DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Master Airscrew 15% off sale

kjcbid54

Reactions
For anyone that is not on MA mailing list, they just sent out an email to notify about their Easter sale for 15% off your next order. Free shipping on orders over $25 too. Just an FYI in case you want to try some after market props. Seems that most people are happy with the performance and quality of these props. Link is below:
Master Airscrew Propellers | Extreme Performance and Efficiency

I like the sound and performance of the MAS Mavic Air props. BUT, even with gains reduced to 80%, still get the dreaded
motor error message. Don't know if I'm going to do long term damage....

John
Bottom line is that if you are getting longer flight times - and most Mavic Air users report that's the case - then the prop's are being spun at lower rpm (which is why they are quieter), and the battery current draw is lower ... What part of "less wear-&-tear on the motors" sounds like a bad thing?
The error message is simply stating that the morors are operating 'outside' the normal parameters expected with DJI prop's ... It's not sophisticated enough to be able to tell you if it's outside in a good way or a bad way.

Bottom line is that if you are getting longer flight times - and most Mavic Air users report that's the case - then the prop's are being spun at lower rpm (which is why they are quieter), and the battery current draw is lower ... What part of "less wear-&-tear on the motors" sounds like a bad thing?
The error message is simply stating that the morors are operating 'outside' the normal parameters expected with DJI prop's ... It's not sophisticated enough to be able to tell you if it's outside in a good way or a bad way.

I agree to a point. My opinion is that DJI spent thousands of hours designing their props to the proper pitch (thank you again for that lesson) and RPM for the motors to operate at peak efficiency. The Flight time/battery consumption/wear and tear ratio has been thoroughly investigated at DJI, and I think their props are perfect, but noisy.

After market is all about departing from factory specs to get the result you want, despite it not being designed to use those parts. A higher pitched, lower revving prop will require the motor to exert more force at initial rotation than the OEM props. Its like a high geared transmission being put into a car designed for a low gear tranny. Yes it will work, and cut down RPM noise, but not without it's issues. Intimal vibration is greater, which is why we have to turn the gain down when using the MAS props or using MPP props on an MP.

My take is that low speed maneuverability and acceleration is going to suffer when you put higher pitched props on. It is impossible that it wont. In full scale recip planes, you can get a "climb prop" or a "cruise prop" depending on what your goal is. MAS are cruise props, and might get you more flight time, but sacrifice stability and reaction time of the motors.

All this aside, I have a few sets of MAS props, and they are good quality. Been using MAS products for many years and they dont fool around. Of course, your individual product may vary, such as uneven seems on the prop hub, but overall they arent terrible. ;)

I'm a customer of mas
(own 3 pair)
And they do give me longer run time and are quieter on the MP1
Also lost my Mavic and because of the bright Orange color was easier to visually locate in the brush.!

I understand Robs statement they may wear
Some components faster then the stock dJI props.
And because I have an older mavic
.....and I know a guy that could replace said warn parts (@ThunderDrone)
I'm willing to take the chance of parts wearing faster then schedule
For the longer flight time High visual & the quietness
Just like to add I have 3 pair of MAS prop they are Fragile
Just the slightest touch while spinning
MIGHT
damage them
Still the plus out weights the negitive

....cR
IMG_20190309_211619.jpg

After market is all about departing from factory specs to get the result you want, despite it not being designed to use those parts. A higher pitched, lower revving prop will require the motor to exert more force at initial rotation than the OEM props. Its like a high geared transmission being put into a car designed for a low gear tranny. Yes it will work, and cut down RPM noise, but not without it's issues. Intimal vibration is greater, which is why we have to turn the gain down when using the MAS props or using MPP props on an MP.

My take is that low speed maneuverability and acceleration is going to suffer when you put higher pitched props on. It is impossible that it wont. In full scale recip planes, you can get a "climb prop" or a "cruise prop" depending on what your goal is. MAS are cruise props, and might get you more flight time, but sacrifice stability and reaction time of the motors.

All this aside, I have a few sets of MAS props, and they are good quality. Been using MAS products for many years and they dont fool around. Of course, your individual product may vary, such as uneven seems on the prop hub, but overall they arent terrible. ;)
I know where you are coming from on this one TD and what you say is logical - but - you'd be 100% correct IF the Master Airscrew prop's were pulling more current from the battery. We know that they aren't - because flight duration is increased with MAS prop's (lower power drain = longer flight). For comparison - if you put carbon-fibre 8331 copy prop's on a Mavic Pro, the rpm drops similar to the MAS prop's, but flight duration also decreases. That's because you are pulling more power to swing the c-f prop's (higher power drain = shorter flight) ...

Low-speed manouverability doesn't seem to suffer with MAS, because the motors are working less-hard (technical term!) and therefore there is a lot more 'dynamic range' in what the motors can do when they are swinging them. I did hover tests a while ago to compare prop's, and one thing I did observe was that the hover stability with MAS prop's was better than both c-f and DJI stock. The 'measurement' was Mk1 eyeball, observing the hover against a cross-hatched trellis in my back garden. I could just 'see' that my Mav' Pro was more stable ...

Acceleration is actually better with the MAS prop's, because the DJI stock prop's will tend to 'feather' into the airflow when they are accelerated i.e. the blade twists into the airflow due to the 'plastic' not being very stiff. That means that the DJI prop's tend to 'absorb' some of the transition shock and smooth it out ... which is great for a camera platform, but won't give the best acceleration and feedback for stability. The stiffness of the MAS prop's is a significant and different factor here.

Remember that the 'vibration' that is cured by reducing the Gain - has nothing to do with prop' balance ... That's about 'fine-tuning' the feedback loops to keep the Mavic stable, without the more efficient prop's over-compensating and causing a see-saw over/under/over/under etc. ...

I know where you are coming from on this one TD and what you say is logical - but - you'd be 100% correct IF the Master Airscrew prop's were pulling more current from the battery. We know that they aren't - because flight duration is increased with MAS prop's (lower power drain = longer flight). For comparison - if you put carbon-fibre 8331 copy prop's on a Mavic Pro, the rpm drops similar to the MAS prop's, but flight duration also decreases. That's because you are pulling more power to swing the c-f prop's (higher power drain = shorter flight) ...

Low-speed manouverability doesn't seem to suffer with MAS, because the motors are working less-hard (technical term!) and therefore there is a lot more 'dynamic range' in what the motors can do when they are swinging them. I did hover tests a while ago to compare prop's, and one thing I did observe was that the hover stability with MAS prop's was better than both c-f and DJI stock. The 'measurement' was Mk1 eyeball, observing the hover against a cross-hatched trellis in my back garden. I could just 'see' that my Mav' Pro was more stable ...

Acceleration is actually better with the MAS prop's, because the DJI stock prop's will tend to 'feather' into the airflow when they are accelerated i.e. the blade twists into the airflow due to the 'plastic' not being very stiff. That means that the DJI prop's tend to 'absorb' some of the transition shock and smooth it out ... which is great for a camera platform, but won't give the best acceleration and feedback for stability. The stiffness of the MAS prop's is a significant and different factor here.

Remember that the 'vibration' that is cured by reducing the Gain - has nothing to do with prop' balance ... That's about 'fine-tuning' the feedback loops to keep the Mavic stable, without the more efficient prop's over-compensating and causing a see-saw over/under/over/under etc. ...

Alot of it has to do with centrifugal force. Yes, once the MAS props get to full cruise RPM, then you might save some amps, thus increased flight time. BUT, getting them up to speed takes more inertial force than the stock props for exactly the reasons you mention. The stiffer the blade, the higher the pitch, the more force it takes to get it spinning up to speed. Same as trying to start a car off in 2nd gear. In a car you can do it, but in the short term you will hear your bearings clanking if you let the clutch out too fast, and in the long term your clutch might wear out while you are riding it while the clutch engages, and the car gets up enough movement to unburden the engine of the added resistance of a higher gear. If you try to leave rubber in 2nd gear, all you are going to do is stall the engine. Same as when you give the drone full power at takeoff with the higher pitched MAS props. So what do you have to do, you turn down the gains, which you need to do with the higher torque props.

I cant quite agree that the motors are working less hard at low RPM with the MAS props. If the OEM props are more "feathered" as you say, and softer, it's impossible that the MAS could be easier to turn at low RPM.

Yes acceleration might be better at low RPM with the MAS, BUT, at what cost? What you are essentially doing by asking a higher pitched prop to accelerate as fast or faster than a lower pitched prop is adding additional burden to the motor. Again, trying to turn a higher pitched, bigger prop with the same motor that was designed for a lower pitched, softer prop, is beyond the design specs for the motor. Yes, it can work, but MAS doesnt tell you that when you buy the props. When they get to cruise RPM, yes they might save on some amps, but Im totally satisfied with the OEM props, and Im not really interested in 1 minute more flight time at the risk of possible long term damage to my motors. Im not saying that this could happen, but the MAS were not designed to optimize motor lifespan, they are designed to extend flight time, and make the drone quiter to the ear. Ive got a few pairs of the MAS in different colors, but I like the OEM better. It just makes me feel better to use OEM equipment since using the MAS props makes such a negligible difference in flight time, and definitely has an effect on low speed handling and motor reaction time.

What does this mean to the average pilot? If you want your motors to last as long as they were designed to, stick with the OEM props. If you are looking for slightly improved flight times, slightly higher top speed, MAS might be an option for you, but not for me. I never fly at full speed, and like my low speed handling the way the Mavic was designed to do.

Reactions: Bobvt
Well this right here made 100% sense to me. I really like the MAS props but I still have issues with them. For some flights I like them a lot like just flying in circles up high but I prefer the OEM props for more nimble fun (flying around and though stuff) because of the stability. Breaking time seems to be longer for me with the MAS as well. I tried to find the right gain settings for them to be like the DJI props but can't find the sweet spot. I guess the reality of it is having BOTH sets when I roll out to fly is the way to go for me. Just have to add the gain check to my pre-flight plan :)

Alot of it has to do with centrifugal force. Yes, once the MAS props get to full cruise RPM, then you might save some amps, thus increased flight time. BUT, getting them up to speed takes more inertial force than the stock props for exactly the reasons you mention. The stiffer the blade, the higher the pitch, the more force it takes to get it spinning up to speed. Same as trying to start a car off in 2nd gear. In a car you can do it, but in the short term you will hear your bearings clanking if you let the clutch out too fast, and in the long term your clutch might wear out while you are riding it while the clutch engages, and the car gets up enough movement to unburden the engine of the added resistance of a higher gear. If you try to leave rubber in 2nd gear, all you are going to do is stall the engine. Same as when you give the drone full power at takeoff with the higher pitched MAS props. So what do you have to do, you turn down the gains, which you need to do with the higher torque props.

I cant quite agree that the motors are working less hard at low RPM with the MAS props. If the OEM props are more "feathered" as you say, and softer, it's impossible that the MAS could be easier to turn at low RPM.

Yes acceleration might be better at low RPM with the MAS, BUT, at what cost? What you are essentially doing by asking a higher pitched prop to accelerate as fast or faster than a lower pitched prop is adding additional burden to the motor. Again, trying to turn a higher pitched, bigger prop with the same motor that was designed for a lower pitched, softer prop, is beyond the design specs for the motor. Yes, it can work, but MAS doesnt tell you that when you buy the props. When they get to cruise RPM, yes they might save on some amps, but Im totally satisfied with the OEM props, and Im not really interested in 1 minute more flight time at the risk of possible long term damage to my motors. Im not saying that this could happen, but the MAS were not designed to optimize motor lifespan, they are designed to extend flight time, and make the drone quiter to the ear. Ive got a few pairs of the MAS in different colors, but I like the OEM better. It just makes me feel better to use OEM equipment since using the MAS props makes such a negligible difference in flight time, and definitely has an effect on low speed handling and motor reaction time.

What does this mean to the average pilot? If you want your motors to last as long as they were designed to, stick with the OEM props. If you are looking for slightly improved flight times, slightly higher top speed, MAS might be an option for you, but not for me. I never fly at full speed, and like my low speed handling the way the Mavic was designed to do.
First things first Rob - You know I respect you like crazy - and I'd never want you to use product you have objections to, and therefore our debate here is without any thoughts of - 'you're wrong, I'm right' - or anything stupid like that ... So with that in mind, I'd like to continue to debate the points you have raised without any predjudice please ...

When you look at the force needed to overcome inertia in accelerating the prop's up to e.g. hover rpm, then what's more influential there is the 'weight' [Mass] of the prop's ... Force = Mass x Acceleration [F=MA] ... I've not got the best kitchen scales at my disposal, but my DJI 8331 prop' weighs in at 8 grams (0.28 oz), while my MAS prop' weighs 10 grams (0.35 oz). There is very little in it ... Now if you observe the rpm numbers on your RC controller while you have the Mavic sitting in the hover, you'll see that number continually changing, and usually by around 500rpm (50 on the controller). So the first point is that the motors don't really come up to speed and stay there - they are keeping the Mavic stable, and therefore can be changing +/- in rpm all the time. Again - I say that if the motor was having to draw more current to push the MAS prop's harder - then I'd expect to see shorter flight durations (as every feedback input that increased motor rpm would draw more current than compared to stock DJI). Your theory also makes me ask if there are 'types' of flights where the MAS prop's are more efficient??? I've not seen any evidence of that so far ... People have reported improved flight durations with MAS prop's during all types of flights - not just a restricted envelope ...
I know there is a lot of discussion regarding reducing 'Gain' to get the 'Mavic Air' Master Airscrew prop's under control, but I've not had to make any Gain changes in flying my Mavic Pro Platinum with MAS prop's ... What that's telling me is that the motors pretty much 'think' they are running DJI stock prop's - in that the rpm may be lower overall, but the change in rpm to get the corrective action is about the same ...

To focus on your automobile comparison, changing the prop's on a Mavic, is like changing the tyres on a car. If you asked 10 people if they still had the same brand of tyres on their car after the first set were changed, you'd probably get a majority saying - no, they changed the tyre brand - because; the rubber was too soft / rubber was too hard / original tyres were too expensive etc. As has been pointed out, there are cases for different types of tyres on cars / prop's on Mavic's depending on what you want from it ...

It's not theory, it's actual observed difference that the Mavic's motors are doing lower rpm's when spinning MAS prop's, when compared to the same with DJI 8331's. You'll still see the rpm variation as the Mavic pushes and pulls on each motor to keep steady-state hover, but while the rpm range from max. to min. is about the same for the two types of prop' - the starting point is lower for the MAS prop's. Due to the lower degree of stiffness in the DJI prop's, what actually happens is that the motor has to spin faster, and actually work a little harder to make the DJI prop's as effective as the MAS prop's - because the prop 'feathering' into the airflow effectively reduces the lift on that part of the blade to zero (note that this effect would not be seen along the whole blade length, but would be apparent nearest the tips). I can see your logic, in that you seem to be thinking ... "If the prop's are a courser pitch, and they are being spun at a lower rpm than DJI stock prop's, then the prop's are producing more drag, and the motors are working harder to spin them ..." Again - I'd agree - IF - the batteries were draining faster - which would show as a shortened flight duration ... but we don't see that. The interesting thing here is however, that if you do a comparison between a set of stock DJI 8331 prop's and a 3rd party carbon-fibre copy of the 8331 prop's - you do see it happen exactly as you describe. The rpm's are lower with the c-f prop's, BUT - the flight duration is cut dramatically!
I'd propose that both of us are right, in that the MAS prop's are making the motor work to get the required lift, but due to the stiffness and design of the blade, the required lift comes at lower rpm ... While the DJI prop's are feathering due to torsional stress (twisting along the blade length), which means the motor has to work harder and spin the prop's at a higher rpm to get the required lift.

Strangely enough. for the reasons I've proposed above, the acceleration required in the Mavic's motors to spin-up the stock DJI prop's is more than is needed for the MAS prop's i.e. the DJI prop's need to hit higher rpm to get equivalent lift/movement. I'm pretty sure that the max. ascent speed of the Mavic in its various modes, is set in software. With this being the case, I'd not be at all suprised to see that the rpm in a max rate ascent with MAS prop's on, would be lower than for DJI stock prop's ... Something I need to try one day.

Bottom line for me - and where my logic is coming from - is that if you have lower rpm's, and longer flight duration, you must be drawing less battery current. Lower current = lower Watts = less work being done by the motors. I don't know of any application where running an electric motor at higher rpm's will extend its life? ... So I'd question the assumption that you would actually get longer motor life [with higher average rpm's] using stock DJI prop's over MAS [with lower average rpm's] ...

Now - the positives for the DJI stock prop's:
1) Due to the higher rpm's, the Mavic will actually fly faster when it has the DJI stock prop's fitted. A Mavic Pro will fly faster with stock 8330 prop's then it will with 'quiet' 8331 prop's. In short, you have to be able to spin a prop faster to go faster!
2) Due to the torsional & longtitudinal flex on the DJI prop's, they act a bit like a shock-absorber, in that reacting to changes by e.g. wind gusts, should be smoothed out a bit more, giving the gimbal more time to react. In theory, this should mean that DJI prop's make the Mavic the better camera platform - but - personally, I've not noticed any detrimental effects in camera stability when using MAS prop's. The only instances of camera instability I've seen in the Mavic Pro, are when people put the DJI stock 8331 prop's on the Mavic Pro!

OK TD thinks MS will shorten motor life if so what would be your theory as to how much??
Fox thinks that lower RPMs less battery will not shorten motor life. So do you think it might lengthen motor life and if so by how much??

OK TD thinks MS will shorten motor life if so what would be your theory as to how much??
Fox thinks that lower RPMs less battery will not shorten motor life. So do you think it might lengthen motor life and if so by how much??
I can't be 100% sure, but if you are seeing an on-average 10% lower rpm then I'd expect to see at least the same extension to motor life. It's not an easy one because it's not usually a linear relationship. If you push anything mechanical more towards the upper limits of its operational envelope, then it tends to accelerate its decline ... However, in saying that - I believe that the DJI motor controllers keep everything well inside a 'civilised' boundary anyway - and it's pretty much impossible to over-rev' a DJI motor.

There's a load of theories, but no actual figures ... The DJI motors are brushless with only two bearings that can be classed as parts that will 'wear-out' ... It's going to be a 'depends' thing, because if you take-off from a fold-out drone pad with that screens your Mavic from dust - and I I take off from places where there's short grass and bare earth, then your MAvic's motors are going to last longer than mine, because mine will have grit in the bearings and that will increase the wear (in fact, that will have more effect on the motor life than the type of prop' you are spinning!!!).
Drone_motor.png

I can't be 100% sure, but if you are seeing an on-average 10% lower rpm then I'd expect to see at least the same extension to motor life. It's not an easy one because it's not usually a linear relationship. If you push anything mechanical more towards the upper limits of its operational envelope, then it tends to accelerate its decline ... However, in saying that - I believe that the DJI motor controllers keep everything well inside a 'civilised' boundary anyway - and it's pretty much impossible to over-rev' a DJI motor.

Again, not necessarily. ;)

When the ESC is applying full force to the motors to get the prop to rotate, which is exactly what it does when it is correcting the drones attitude, it stresses the motor out. This can cause unwanted vibration which is why everyone needs to turn their gains down before using higher pitched props.

The motors are not designed for the higher torque required to spin the higher pitched prop. I always err towards lower pitch, it will keep you out of trouble. Higher pitched props reaction time is slower than the OEMs.

Wow, you guys are very knowledgeable. I would like your opinions on which props would be best for me. I have a MP1 with a set of original DJI props. I'm not concerned with longer flight times (I have 3 batteries) or faster speeds. My main use is videos. But I would like to get a set of quieter props. Which ones would you suggest, the DJI Low Noise (8331) or the MAS. Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Former Member
Wow, you guys are very knowledgeable. I would like your opinions on which props would be best for me. I have a MP1 with a set of original DJI props. I'm not concerned with longer flight times (I have 3 batteries) or faster speeds. My main use is videos. But I would like to get a set of quieter props. Which ones would you suggest, the DJI Low Noise (8331) or the MAS. Thanks for any help.

You forgot option 3, stay with the OEM props. ;)

To me, the OEM Mavic props are not too noisy. The Air props are.

If you want to go quieter, you can
  1. use the OEM props, just fly a little bit higher.
  2. adjust the OEM parameters of the drone, and go with Mavic Platinum props.
  3. adjust the OEM paraemters of the drone and go with the MAS props.
I just like my OEM's, but it's not the only answer for others.

Now, if you want really quiet, save up for an M2 ;) Its the quietest drone Ive ever had (aside from my Parrot Anafi)

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan