DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 2 crashed for no apparant reason.. help anyone?

nicopilot

Reactions
What a bad morning!
Flew my Mavic over a small town just at sunrise...
Without any warning it fell out of the sky and crashed into hundred pieces.
Txt File says it started with a "Gimbal Roll reached Movement Limit" and a second later "Motor Block"
Does anyone have an idea what this means?

Im devastated that this expensive camera just crashed, but still happy it didnt kill anyone.
Does it make sense to send it in and ask for a replacement or did I do anything wrong?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Something big happened at 7:33.s for sure, split second later it's rolling wildly and falling in a tumbling motion.
5 seconds later at 90' recording stopped after a 200' altitude loss, might have thrown a battery with the stresses of the fall / tumbling motion.

You found it obviously right below that last recorded point ?

My totally wild guess is you probably lost a prop, or had a bird strike that took out a prop.

Someone else will use the data analysis tools to have a proper look, I'd say they might want the DAT file off the device for motor info, can you get that and attach ?

Section 3.

Thank you for the replies and the first guess!
Yes I found most of the pieces right on the spot of signal loss, which is quite a miracle since its a quite densly built area with houses, roofs, yards and trees.

For some reason the MCDatFlightRecords Folder on my device is empty.
Is there a way to get it somewhere else?

Possibly i could connect the Mavic with my laptop, but I dont have the right cable with me at the moment. At least the engine is still running if I power it with a new battery. Does that make sense?

Never had any battery issues. I have 3 different ones, all of them first used 1 month ago.

If its of interest, I also had it analysed with AirData:

Thanks a lot for your help!

That's ok, if the DAT isn't in that folder then it isn't available.
The aircraft one is encrypted, only DJI can read that.

Wait for a bit when someone can load it up into one of the programmes to read / graph that txt.

Was the battery on the M2, or seperated ?
Not that it matters too much, it could easily have popped on on impact.
Maybe a better question is, if it was out of the aircraft, did you find it, and how far from the remainder of the body ?

The battery was seperated but only 1 metre away from the M2, so it looks like it only came out on the final impact. Its possible it came crashing down on tree or roof, and then hit the street below.
Very curious what the experts can be read in the data ..

I believe this was hardware related ... would have been good to have access to the mobile device DAT log ending with FLY083.DAT in this case though, but if it's gone then hard to come closer. Sync your flights & open a case with DJI for this ...

1587719419863.png

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Alright, thanks a lot for all the responses!
Im syncing the flights with DJI and hope for a quick replacement..

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-24 um 12.06.43.jpg

I believe this was hardware related ... would have been good to have access to the mobile device DAT log ending with FLY083.DAT in this case though, but if it's gone then hard to come closer. Sync your flights & open a case with DJI for this ...

View attachment 99502
The line above the highlighted portion, "Motor Obstructed" seems like it might have hit something, or something hit it.

This was motor failure - probably front right:

Attitude.png

It's a very similar response to a lost propeller, but distinguished by the OSD_isMotorBlocked flag going "True".

The mobile device DAT file ending FLY083.DAT would confirm the problem, but if you have already synchronized the flight records then it will have been deleted under the latest iOS version of the GO 4 app.

If under warranty still, the OP has a reasonable chance of a positive claim then I guess ?

The mobile device DAT file ending FLY083.DAT would confirm the problem, but if you have already synchronized the flight records then it will have been deleted under the latest iOS version of the GO 4 app.

So it's not just he mini that deletes the DAT ?
A recent change ?

Hmmm, I'm going to confirm I have auto sync off.

If under warranty still, the OP has a reasonable chance of a positive claim then I guess ?

So it's not just he mini that deletes the DAT ?
A recent change ?

Hmmm, I'm going to confirm I have auto sync off.

The last couple of iOS versions of the GO 4 app also delete the DAT file when the records are synchronized. I don't think the GO 4 app has an auto-sync option though - it's done manually from the records page. The Android version still doesn't do that.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Heres an update for everyone interested
After it took DJI about 3 weeks to locate my shipment in their warehouse and another 10 days for assessment, they decided to send me a replacement FREE OF CHARGE. Of course about 20 emails and phonecalls might have helped to make sure the issue wasnt ignored.
Im obviously glad about that and it looks like they also agree to hardware failure as reason of crash.
Happy end.

Reactions: sar104
Heres an update for everyone interested
After it took DJI about 3 weeks to locate my shipment in their warehouse and another 10 days for assessment, they decided to send me a replacement FREE OF CHARGE. Of course about 20 emails and phonecalls might have helped to make sure the issue wasnt ignored.
Im obviously glad about that and it looks like they also agree to hardware failure as reason of crash.
Happy end.

Their diagnosis should have been, and probably was, motor failure, so it was the correct response.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman