DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Controller USB Fries Devices on Reboot

Reactions
Ok, I'm about to lose my mind here. First, a little back story.

I have an iPad Mini 4 that has been babied since the day I got it. I'm the sole user and I've only used the original iPad charger and cable that came with it. No damage to any three and has been working well for a year and a half.

Long story short, I lost connection to the Mavic so I rebooted the Mavic and Controller (while the iPad was still connected and on). After the reboot I could see the live feed and everything worked again. No problems. I take a few cool shots and then disconnect everything and bring it inside. A few hours later my iPad's screen froze then went to a black screen. It does not boot anymore. Took it to Apple and they said it's a fried logic board. Bummer. OK, **** happens. I suspected it was the controller because it was the last thing I had connected but no proof.

Now, few days later. I got a new iPhone straight from Apple. Again, reloaded Go app and signed in. Could see the feed just fine using the RC side cable. Just out of curiosity, I then unplugged it and tried the USB port on the bottom instead. Again working feed and no problem. I didn't fly with it though. I tried my theory that maybe it's the controller by keeping it plugged in and rebooting the controller. Phone still continued to work fine. Oh well, was just my imagination and trying to find an excuse. I put the Mavic away and didn't fly it since.

2 days later my new iPhone bootloops and will not boot anymore. Now I'm suspicious that maybe the controller might be pushing too high of a voltage and damaged both the iPhone and iPad. It just becomes a ticking time bomb until it finally dies.

Can someone please help me figure out if this is true? Is it just me and I have a defective controller? Maybe I just have super bad luck? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like bad luck. Really bad luck. if the controller was frying anything, it would do it while connected. There are very few IOS Virus's, Is it possible something you have loaded onto the devices is the culprit?

Nothing else loaded on iPhone other than Go App. Haven't even had a chance to settle in on the iPhone. It's only 5 days old.

Nothing else loaded on iPhone other than Go App. Haven't even had a chance to settle in on the iPhone. It's only 5 days old.
When the Ipad quit it was plugged into NOTHING? not even a charger? How about the Iphone?

When the Ipad quit it was plugged into NOTHING? not even a charger? How about the Iphone?

Correct. Both were completely unplugged since then. Ipad had about 65% battery remaining and was healthy because it would last me a few days or even a week or two before dying. IPhone had about 80% 90% battery as it was rarely used yet.

Did you have the charge device from RC setting to “on” or “off”

If I recall correctly it defaults to on each time I switch devices. It was set to on on the iPad so I turned it off as I had plenty of battery on iPad.

When connecting the iPhone, again it was set to on again but not sure if I turned it off with iPhone. I was doing a quick test to see if it works and if it would fry the iPhone. Some of you may think it's stupid to do this but the reason why there is nothing on the phone yet is that in the event it dies I can still replace it under warranty without worrying about data.

Reactions: radman
Hmm. If its USB-C then there are a LOT of non-standard wires out there lacking a resistor that causes that as a google engineer blogged about.

Hmm. If its USB-C then there are a LOT of non-standard wires out there lacking a resistor that causes that as a google engineer blogged about.

No USB C used at all. Only original Lightning cable that came with the iPad and iPhone and bottom USB port on RC controller (Type A one not AB). I used the iPad cable with the iPad and the new iPhone cable (as that was what was closest to me) with iPhone. Rules out cable itself at this point.

Need another iphone experiment to check this.....
One time - accident
Two times - coincident
Three times - system

What do you charge these devices with?

The controller and smart battery = The official DJI charger that came with the Mavic.

Phone = the new small wall charger and cable that came with it in the box

IPad = same.

I don't have another device to sacrifice lol.

So glad i dont use apple :)
Why? Rather be one of the hundreds here with android problems instead of being one of the 3 or 4 people with Apple trouble? Makes sense. :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone