DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Master Airscrew 15% off sale

The gain being turned down is just the PID loop just as you would on a race quad. You want it low enough to not induce vibrations but enough where you still have snappy pitch and roll rates. Yaw rate is usually ok within a general range.

I bought a set of these on sale to see for myself.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
The gain being turned down is just the PID loop just as you would on a race quad. You want it low enough to not induce vibrations but enough where you still have snappy pitch and roll rates. Yaw rate is usually ok within a general range.

I bought a set of these on sale to see for myself.

Jeff

Agree.

Nope - sorry if that's how it sounded, but of course not ... What I'm trying to say is that an electric motor of the type used in the Mavic is not damaged or worn by more work having to be done by the prop's ... The prop' is attached to a cage that spins around a 12 point stator on a pair of bearings. The bearing doesn't get 'strained' if the prop' works harder. To take that to the extreme, if you were (silly enough!) to grab and stop a Mavic prop spinning, there is nothing mechanical (apart from the prop itself & your hand) that would be damaged by doing that - and that's because the drive-coupling is electro-magnetic, and not mechanical (like a piston engine).

If one were to grab a motor and then hold it when its trying to spin up, there would be heat buildup, the other motors would turn to try and "right" the drone, and several other domino type effects would occur. Same is the case where you put a prop that is higher pitch on to a motor that is designed for a lower pitched one.

OEM. I doubt DJI is manufacturing everything in house. They have to sub out things to stay in business. MA just wanted too much money to make their props, so they subbed it out to a chinese outfit for pennies on the dollar. Also they could stop by from time to time and see What's going on, with them being just 2 blocks away.

Jeff

In that r

In that regard we'd still be driving model T's at 23mph complaining about having to hand crank it in the morning.

Jeff

Not necessarily. Technology evolves not only due to customer desires but also by competition, trickle down effects of technology used by the military, invention of new materials and many other reasons.

If someone, as most drone owners do, prefer to keep their drones stock, because they are unwilling or unable to deal with the effects that changes to the aerodynamics would have on the drone, they are best to stick with the stock setup.

OEM. I doubt DJI is manufacturing everything in house. They have to sub out things to stay in business. MA just wanted too much money to make their props, so they subbed it out to a chinese outfit for pennies on the dollar. Also they could stop by from time to time and see What's going on, with them being just 2 blocks away.

Jeff

I think DJI made a good choice in who they subbed out to, if that is even the case. I have never seen a defective or irregular prop come from DJI in all the thousands Ive seen. Not a single defective one. On the other hand, some people who bought MAS props in Europe did see some defects, seams not even etc.

In addition, I can attest to the fact that I have never seen a defective OEM Phantom prop either. I have a garage full of them. If its 2 things that DJI does absolutely perfectly, it's how it makes its props and batteries.

When in doubt, go with the sure thing.

Everyone is trying to make a buck. I’ll stick to what and how the engineers designed the equipment to operate.

To each their own. I want to atleast try to gain a slight improvement in flight time instead of a battery mod. Worst case scenario I wasted $22 bucks shipped. I've spent more on a terrible lunch. Not to mention a couple hundred dollar antenna mod.

Jeff

I think DJI made a good choice in who they subbed out to, if that is even the case. I have never seen a defective or irregular prop come from DJI in all the thousands Ive seen. Not a single defective one. On the other hand, some people who bought MAS props in Europe did see some defects, seams not even etc.

In addition, I can attest to the fact that I have never seen a defective OEM Phantom prop either. I have a garage full of them. If its 2 things that DJI does absolutely perfectly, it's how it makes its props and batteries.

When in doubt, go with the sure thing.

They did well on their props, they did well on their products all around. I've never been one to leave well enough alone!

Jeff

It's in my nature to tinker. What other individual gets an engineering degree (electrical) only to spend 10 years in the Army, in combat arms? Foolishness I tell you!

Jeff

Got the MAS props fitted and a test flight in today. Although the winds were around 8 knots on the ground and windsaloft put them at 17 knots at 250ft where I did most of the flight. I got 45k ft. round trip on a stock battery, no adjustment needed to the gain. I had a 27 minute flight out of a stock pack in sport mode trying to stay around 30-32 mph. The wind changed direction on me a few times. I have never gotten over 26 minutes with the stock props in ideal conditions. I call that a win for under $22 shipped.

Jeff

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi