DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 1 Pro VS Mavic Air 2...upgrade or downgrade?

SMG

Reactions
Hi All, I have a Mavic 1 Pro and recently started to wonder how it would compare to the new Mavic Air 2? Most all reviews on the MA2 are positive, some mention shaky video. Lighter weight maybe??

I could potentially sell my MP1 and get the new MA2 for not much more cash. I bought my MP1 used and very much a beginner at this point. Just wondering if its worth upgrading to 4 yr. newer technology and what would I loose or gain. MA2 seems to have a more advanced obstacle avoidance, and perhaps a better camera than my MP1. Just wondering if its worth upgrading to 4 yr. newer technology and what would I loose or gain.

Thanks.

Can’t tell you if it’s worth it, but sold my original MP AND my Mini after ordering the MA2.....the specs seemed to be an improvement over the MP, and if you don’t mind using the Fly app instead of the Go 4 app like me, it’s a no-brainer.

For now the MP is better if you want to use the Smart Controller, Crystalsky, or goggles, but many of us are waiting for an update to be able to use at least some of these.

Hi All, I have a Mavic 1 Pro and recently started to wonder how it would compare to the new Mavic Air 2? Most all reviews on the MA2 are positive, some mention shaky video. Lighter weight maybe??

I could potentially sell my MP1 and get the new MA2 for not much more cash. I bought my MP1 used and very much a beginner at this point. Just wondering if its worth upgrading to 4 yr. newer technology and what would I loose or gain. MA2 seems to have a more advanced obstacle avoidance, and perhaps a better camera than my MP1. Just wondering if its worth upgrading to 4 yr. newer technology and what would I loose or gain.

Thanks.
Lose the ability to use the goggles.
Lose the ability to control the sensitivity of the sticks and gimbal.
Lose some flight modes

The MA2 has lots of potential but they gotta fix the issue with not being able to control expo of gimbal speed and smoothing. Basic stuff they left out. I wouldn’t give up the pro till those things are fixed. Would drive me mad

Lose the ability to use the goggles.
Lose the ability to control the sensitivity of the sticks and gimbal.
Lose some flight modes

The MA2 has lots of potential but they gotta fix the issue with not being able to control expo of gimbal speed and smoothing. Basic stuff they left out. I wouldn’t give up the pro till those things are fixed. Would drive me mad
I believe the gimbal speed is being sorted, or is about to be. Personally, and being a Mavic pro owner (plus a P3P and Mini) I'd jump at the chance of a swap, the camera is a much better spec and the drone is quieter.

The active track is really miles ahead of Pro1, where i wouldn't really use it that much unless your subject is really working with you, ready to go, stop and maintain some kind of direction you give to synchronize drone and subject. Whereas in MA2, I feel its good enough to fly close, draw a box and start the active track and let it do its thing. To me the difference is from hardly usable to mostly usable on moving subjects.

If you use Litchi or Dronedeploy or pix4d to fly automated missions, its a hard no go for MA2 at this point. Officially DJI says September 2020 for SDK release but my guess is even if the SDK gets released, the level of access and API may or may not enable full Litchi features. Reason is being they appear trying to close off professional access with drones that use DJI FLY.

Another thing is if you do use your phone to control via wifi for short selfies etc, then now you must bring controller as well so the total bulk and weight is about the same.

Plus the other things you already can google about which are widely publicised.

I a,
The active track is really miles ahead of Pro1, where i wouldn't really use it that much unless your subject is really working with you, ready to go, stop and maintain some kind of direction you give to synchronize drone and subject. Whereas in MA2, I feel its good enough to fly close, draw a box and start the active track and let it do its thing. To me the difference is from hardly usable to mostly usable on moving subjects.

If you use Litchi or Dronedeploy or pix4d to fly automated missions, its a hard no go for MA2 at this point. Officially DJI says September 2020 for SDK release but my guess is even if the SDK gets released, the level of access and API may or may not enable full Litchi features. Reason is being they appear trying to close off professional access with drones that use DJI FLY.

Another thing is if you do use your phone to control via wifi for short selfies etc, then now you must bring controller as well so the total bulk and weight is about the same.

Plus the other things you already can google about which are widely publicised.
I almost jumped at the Air 2, but just for once, I managed to restrain myself, I'm awaiting the Mavic 3 pro, it'll have to be better than the Air 2, hopefully it'll be under 900g, 30+ minutes fly time, run Go4, have ADS-B, Ocusync 2, mechanical shutter, 1" sensor, etc, and I'd even pay Autel EVO2 money for it, as (from reading reports) the EVO2 has clunky controls and software, although DJI need some half decent competition, and Autel appears to be it, now if they stop ridiculous law-suits and concentrate of their product...

Reactions: mereflyer
I a,

I almost jumped at the Air 2, but just for once, I managed to restrain myself, I'm awaiting the Mavic 3 pro, it'll have to be better than the Air 2, hopefully it'll be under 900g, 30+ minutes fly time, run Go4, have ADS-B, Ocusync 2, mechanical shutter, 1" sensor, etc, and I'd even pay Autel EVO2 money for it, as (from reading reports) the EVO2 has clunky controls and software, although DJI need some half decent competition, and Autel appears to be it, now if they stop ridiculous law-suits and concentrate of their product...
Yeah well you left out an important note here in that you're looking at beyond pro 2, so surely it will be better all round no doubt. Enjoy your pro 1 for the time it'll serve you!

Yeah well you left out an important note here in that you're looking at beyond pro 2, so surely it will be better all round no doubt. Enjoy your pro 1 for the time it'll serve you!
As I said... "I'm awaiting the Mavic 3 pro", the Mavic Pro is an excellent bit of kit, and I really enjoy my 3 Pro too!

Thanks for the comments all, very helpful. I'm not interested in using goggles. 3rd party solutions like Litchi sound interesting, I'll have to read up on that. Since I'm into landscape photography, the improved camera on MA2 is what caught my eye, but I'm a bit concerned with lighter weight and potential lack of stability in MA2 for using slow shutter speeds. Any thoughts on stability?

Thanks for the comments all, very helpful. I'm not interested in using goggles. 3rd party solutions like Litchi sound interesting, I'll have to read up on that. Since I'm into landscape photography, the improved camera on MA2 is what caught my eye, but I'm a bit concerned with lighter weight and potential lack of stability in MA2 for using slow shutter speeds. Any thoughts on stability?
Have had no issues with stability when in high winds here in PA.

I've got about 3 or 4 flight hours here in Alaska so far. Stability has been pretty good so far in the wind. I've only flown with 9MPH gusts so far but it was really stable compared to my MPP. I did notice some issues with it when flying above a river on tripod mode. I didn't feel any gusts coming down the river but the drone would get kicked back about 3-5 feet like a strong gust hit it. I went ahead and stopped flying that area as I'm still getting used to it and didn't want to take unnecessary risks. Now it's raining and will be raining for the next few days so can't get out and do anything else.

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki