DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 and external antenna

jotto

Reactions
If I understand the manual correctly, the external pagoda antenna is not used with the Mavic 2. Is that correct?

On page 9 of the User Manual describing how to connect with OcuSync, the first step says to install the Pagoda antenna, or am I missing something?

On page 9 of the User Manual describing how to connect with OcuSync, the first step says to install the Pagoda antenna, or am I missing something?

I believe that's for the OcuSync Air unit (the standalone transmitter), although the manual isn't very clear.

I suppose that we interpret the manual differently, but given a specific statement to the contrary, the only information that I have is that another OcuSync transmitter (Air module) needs the pagoda. Lacking information that the Mavic 2 has some sort of different transmitter that would make the RE goggles not need an antenna, especially since they have been out long before the Mavic 2, I'm going to go with the nerdy looking antenna. YMMV. Good luck with your reception.

Saw a post in one of our forums of a Leaked photo of a different controller for the 2 . Matter of fact it was 2 of them and 1 had a moniter already . Now thats all I saw ,not sure here or in PP and you know how Leaked photos are .
All might have been nothing to it and didn't stick around to see anymore. Will look back in PP but chances I won't find it .

I asked in the DJI forum. A DJI employee replied that the external antenna is not required.

However, I am suspecting that this person didn't understand the question.

upload_2018-9-7_15-37-37.png

Great... so the support staff doesn't even agree with each other.

If the external antenna is required/recommended, I'm wondering if the 2.4/5.8 GHz cylindrical antenna would be better as the pagoda antenna is only for 5.8 GHz.

If the external antenna is required/recommended, I'm wondering if the 2.4/5.8 GHz cylindrical antenna would be better as the pagoda antenna is only for 5.8 GHz.

Since it uses a different physical interface (MMCX), how would you attach it to the Goggles RE? The cylindrical antenna is not listed as an accessory for the Gogglers RE either.

Edit2: Referring to the DJI web site, the Goggles RE page states that you don't need the Pagoda (5.8) antenna for aircraft using 2.4 frequency of OcuSync. However, the Mavic 2 Pro feature listing states that OcuSync 2 has 2.4/5.8 real-time auto-switching. As to whether the Goggles RE support 2.4/5.8 GHz auto-switching, in fine print at the bottom of the Goggles RE info page, "The DJI Goggles support a 2.4 GHz frequency band only, while the DJI Goggles RE support both 2.4/5.8 GHz frequency bands and real-time auto-switching for better performance."

Executive summary: Since both the transmitter (Mavic 2) and receiver (Goggles RE) are supporting auto-switching, we will need both the internal 2.4 and external 5.8 antenna when flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: CallmeDash
UPDATE: tried flight with antenna.

It works!

Well better anyway. Only got 1500 feet out but could see I was on the edge of transmission capability where I was operating. And it was consistent with distance. That’s a massive improvement on it regularly disconnecting no matter if I was even directly overhead.

Should really have made it clearer in manual, like given a table. I have a feeling if you operated solely in 2.4GHz you wouldn’t need an antenna and it’s the auto switching bands that creates the disconnect/reconnect effect when there’s no antenna attached.

Reactions: chipwich
UPDATE: tried flight with antenna.

It works!

Well better anyway. Only got 1500 feet out but could see I was on the edge of transmission capability where I was operating. And it was consistent with distance. That’s a massive improvement on it regularly disconnecting no matter if I was even directly overhead.

Should really have made it clearer in manual, like given a table. I have a feeling if you operated solely in 2.4GHz you wouldn’t need an antenna and it’s the auto switching bands that creates the disconnect/reconnect effect when there’s no antenna attached.

Good to hear HA. The switching phenomena is pretty common with FPV diversity systems where you have dual receivers and dual antennas, or receivers that support dual antennas. The lower frequencies are usually for longer range/better penetration, and higher frequencies for a better image.

I fly only in 2.4GHz and tried both with and without many times with Mavic and Ocusync Air unit and never saw a difference. So if any it is likely only for the 5.8 band.

I fly only in 2.4GHz and tried both with and without many times with Mavic and Ocusync Air unit and never saw a difference. So if any it is likely only for the 5.8 band.

Yeah, I'm trying to think when the 5.8 might be better. Perhaps at close range due to it's higher bandwidth, or since the pagoda is an omnidirectional type, if the Mavic would be in an area of low radiation for the 2.4 antenna. For sure, it wouldn't be that often.

It's only good if the 2.4 band is full of interference in your location and 5.8 isn't. In virtually any other scenario 2.4 is better.

Reactions: chipwich
Since it uses a different physical interface (MMCX), how would you attach it to the Goggles RE? The cylindrical antenna is not listed as an accessory for the Gogglers RE either.

So the cylindrical antenna is only for the video transmitter end. The goggles RE combo comes with the Ocusync transmitter and two cylindrical antennas.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d