DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maven with MA2 - jerky tracking

Greetings,

I'm getting jerky pitch and yaw using Maven Waypoints. Anyone else having this issue?
What device are you using and are all other apps closed? Since Maven uses virtual sticks a lot of calculations are going on and you may need a newer higher power device. Can you try it on another?

It's almost impossible (without hacking) to get smooth yaw with virtualsticks due to firmware limitations.

I havn't noticed it for pitch though, so you might check your device and check that your signal levels is ok.

Compass calibration can sometimes make it less visible.

Last edited:
Reactions: ninja_geezer
What device are you using and are all other apps closed? Since Maven uses virtual sticks a lot of calculations are going on and you may need a newer higher power device. Can you try it on another?
I'm using an iPhone 6s. It's the only device I have. Yeah, perhaps I should reboot the phone to kill anything running in the background, and then put the phone in airplane mode.

I tried every bit of software i could get my hands on inc litchi ,drone link, maven,,,,all jerky using virtual sticks when i had my air 2 i gave up and now fly manual with the air 2 s

It's almost impossible (without hacking) to get smooth yaw with virtualsticks due to firmware limitations.

I havn't noticed it for pitch though, so you might check your device and check that your signal levels is ok.

Compass calibration can sometimes make it less visible.
I may be wrong about jerky pitch. But the yaw is definitely stop-and-go.
Michele (the guy behind Maven) posted a Youtube of a waypoint mission running on a Mini, and the motion is perfectly smooth. I would think that if a Mini can do it, an Air 2 should be able to.
I tried every bit of software i could get my hands on inc litchi ,drone link, maven,,,,all jerky using virtual sticks when i had my air 2 i gave up and now fly manual with the air 2 s
Ouch, that's good info, but very bad news. I've been flying Parrot drones for years, and I have become totally dependent on waypoint/poi programming to capture good footage. Shortcomings aside, this is something Parrot does beautifully.

That said, I see a lot of beautiful footage on this forum that includes very, very slow turns. Is that all done with basic joystick input?

Michele (the guy behind Maven) posted a Youtube of a waypoint mission running on a Mini, and the motion is perfectly smooth. I would think that if a Mini can do it, an Air 2 should be able to.

Ouch, that's good info, but very bad news. I've been flying Parrot drones for years, and I have become totally dependent on waypoint/poi programming to capture good footage. Shortcomings aside, this is something Parrot does beautifully.

That said, I see a lot of beautiful footage on this forum that includes very, very slow turns. Is that all done with basic joystick input?
its just practice and editing.....;)

I have used Maven for missions with my MA2 and sometimes get jerky turns, but I think that's because I don't program enough waypoints close together. Not sure about that, but the more waypoints in a turn the more sgements of the turn that would be available. One waypoint per turn is probably not going to cut it finely enough. If I remember Michelle's video correctly, he had a lot of waypoints and made fairly broad turns.

I also suspect that programming a greater radius of curvature for the turns would be beneficial, although as I posted in a different thread you need to be careful about that since changing the radius of curvature causes the drone to shift its path laterally.

I will say that Maven has otherwise been very reliable for me, and I get the views I want as long as I remember to tell it to point the drone at the next waypoint.

Thanks Dave,

Good to hear that it is at least possible to get smooth motion. Do you include points of interest? What mobile device do you use?

I have to say, I got so spoiled with the smoothness of the Parrot in Flight Plan mode. I got awesome, complex (simultaneous elevation, forward, sideways, yaw and camera pitch) moves, via very simple programming. I never had to learn how to actually fly. Try flying a tight-radius, vertical helix around a subject. I'd get lost in a second. But the Parrot has some serious limitations, and I decided step up to the Mavic.

Thanks Dave,

Good to hear that it is at least possible to get smooth motion. Do you include points of interest? What mobile device do you use?

I have to say, I got so spoiled with the smoothness of the Parrot in Flight Plan mode. I got awesome, complex (simultaneous elevation, forward, sideways, yaw and camera pitch) moves, via very simple programming. I never had to learn how to actually fly. Try flying a tight-radius, vertical helix around a subject. I'd get lost in a second. But the Parrot has some serious limitations, and I decided step up to the Mavic.
all I can say is I hope you have more success with smooth turns than i did and all others ive spoke to using virtual sticks ,in my experience it just don't happen. ive tried all ways and even the orbits are poor. Therefore I gave up and learnt to fly manually and smoothly.

Thanks Dave,

No, I've not yet used points of interest together with a pre-programmed flight. I use an iPad 10.2 with the standard MA2 controller.

And I'm not saying that I have been completely satisfied yet with the smoothness of turns. I only suggested some things that I suspect would improve them. I've noticed, for example, that the closer I space waypoints the smoother the turns, and since Maven allows a lot of waypoints I plan to make more use of them. And it just makes sense that the greater the radius the smoother the turn is likely to be.

Do you have a link to that video?

I havnt tried mini1, but I have spent quite a few hours to get virtualsticks smooth on other dji drones. You can't unless you hack the gimbal to free mode and move the gimbal from software with long move duration (cant use speed, funny enough). Quite hard to get it right and you cant do it though the sdk.

Tested drones: phantom4 pro, mavic2, mini2, air2. All are jerky :-(

Reactions: ninja_geezer
I'm using an iPhone 6s. It's the only device I have.
I would say that the 6s has probably not got enough grunt to fly smoothly using virtual sticks. Because all of the control calculations and simultaneous real-time analysis of the drone position are being done by the phone/tablet, the faster the processor your device has, the smoother the end result will be.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Greetings,

I'm getting jerky pitch and yaw using Maven Waypoints. Anyone else having this issue?
I use and love Litchi App for waypoints. So much easier to program at my desk or on site without the drone being on. Also one neat trick is in Waypoints you can fly manually to a point and press the C1 button and that sets the waypoint. This is handy if you need a precise position like in between trees.

I use Maven quite a lot. Increasing the radius of your turns smoothes them out well, as does putting in plenty of waypoints.
Slightly off topic - the recent upgrade whereby you can add waypoints as you fly is brilliant for tricky, close quarters shots (through a tight gap, or along a track with lots of obstacles) You can fly it slowly and carefully, adding waypoints as you go. Edit the mission when you're done, smoothing the turns and removing all the clunky bits, then fly it again at a faster speed with smooth turns and no pauses - looks very professional… ???

Reactions: AZDave
Do you have a link to that video?

I havnt tried mini1, but I have spent quite a few hours to get virtualsticks smooth on other dji drones. You can't unless you hack the gimbal to free mode and move the gimbal from software with long move duration (cant use speed, funny enough). Quite hard to get it right and you cant do it though the sdk.

Tested drones: phantom4 pro, mavic2, mini2, air2. All are jerky :-(
i would like to see that video as well please...

• Haha
Reactions: surfbird
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3