Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced thermal camera performance

sar104

Dic mihi solum facta, domina.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.mavicpilots.com
I've been running some tests to establish maximum heights and distances for search and rescue for reliable detection of subjects using the new InfiRay 640 x 512 radiometric IR camera on the M2EA. The camera has exceeded my expectations, and so far seems to be beating the more expensive and heavier FLIR versions such as the DUO Pro R that I have on a different platform (so the platform may also be contributing). The video linked below illustrates the results at 120 - 150 ft AGL in complete darkness with a forward-looking gimbal pitch. The unwitting volunteers are mostly deer, but extra points for spotting the fox.

This technology is increasing at an impressive pace. It's a shame that there is not a single drone manufacturer on the current federal approved list offering this capability.

Very impressive but no points for me. Seems like a wide dynamic range with better than the specified resolution. Do you happen to know the wavelength range of the sensor?

4:32 ish left hand side.

What time of day was this flight ?
Wondering if the white spots are rocks still retaining some heat.

Certainly very nice results, and although without the fix spotting it would be a bit like watching grass grow, that's the way to fly S&R, nice and slow so pilot (and extra spotter ?) can watch the screen carefully.

Even through the thicker canopy in sections of the footage remained quite ok to search at that speed.

Was that flown cinematic ? Or automated flight ?

I also wonder how these cameras go when someone is hypothermic, often their body temps external can be really low.

4:32 ish left hand side.

What time of day was this flight ?
Wondering if the white spots are rocks still retaining some heat.

Certainly very nice results, and although without the fix spotting it would be a bit like watching grass grow, that's the way to fly S&R, nice and slow so pilot (and extra spotter ?) can watch the screen carefully.

Even through the thicker canopy in sections of the footage remained quite ok to search at that speed.

Was that flown cinematic ? Or automated flight ?

I also wonder how these cameras go when someone is hypothermic, often their body temps external can be really low.

Yes - that was the fox. I flew that manually in regular P mode. It was around 2330, so 3½ hours after sunset. It is interesting how much heat is retained by the rocks.

The visibility of hypothermic subjects is presumably going to depend on the ambient temperature - i.e. improve as ambient temperature decreases. And since they are less likely to get hypothermic in warmer conditions that's an advantage. An exception might be rapid surface cooling in water.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have been trying to find an LED that can be seen with the M2 EA. I have a very high grade battery powered human identifier that puts of a 940 nm light and cannot see it at all witb tbe Thermal, anyone know what LED light Spectral Range can be seen when in thermal only ? Thanks

I have been trying to find an LED that can be seen with the M2 EA. I have a very high grade battery powered human identifier that puts of a 940 nm light and cannot see it at all witb tbe Thermal, anyone know what LED light Spectral Range can be seen when in thermal only ? Thanks
I stated the spectral range of the thermal camera in post #5.

One thing I noticed and can appreciate is your flying. Very smooth and controlled stick movements. Professional.

Also is it confirmed about the InfiRay sensor? I have always wondered which sensor is being used.

The more I test the MEA, the more I am impressed with it. I do find it to be a very useful tool for a lot of different scenarios. For my use case Public Safety, with some flat roof inspections and building heat loss thrown in I am very happy with it.

In NJ last week we had tornados touch down from the remnants of Ida and we responded through Mutual Aid with our aircraft. While our Evo 2 Dual was live streaming back to the EOC, I used my personal MEA to produce an ortho map of two different areas. The 48MP (Yquad buffered) produced a nice point cloud and then ortho. The 32X zoom also came in handy when I had not put in a LAANC, but then found I needed to view something in controlled airspace. I just parked my aircraft in Class G and used the 32 zoom to inspect. Saved me some time, but more importantly battery.

Thank you for sharing.

I've been running some tests to establish maximum heights and distances for search and rescue for reliable detection of subjects using the new InfiRay 640 x 512 radiometric IR camera on the M2EA. The camera has exceeded my expectations, and so far seems to be beating the more expensive and heavier FLIR versions such as the DUO Pro R that I have on a different platform (so the platform may also be contributing). The video linked below illustrates the results at 120 - 150 ft AGL in complete darkness with a forward-looking gimbal pitch. The unwitting volunteers are mostly deer, but extra points for spotting the fox.

This technology is increasing at an impressive pace. It's a shame that there is not a single drone manufacturer on the current federal approved list offering this capability.
This is great. Thanks for the sample. We're thinking of buying one for over the ocean endangered marine mammal surveys as well as for anti-poaching activities. The resolution looks better than the old Martrice 100 that had a FLIR 640 x 480.

Edited to ask if the thermal camera can be used in daylight as well? I'm assuming yes?

This is great. Thanks for the sample. We're thinking of buying one for over the ocean endangered marine mammal surveys as well as for anti-poaching activities. The resolution looks better than the old Martrice 100 that had a FLIR 640 x 480.

Edited to ask if the thermal camera can be used in daylight as well? I'm assuming yes?
Yes - it works fine in daylight since it is looking at emitted long-wavelength IR, but remember that during the day, objects in full sunlight will heat up, so the difference in temperature between the subjects of interest and the surroundings may be significantly reduced.

Reactions: Gringorio
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54