travels outside of the US. It seems I rarely fly while I'm back here.

I'll usually launch over the field behind the house to do a test run and updates a day or two before I leave for a trip again, and that's about it. I log most of all my hours outside of the country.

If they make the MA2 capable of RID with an update, that's fine, whatever. If they don't, and expect me to buy a $300 module for the occasional test flight over the field before I leave, I'll probably just ignore it. I'm in the middle of nowhere.

But will the new update make the drone incapable of launching without it?

I read some threads discussing this from 6 months back, and there were a lot of uncertainties at that time, so I was curious if there were any new updates on the matter, or if they had clarified whether takeoff would be an issue or not by now.

I also had read that DJI claimed that the Air2 was capable, and that they would have an update out around the end of September for RID, but that was also several months ago.

Can anyone fill me in with any new updates on these two things since we are almost at the deadline?

I also had read that DJI claimed that the Air2 was capable, and that they would have an update out around the end of September for RID, but that was also several months ago.

Can anyone fill me in with any new updates on these two things since we are almost at the deadline?

Last I read, DJI will have an update buy December 31, 2023.

You'll still be able to fly at a designated FRIA field without having to have RID.

My opinion: If I still had my Air 2, given there is an update planned to add RID, I (only speaking for myself, not giving advice) would fly recreationally and not worry about it. I think the risk of enforcement this soon after the deadline is very small, and the consequences also likely trivial, this early on.

Good to know they are still planning the update, even though it is a bit far out.

Since I'm in the middle of nowhere, I'll probably do that, just keep flying for now for updates and test runs like I mentioned. I was unsure if one of the new updates would disable the drone though, so hopefully not.

The MA2 will never have an issue taking off whether it has RID or not. If you don't get the update and you fly outside the FRIA, only your morals will prevent the drone from taking off or not. If you get RID update from DJI, the drone will take off when RID start up is initiated and cleared....which is basically always. The drone will not take off if it encounters and RID error.

I believe the common fear is when RID is implemented, drones without RID will be grounded. That simply isn't true.

HERE is the latest list I’ve been able to find from DJI. Looks like the Air 2 will be no later than September 30, 2023.

Then you’d be flying illegal.
...Unless you attach an external RID module, right? Or does the reg require native capable drones to be using built-in RID, if available via firmware update?

As long as the module is FAA certified, you’re ok.

Reactions: umanbean
I just love when posters say you will be flying illegal if you don’t use RID. I’ll bet those same people always have line of sight with their drone so they don’t fly illegal.

I just love when posters say you will be flying illegal if you don’t use RID. I’ll bet those same people always have line of sight with their drone so they don’t fly illegal.

Yeah, what's wrong with them, following the law? They're definitely not cool, right?

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: okw and rjwmorrell
Thank you for pointing out the reality, Karens always over-look their failures in compliance

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer