DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 crash using intelligent flight modes

John117

Reactions
I write this post to share my experiences in two flights using the Mavic 2 resulting in a crash. I bought the drone in March 2020 and have clocked 8 hrs of flight since then. I love the sensors on the drone that make it stop once to close to objects. But I have two crashes that could easily been avoided if I planned my flights better.

Both happened using intelligent flight modes. I love the look when the drone circles around a moving object. Tried this several times with great result. But in this instance, I was skiing at the top of a mountain and wanted to get footage of the background as I used my cross-country skis along the track. There were no people or trees as far as eye could see, so the flight altitude was no more than 3 m. What I did not take in to consideration was that the track sloped slightly upwards, nothing that the drone corrects for. The ground was also covered with supersmooth and structureless hard snow. During flight, the drone circled around me ending up slamming sideways into the ground bending one of the front legs (got it fixed using a screwdriver). I also noticed that the side sensors are not active in program mode, so as the drone flies sideways, it won't see object coming. Drone worked fine afterwards.

The second crash was miscalculation of tree height and using the "Circle" intelligent flight mode. Again, side sensors are deactivated in Program mode. Got a kind mountain climber to get down the drone for me. So what did I learn? Plan all flights and fly high enough to avoid ALL obstacles. Obstacle height (ofcourse) vary when terrain is not flat

Great drone, not so great pilot.

Last edited:
I write this post to share my experiences in two flights using the Mavic 2 resulting in a crash. I bought the drone in March 2020 and have clocked 8 hrs of flight since then. I love the sensors on the drone that make it stop once to close to objects. But I have two crashes that could easily been avoided if I planned my flights better.

Both happened using intelligent flight modes. I love the look when the drone circles around a moving object. Tried this several times with great result. But in this instance, I was skiing at the top of a mountain and wanted to get footage of the background as I used my cross-country skis along the track. There were no people or trees as far as eye could see, so the flight altitude was no more than 3 m. What I did not take in to consideration was that the track sloped slightly upwards, nothing that the drone corrects for. The ground was also covered with supersmooth and structureless hard snow. During flight, the drone circled around me ending up slamming sideways into the ground bending one of the front legs (got it fixed using a screwdriver). I also noticed that the side sensors are not active in program mode, so as the drone flies sideways, it won't see object coming. Drone worked fine afterwards.

The second crash was miscalculation of tree height and using the "Circle" intelligent flight mode. Again, side sensors are deactivated in Program mode. Got a kind mountain climber to get down the drone for me. So what did I learn? Plan all flights and fly high enough to avoid ALL obstacles. Obstacle height (ofcourse) vary when terrain is not flat

Remember the height can be inaccurate. You need to land periodically to "re-calibrate' the height. I had an altercation with trees in Feb when the unit stated I was at 110 feet but in reality I was at tree level. Ouch. The drone was toast. Thanks to DJI care refresh I have a new M2Z and a terrific lesson learned. DONT TRUST THE HEIGHT. And be careful with the "intelligent" modes. You need to be ready always to abandon if they get to close to something.

I don’t think the sensors are on during quick shots..,cant say for sure as I only have a mini but thought i read That somewhere

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada