DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Fatal Flaw: Broken Camera/Gimbal?

Waiting for this to blow over. People would accept manufacturing defects, as long as it's not their device. Then they want compensation, for the defective device, and emotional and psychological scares they experienced.
And yet, I am sure most of you guys heard of Takata's defective airbags. Must be millions out there, and yet there's a lot of people who haven't even bothered to have their car sent in to have their airbags replaced even if it's free.
People are strange. They don't want to end up with a defective product, but if they do, it's so much easier to moan and cry about it, instead of getting it replaced under warranty and move on.

I don't think the issues are that widespread (yet), but for those of you that closely follow the DJI forums, there have been several unhappy customers posting about their Mavic 2 Pro, then the post is quickly removed by Mods, or moved to a hidden section (shady yes, but good for the bottom line, and morals are for individuals, not large companies). During the day, they disappear very rapidly. Unhappy posts made in the evening or during the night seem to persist often till about 4am, for whatever relevant time zone that would be. Many people don't or haven't posted issues publicly, and I would venture that many people who experience a problem with DJI products, and other brands immediately go through customer service to get it resolved, unless they are wise enough and patient enough to wait till Sep 3rd when you can simply buy it from Amazon and have 30 days of actual quality customer service.

Of the hundreds or thousands they've sold already, how many have posted their experiences or did the survey for new owners on this site? ....... not many. It seems some people here instantly start calling anyone who says they have a problem a troll or liar. I don't have any skin in the game, so I'm just taking a wait and see attitude. With the delay of the big launch, and the unofficial reason for the delay being gimbal issues, it wouldn't surprise me if there are some bugs to work out. For those of you that buy immediately and live on the ragged edge, I admire your enthusiasm and financial courage, really. I'm just to old and frugal to do much of that anymore. I would like to get a Mavic 2 Pro in the next 6 months, since it's pretty much everything I had hoped for, except for actual crash AVOIDANCE in most flight modes. Hopefully they will change that in a firmware update, but the side and rear sensors might not be capable of detecting andstopping the craft when moving at higher speeds from a hardware standpoint, or else why wouldn't they just do that right off the bat. Other than that, it seems like a great drone. The way people here have been clamoring for a Mavic with a 1 inch sensor, I'm a little surprised there weren't more Mavic pilots buying immediately.

I wish you guys all the best, and for what it's worth, alcohol can not only dissolve the glue that holds the camera glass on, it can remove chemical lens coatings if they are applied externally. Reading glasses and lenses often have optical enhancing coatings, and i would expect a "Hasselblad" camera to use them, just like fine binoculars or gun scopes, but perhaps it's more name than meat, like Sony's "Zeiss" camera lenses. Just something to keep in mind when cleaning.

Regards,

Kevin

Is Dustin sniffing that so-called Glue? somebody get him in on this, please.
sorry I don't do FaceAche if that's where this is panning out
this guy's handle is unnerving
Edit;
I've missed a few pages since last night (now going over them)

Last edited:
but for those of you that closely follow the DJI forums, there have been several unhappy customers posting about their Mavic 2 Pro, then the post is quickly removed by Mods, or moved to a hidden section
That's why I don't read that forum, it's biased in favor of DJI because of how they moderate. It's also important to be mindful of negativity bias. Negative experiences will be posted with greater fervent and frequency than positive experiences.

It seems some people here instantly start calling anyone who says they have a problem a troll or liar.
I find people here are generally respectful when people post issues they encounter and ask for additional information before making that leap. The easiest way to avoid this is to provide the log file from the incident. Many posts here include sob stories and photos about how the drone just fell out of the sky or this and that but nothing substantive to back it up. Too often these end up being user error. When the logs are requested, they either ignore the request or come up with excuses why they can't upload the log, even after instructions on how to do so are provided.

This gimbal case is different since the claim is that just just fell off on its own. It could be a QC error, but it also might not be. It's anyone's guess at this point.

With the delay of the big launch, and the unofficial reason for the delay being gimbal issues, it wouldn't surprise me if there are some bugs to work out.
There are absolutely bugs that need to be worked out. Nothing will ever be perfect. The gimbal being a possible reason for the delay was reported by one guy on twitter who has a track record of less than reliable leaks. Could he have been right? Sure, but nobody outside of DJI knows for sure right now.

Skitch (2).png
So Dustin, would you mind explaining the scrape/knock/marking to the paint finish as indicated by the arrow in the picture
I guess his full Name is Dustin Hoffleblad?
Is this Rainman 2?

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
That's why I don't read that forum, it's biased in favor of DJI because of how they moderate. It's also important to be mindful of negativity bias. Negative experiences will be posted with greater fervent and frequency than positive experiences.

I find people here are generally respectful when people post issues they encounter and ask for additional information before making that leap. The easiest way to avoid this is to provide the log file from the incident. Many posts here include sob stories and photos about how the drone just fell out of the sky or this and that but nothing substantive to back it up. Too often these end up being user error. When the logs are requested, they either ignore the request or come up with excuses why they can't upload the log, even after instructions on how to do so are provided.

This gimbal case is different since the claim is that just just fell off on its own. It could be a QC error, but it also might not be. It's anyone's guess at this point.

There are absolutely bugs that need to be worked out. Nothing will ever be perfect. The gimbal being a possible reason for the delay was reported by one guy on twitter who has a track record of less than reliable leaks. Could he have been right? Sure, but nobody outside of DJI knows for sure right now.

Thumbswayup

Reactions: wytnyt
This has been completely blown out of proportion. Same image as appeared everywhere and can't say that we've seen any other occurrence of this. Rumor has it the owner dropped it and it hit the corner of a table, but again, that may be just a rumor. Either way, I'm sure DJI is all over this to put the unnecessary publicity to rest over one occurrence.

I talked to DJI today about the Gimbal coming off and they told me it is no big deal and said here is what happened " That particular Mavic 2 Pro was the last one coming off the assembly line that day and they ran out of Glue and the tech just improvised and used his chewing Gum " the worker was reprimanded and told to in the future to chew Glue instead of Gum, nothing to see here. Yes I'm just kidding everyone calm down.

Reactions: Joola

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
573Trader